• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Biggest gulf in quality between two official versions of a piece of game music?

the Game Boy MegaMan 2 is probably the best example, something went horribly wrong with that game in particular

Going from one of the best video game themes of all time with great storytelling

To this .... which sounds like a parody that would be on The Secret Life of Pets or some shit ....

Why does the second vocalist sound like they're drowning?

As far as Sonic goes .... the vocal version of His World

is such a downgrade from just the instrumental version ....

Sonic chronicles is a literal gold mind for horrific remixes
Here is the original:
Here is the remix:

Figured Sonic Chronicles would be the first post, lol. Also people who aren't as familair with the game should REALLY check out what the ending is like. The whole game is wild in how insanely mismanaged it was.
Personally, I've always found 1-1 remix from Mario Galaxy to be very grating. Something about how high-pitched it is. The one from Fortune Street, on the other hand? Majestic.

I knew this was going to be Sonic Chronicles before opening the thread lmao

Stilt Village if you count that lol but I guess those are just different songs for the same area with the same name

Ok, using Sonic Chronicles feels like cheating, considering the remixes are so dreadful I wasn't able to tell what some of the songs were supposed to even be for years.

But immediately what comes to mind after that, isn't even that bad of a song originally. They just went insane on a very short loop of a song for a remake that didn't let you use the dpad despite it only having 8 digital directions of movement.

I been reviewing music from the ridge racer series recently, and I think this one fits the bill, though it's a remix
Original:
Remix:
And the original track is already great, there are just some technical limitations

Last edited:
Fite me: Every single version I’ve heard of One Winged Angel is worse than the original.
The metal electric guitar drop in the Advent Children version is just so ineffective

I’m a pretty adamant defender for a lot of Smash Bros remixes that others deride as being lesser, but this one is…. pretty egregious, wtf were they cooking:

Persona:
It's actually so easy to find the egregious instances of Persona music downgrades all thanks to the Persona dancing games. There's occasionally good remixes, but there are some truly terrible ones. The one that insults me more than any other though is Rivers in the Desert -mito Remix. It's actually impressive how genuinely awful this track is.

Original P5:
Remix P5: D:

Xenoblade:
There's two areas where I can think of a main track that's questionable. I don't like the version of You Will Know Our Names in Xenoblade Definitive Edition, but it's not a substantial downgrade, it's mainly the choice of some instruments that I don't particularly like. The only other one that comes to mind is Counterattack in Smash Bros. This isn't a bad track... but it's so disappointing when you compare it to the original. Xenoblade as a series is pretty underrepresented in terms of remixes, with the main four being two medleys of Xenoblade 1 and 2 respectively, Tiger Tiger! which is alright, and this. It absolutely misses the core appeal of the original versions of Xenoblade tracks, the core instrumentals aren't impactful at all and lack any sort of punch that it needs, and the beat dropping for the violin is so undercooked that it borders on insulting to the original tbh.

Original XC2:
Remix Smash Ult.:

Both of these are great, with Kraid's Lair being among my favorite themes across the whole series, but Zero Mission's rendition is so good.

Fite me: Every single version I’ve heard of One Winged Angel is worse than the original.
I don’t know why they keep trying to force it to be metal.

It’s a weird orchestral track that’s not built for it.

But even then every meta fan remix sounds better so idk.

I’m a pretty adamant defender for a lot of Smash Bros remixes that others deride as being lesser, but this one is…. pretty egregious, wtf were they cooking:

I almost like what they were going for with some of the Ska elements but that lead is just obnoxious. It's such a shame that the Splatoon remixes in Ultimate missed the mark so hard. I do love the Bomb Rush Blush remix though, Tomoya Ohtani's more recent DJ inspired techno stuff just works so well with Splatoon.

Was coming to post this. Seriously, what the hell happened here?

While no means the worst example (as evidenced by the examples already shared by Fami here), the GBA soundcard really didn't do this song any favors. Well, it did if you were told this was playing after Bowser's chili night or something.

gba sound moment. the latter is an official version of what it's supposed to sound like without limitations. the former is damn good, but by the gods the real thing is on another level

(give it a second)

Last edited:
You're not wrong. I definitely went through a phase when I heard the Advent Children version where I thought "whoa this is the coolest thing EVER!" but then over time I decided the same thing. The original just has more... punch, and sounds a lot more ominous.

Back
Top Bottom