• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Bloomberg: Take-Two shutters Intercept Games (Kerbal Space Program 2) and Roll7 (OlliOlli World, Rollerdrome)

frog

Spin it, boys!
Screenshot-20240501-133527.jpg

Roll7's getting shuttered but hey, at least Take-Two made sure to drop $460 million on frikkin Gearbox last month just to rub even more salt in the wound

No money in the budget for fun or creative games I guess, what the world really needs is even more Borderlands

Roll7 wasn't a huge studio, I hope they will regroup outside of Take Two.

But incredibly stupid move to shut it down after one failure. And I should remind them that they didn't even bother to port Rollerdrome to Switch, where it could have been a good seller like OlliOlli World was.

Big shame for Intercept Games. If I recall correctly Kerbal Space Program 2 launched as $50 EA and has been an absolute shitshow as if it was just rushed out to boost revenue. What a joke.

There's no spinning it, purchasing Roll7 and then shuttering them in less than 3 years is unconscionable. 2K deserve all the flak they get after that

Very cool to fuck over and gut Uber/Star Theory and then shut down the studio built on its corpse four years later. Fuck you.

Last edited:
Roll7's getting shuttered but hey, at least Take-Two made sure to drop $460 million on frikkin Gearbox last month just to rub even more salt in the wound

No money in the budget for fun or creative games I guess, what the world really needs is even more Borderlands
Borderlands as possible game/tv show makes all money sense.
But the other moves are just making the industry to feel smaller and smaller. Very risky. A bad timed or bad impression of a new game seems to put devs out of work in a bit. No room for experiments, new things...

I thought the Kerbal developers were indie. I guess not.
They are indie. The Kerbal 2 developers were not indie.

The level of fuckery here is complicated, but Take-Two bought the Kerbal IP in exchange for handling the console ports. They then contracted Uber Entertainment (Monday Night Combat) for Kerbal 2 while Squad continued on Kerbal 1.

Uber changed its name to Star Theory, and the Take-Two executed a move to intentionally bankrupt the studio and then hire the team members one-by-one instead of acquire the studio and pay the founders. They started a new internal studio from the pieces.

That studio is Intercept. Apparently Kerbal 2 has been so deeply fucked that late in the process, Squad starting managing Kerbal 2. I have no idea of Squad will continue to function handling Kerbal 2, or remain solvent and independent without Take-Two money, but they remain a technically independent studio. Intercept was just a bunch of victims of Take-Two horseshit, jerked around for years and now kicked to the Kerb.

I'm not too familar with the Kerbel Space Program devs but Roll7 is a rough loss :(

I hope everyone involved can land on their feet the best way possible.

Fuck capitalism. Fuck these CEOs.

I never played any of their games but this industry is so fucking god awful and depressing to look at.

Lay-offs coming from companies that are swimming in cash already piss me off.

Knowing these lay-offs include people who worked on OlliOlli World makes me even angrier.

Screw those greedy corporate overlords and shareholders.

Borderlands as possible game/tv show makes all money sense.
But the other moves are just making the industry to feel smaller and smaller. Very risky. A bad timed or bad impression of a new game seems to put devs out of work in a bit. No room for experiments, new things...
With the kind of writing I experienced from Borderlands 2 up through whatever that mess Tiny Tina, best case is a single season on Prime that cuts out the last four episodes for a double feature finale.

I'd watch it out of sheer curiosity. Aren't most kids who grew up with Borderlands in their mid twenties? Is the humor even relevant now?

Big shame for Intercept Games. If I recall correctly Kerbal Space Program 2 launched as $50 EA and has been an absolute shitshow as if it was just rushed out to boost revenue. What a joke.

What’s even more baffling is that they wanted to release the game first but decided to delay it for a year. Even then the game turned out to be Donkey dung

so uhhh weird update. They are now claiming they DIDN'T

It's a "well, no, but actually yes" kind of response. The piece already points out that the workforce (at least some of it) could've been integrated into another studio, Private Division.

i mean they've lied and done this before so their word means nothing here tbh.

Back
Top Bottom