• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Biscuits and gravy is the best breakfast dish!

Rika

Bob-omb
Banned
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
biscuits-and-gravy-1.jpg

This is still like one of my top favorite breakfast dishes. I am sure a lot of non Americans will not know of this, so let me tell you about it.

A popular breakfast dish throughout the United States of America, especially in the Southern parts of the country, biscuits 'n' gravy consists of tender dough biscuits that are covered in a thick gravy, usually made from the drippings of pork sausages, flour, and milk.

Although the word biscuit usually refers to twice-baked bread, the American version of a biscuit is more reminiscent of a European scone. The dish originated in the South just after the Revolutionary War, before the United States was even a country. It was invented due to the fact that the supplies were scarce, and the breakfast meal had to be as inexpensive as possible. It's easy to see why biscuits 'n' gravy is so loved - it illustrates the Southern theme of a simple life and brings the familiarity and nostalgia of a traditional family breakfast.

There are even videos of non Americans trying it! :)

I like it paired with hash browns or by itself. It's a very unhealthy meal, so yeahhh... I guess like...comment whatever? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Have any recipes or ways to spice it up?

yeah its pretty top tier

get a sunnyside up egg on the same plate and let that yolk run wild into the gravy and it goes up another level

It is yeah. I'm making them for breakfast in the morning tomorrow.

Also, scones wish they could lol.

That is a scone :)
Oooh I love learning about regional differences! Where exactly are these called scones? I know in England their "biscuits" are what we call "cookies," (to say nothing of the chips vs crisps confusion), is this another England vs USA thing? Here in the States the things we call "scones" look like this:
scone-varieties.jpg

I've had the honour of having scones in the UK. They weren't like biscuits at all lol. Not in texture nor in taste.

Their idea of pancakes are just crepes as well. Which, fine crepes are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but when you thought you were gonna have some nice fluffy thick flapjacks and get handed a plate of crepes...

I don't even want to talk about what they would bring you if you asked for flapjacks. :rolleyes:

Nope. Blueberry pancakes with eggs, smoke sausage links, and corn beef hash.

Wait are we supposed to comment on biscuits and gravy or are we supposed to share what our favorite breakfast is?

yeah its pretty top tier

get a sunnyside up egg on the same plate and let that yolk run wild into the gravy and it goes up another level
oh yeah, never thought of that.

Our breakfast is such a meal you can usually get it in pubs any time as an "All day breakfast"

I'm not going to discuss what is actually in it due to regional differences

As a Southerner privy to this truth, the west coast is a blight on breakfast foods. You'd think some hipster spot would have figured it out, nope, hope you like savory muffins and/or overproofed scones, I'd even rather canned biscuit over what I do get.

Unfortunately I have to try it every instance I get, which my wife hates, because it usually means I huff and push the plate away a bite into the meal lol some are close, but it's not worth the prices out here either.

Ugh, don't get me started on grits...

As a Southerner privy to this truth, the west coast is a blight on breakfast foods. You'd think some hipster spot would have figured it out, nope, hope you like savory muffins and/or overproofed scones, I'd even rather canned biscuit over what I do get.

Unfortunately I have to try it every instance I get, which my wife hates, because it usually means I huff and push the plate away a bite into the meal lol some are close, but it's not worth the prices out here either.

It’s the flour. I loved to the NE from Florida and the biscuits are just…. Something off about them. Went on a rabbit hole online and found out it’s the flour, particularly soft wheat flour that is common in the south from Florida to North Carolina and all southern adjoining states.

I finally ordered off Amazon soft wheat flour (white lily brand). Success!

My go to order whenever I'm out for breakfast anywhere for the first time. I'm from the midwest, but as with many things, I imagine it's one of the areas lesser removed from the original southern intention of the dish.

I’m a southerner and think it’s good but slightly overrated. I love runny eggs though so I prefer a good runny egg dish. I also love good southern bacon and sausage.

Also the gravy needs to be extra peppery.

I think theres nothing better than toast, eggs and perhaps some bacon or beans. Don't need to make it complicated.

Okay here we go, my favorites are:

Eggs Benedict with a side of crispy hash browns, munch through the eggs benny real quick then stir the leftover hollandaise and egg yolk into the hash browns and they become like my breakfast dessert.

My other favorite is this thing called an enchilada omelette that I've had a couple times at this diner I accidentally found while out of town. Seasoned taco beef, tortilla strips, green chiles, black olives, all in an omelette and topped with enchilada sauce. It rocks and I don't care who thinks it's an abomination.

I probably grossed a bunch of people out. I don't care. The best breakfast foods are supposed to be a guilty pleasure.

My go to order whenever I'm out for breakfast anywhere for the first time. I'm from the midwest, but as with many things, I imagine it's one of the areas lesser removed from the original southern intention of the dish.
Yep, same. I just do not like ordering typical bacon, eggs, and sausage.
I think theres nothing better than toast, eggs and perhaps some bacon or beans. Don't need to make it complicated.
Agreed honestly. This isn't something you should have every day anyway IMO. We only do it once a month or so.

seattle had a couple good breakfast spots, but you reqlly had to stick to dishes that were based more around eggs and potatoes

I miss biscuits and gravy so much! I hate when British people call them scones though. They look similar but are pretty different in terms of flavor and texture. Not that hard to look up.

I kinda forget about biscuits and gravy tbh, but they are pretty damn good. I think the last time I had a really good plate of them was back in 2014 at this restaurant in North GA.

I had bad biscuits and gravy today 😔
Aw, that sucks. I honestly think some even at restaurants can be bad especially if they use canned gravy. A local diner has the best gravy I used to go to until life circumstances happened. Always went there for their biscuits and gray, hash browns, or American fries.

I’m particular to chicken and waffles personally even if it’s rare I have em. My mom makes a mean biscuits and gravy tho

What are the chances that a thread about breakfast food could lead to war between the US and England..? 😅

Avocado on toast is the way to go. A classic here in Chile.

BaTTyLC.png

Back
Top Bottom