• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Betting Time: Will Nintendo show off new hardware at The Game Awards?

Do you think they will do this?

• Yes

Votes: 14 3.8%
  • No

Votes: 354 96.2%

• Total voters
lol-no.gif

I know it’s Christmas times and we all have hopes and wishes, but TGA isn’t the Super Bowl or the Academy awards. Nintendo isn’t anymore in desperate need to make the Switch visible…

The game awards are by no measure an important show. Why would Nintendo make such an important announcement there of all things.

the game awards audience is exactly the market segment nintendo should be targeting with the device

I suppose that depends on it being real but I would consider, for example, nothing at the game awards but a reveal in january a missed opportunity
Why would Nintendo willingly sabotage their holiday sales like that?

the game awards audience is exactly the market segment nintendo should be targeting with the device

I suppose that depends on it being real but I would consider, for example, nothing at the game awards but a reveal in january a missed opportunity
The nice thing about the super, duper core audience, which is what the game awards caters to, is that they'll also watch Nintendo directs or consume major gaming news regularly. So they'll be marketed towards regardless of Nintendo skipping TGAs or not.

Why would Nintendo willingly sabotage their holiday sales like that?
Do people really buy holiday gifts right before Christmas? I mean, I guess it makes sense but I hadn't thought of it that way

The nice thing about the super, duper core audience, which is what the game awards caters to, is that they'll also watch Nintendo directs or consume major gaming news regularly. So they'll be marketed towards regardless of Nintendo skipping TGAs or not.
This makes sense too. As long as Twitter still exists they'll have an easy time reaching people

The inherent problem form a marketing perspective (ignoring the fact that unlike the Wii U, the Switch is still selling a ton) is that Nintendo will have to fight for attention at the game awards. A random twitter update actually is better for a marketing perspective for Nintendo because its Nintendo. People will stop and report it no matter when they announce it. Far better to be the only news to report than to be forced to compete with a bunch of other updates. This is also ignoring that while the initial Switch reveal was fine, they dedicated their own event to it which is what got people's attention (mainly due to the Zelda trailer). Nintendo probably won't want to share the spotlight when it announces its new console and they know they are important enough to not need the game awards to do it.

Do people really buy holiday gifts right before Christmas? I mean, I guess it makes sense but I hadn't thought of it that way
Revealing a new console on December 8th would essentially be killing two weeks of Christmas sales, the busiest time of year. So yes.

Voting "Yes" is another level of hopium but I respect it.

doesn't that take you to the hopeless place
you know, the one entirely lacking in chances

Revealing a new console on December 8th would essentially be killing two weeks of Christmas sales, the busiest time of year. So yes.
That's without considering how many people can still return their now-outdated gifts before or after Christmas.

And, again, they'll want to be able to control their narrative. They'll want to be the news, rather than some big news amongst a veritable deluge of other news. They'll want to ensure the whole newscycle supports them.

unfortunately I suspect that you're right

a random tuesday on twitter will have to do
Are Nintendo Twitter Directs what's serving as Twitter's life support?

I said “No” because I don’t think Nintendo would use TGA as a platform for showing off new hardware for the first time.

The other slant about it eating at their holiday sales I’m not so sure about. If they announced it early January vs second week of December just how large of an impact could that possibly have? We’re already past an apparently successful Black Friday shop. And I’d guess the majority of the audience buying them this holiday are not the same audience that would be early adopters of a new system.

I said “No” because I don’t think Nintendo would use TGA as a platform for showing off new hardware for the first time.

The other slant about it eating at their holiday sales I’m not so sure about. If they announced it early January vs second week of December just how large of an impact could that possibly have? We’re already past an apparently successful Black Friday shop. And I’d guess the majority of the audience buying them this holiday are not the same audience that would be early adopters of a new system.
The point is it makes no sense to kneecap the momentum of an item that is still in high demand when millions of people are still Christmas shopping. There’s no good reason for an announcement like this to be made when the holidays are far from over.

The point is it makes no sense to kneecap the momentum of an item that is still in high demand when millions of people are still Christmas shopping. There’s no good reason for an announcement like this to be made when the holidays are far from over.

There’s going to be a point in time where starting the marketing machine for a new product is of greater value than squeezing more out of the nearly 6 year old hardware.

We don’t know when it’s coming - speculation based on previous reporting has most pegging March-May 2023. Marketing needs to kick off soon if that’s the case.

they are very based.
... Very much given to their basest selves?

That's ok, there's still 11 of my strongest warriors who will not give in to peer pressure
I don't know, Lant.
I voted yes because it would be funny
only chose yes because its funny
They might not back down, but I'm getting some questionable vibes from your strongest warriors.

Fight the good fight, my friends.

There’s going to be a point in time where starting the marketing machine for a new product is of greater value than squeezing more out of the nearly 6 year old hardware.
That point in time is almost never during Christmas.

That point in time is almost never during Christmas.

Didn’t stop Microsoft with TGA 2019. Sure Microsoft didn’t have nearly the strong position that Nintendo does with Switch, but I just dislike how quick some are to shut things down as being impossible or foolish to speculate on.

I doubt Nintendo would "burn" switch sales for the holiday, so a big no here.
However, I'm feeling Nintendo will be showing something good at the TGA - betting on either a new Mario movie teaser, a TotK video or even something related to Metroid

Edited all out because apparently my memory is completely failing me and the switch was confirmed.much earlier than I thought. 👍.

One day I'll fact check before hitting post I stead of right after.

If we get a new console announcement, it would likely be next year around January -March at the earliest. This is assuming the Drake model is coming out the same time as loz:Totk in May.

hey didn't even show the switch until January for the March launch and all they needed to worry about then was the shuffling corpse (and that's a generous description) of the Wii U, while also convincing everyone it would recover from the worst mistake in the companies history. Even if the switch 2 is releasing I'm march-may, they'll be fine not showing it until next year.
Nintendo gave the first reveal of the switch in October 2016.

The only scenario where a new Switch is announced is if it’s at minimum $400. Otherwise you’re just pissing off a bunch of holiday shoppers. Maybe that’s too low honestly. You would need to differentiate it so much from the current models in order not to be rightfully ridiculed.

The only scenario where a new Switch is announced is if it’s at minimum $400. Otherwise you’re just pissing off a bunch of holiday shoppers. Maybe that’s too low honestly. You would need to differentiate it so much from the current models in order not to be rightfully ridiculed.
How could it be less than $400 when OLED Switch is still at $350 MSRP? I'd actually be surprised if it's less than $450.
But a TGA announcement isn't going to happen anyway.

How could it be less than $400 when OLED Switch is still at $350 MSRP? I'd actually be surprised if it's less than $450.
But a TGA announcement isn't going to happen anyway.
I really just mean I think they wouldn’t announce a system so close to the holiday unless it was more expensive than their current model so as not to make recent purchasers too bitter. Otherwise they’d just wait until February or later to announce.

But I don’t see them going $400 or higher. That would be unprecedented for them. $350 is already high for Nintendo but they basically did it with the Wii U’s black model so not entirely new. I’m guessing they will either phase out the older models or finally give a price drop. Launching a new system at $400 would be surprising with Nintendo.

Back
Top Bottom