• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Bill & Ted's Excellent Retro Collection to be delisted 01-01-2024

Didnt even survive a full year on the eShop. Still has bugs with loading save states causing a phantom a button input. Uses abhorrent save + quit nonsense to make/load save states rather than normal save states every darn emulator has had for a decade now.

Almost no bonuses or really any sort of polish at all (not even scanned manuals which is essential for the NES game, even though it still sucks anyway) and yet this was a big release for the “carbon engine” they kept yapping about which hasn’t really shown anything too special yet featurewise.

I also find it mildly amusing that this pretty much confirms it probably didnt sell well despite the ex COO insisting to me on another forum (cheapassgamer) that it did great lol, since it was no doubt nightmarishly expensive to get the rights to this, and in the end it basically shadowdropped without much of a word. Now it’s being delisted 11 months later.

A buggy collection of terrible retro games based on a movie license failing to sell and getting delisted?

Shocker.

BOGUS

These games aren't very good, don't FOMO and buy them just cause.
This cannot be repeated enough. A lot of licensed games can be defended with the "It's not great, but if you're a fan of the franchise..." mantra. Not these ones, though; they're just bad. The fact that someone went through the trouble of bringing them back at all is absolutely wild.

This cannot be repeated enough. A lot of licensed games can be defended with the "It's not great, but if you're a fan of the franchise..." mantra. Not these ones, though; they're just bad. The fact that someone went through the trouble of bringing them back at all is absolutely wild.
All games deserve to be preserved, no matter how terrible.

I really hope LRG learns from this incident. Their push into random licensed games of dubious quality this year alongside “meme games” never felt like a smart decision, and this sort of confirms that was a misfire.

I mean, both games are very cheap and easy to get out in the wild so they aren't even rare; if they included that point and click that was pretty hard to find then I think you'd see a lot more people backing this.

Hell, I even think the GB game is an OK time, but with them not even adding proper save states and having it so that when you load a save, it presses A (meaning if you save underneath an enemy in the game, quit, then come back, you'll jump right into them and die), it just comes off as a very cheap set.

Doubly so for the Boy and his Blob set, which I actually looked forward to until I noticed it had the same damn save and quit nonsense, no save states/bonuses besides the OST (and uh, Boy and his Blob and OST do not go together) and JP versions of the game (with no context with why they are there), and when I beat the NES boy and his blob with the speedrun trick, wow, they didn't even emulate the crowd noise sample! (It just makes static). A NES emulator in 2023 missing sound channels. Incredible.

So yeah like, as much as I did dig the Xtreme Sports GBC port this year, I feel anything with remote effort from Carbon so far is partly due to LRG working with publishers with $$$. And considering Embracer bought them mainly because of this very engine, and how that company is holding on lately... Yeah, I think the CEOs made a really big mistake. When the unnamed Ratalaika Games wrapper for retro ports like Cotton and Turrican work better with more features than their "Carbon Engine" they hired a bunch of techie youtubers to make, that should be pretty telling that something continues to not be well at LRG, as has always been the case.

So yeah like, we could have had a set where at the very least, we got cool manual scans, save states, and limited bonuses, which would be remotely akin to preservation, rather than two games slapped together in a very shoddy emulator with a buggy save system that crashes on PS5 off and on, per people who own that version, which isn't preservation and more of "dumb CEO spends money on a scheme that backfires".

Boy and his Blob added maps, which helps for those games, but they seem to be yoinked from VGMaps, or at least gives me vibes of that website's map layout. (I'm gonna guess they did get permission for that though) Otherwise though when your company gets purchased up because of a "big thing", and that "big thing" ends up being pretty underwhelming, it doesn't look good as a whole

No argument here, but I wasn't talking about that. The "why would they bring them back" bit was more from a business point of view. As in "these games aren't very good and most people that could be interested in them know it, why would LRG think this would work". I do admit that I didn't express myself clearly in my previous post; sorry about that.

No argument here, but I wasn't talking about that. The "why would they bring them back" bit was more from a business point of view. As in "these games aren't very good and most people that could be interested in them know it, why would LRG think this would work". I do admit that I didn't express myself clearly in my previous post; sorry about that.
I have to imagine LRG's business model has been a success because the licenses for some of these games aren't that expensive, especially if you don't plan to sell them long term.

at least their mantra of "forever physical" works out here, so you can still get the collection in some form even though the license expired.

copies will probably end up trapped in various convention spaces and their retail store for quite some time though, like that random Lawbreakers physical edition that no longer works due to it being an online only game.
LawBreakers-PS4.png

Back
Top Bottom