• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Best Nintendo developed game ever

Best Nintendo developed game ever?

• Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 21 12.7%
  • Yoshi's Island

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • Ocarina of Time

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Super Metroid

Votes: 18 10.9%
  • A Link Between Worlds

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 29 17.6%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Metroid Prime

Votes: 15 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
nintendo only did the clothes and acessories,a comic artist designed the sportmates

hahahaha from their instagram it looks like they also did the terrible foamstars characters

technically the only, and therefore best, Nintendo-developed game is Jump Rope Challenge

this also makes it the worst Nintendo-developed game

This doesn't surprise me at all. As someone who nominated a portable game, Nintendo almost never gave their portable software much care compared to the console equivalents. Rarely did you get a situation like Link's Awakening that was clearly the next big entry rather than a side thing, more often it felt like their portable titles were handed off to smaller teams or outside developers.

The best Nintendo-developed DS games are probably like, Mario Kart, Tetris, and Rhythm Heaven. Not the usual suspects. You have to dig a little. Their portables were weird. Although just like a top ten SNES games list that has Panel de Pon, if someone listed these games I would think they had a more interesting perspective for sure.
Eh, Nintendo's (main) history is mostly driven by EAD games, whereas their handheld games were (mostly) designed by R&D1. Before the DS, EAD hardly developed any portable game, and the GB line was R&D1's domain.
technically the only, and therefore best, Nintendo-developed game is Jump Rope Challenge

this also makes it the worst Nintendo-developed game
The very first F-Zero as well. What a weird duology.

nintendo only did the clothes and acessories,a comic artist designed the sportmates

That work is still listed in the artwork section, and if you read the Developer Interview - it sounds like the team went through several in-game character designs before going back to Miis but with upgraded arms and legs (Kyohei Seki) - so that's where maybe Gurihiru was commissioned to further stylize it with their comic artwork- but it still had to transition back to 3D models - animated in-game models.

The very first F-Zero as well. What a weird duology.

EAD programmed game? But R&D1 (Game&Watch Series, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Wario Land, etc.), R&D2 (Clu Clu Land), R&D3 (Arcade) had previously 100% programmed some of their own games.

Shoutout to the other four people who voted for Yoshi’s Island. One day the Famiboards masses will come around.

The top 3 voted games in the poll are TotK, OoT, and BotW.

I guess this “Zelda” series may be pretty decent.

And that's a wrap!
Famiboard's choice for the best Nintendo game of all time is...

OJYhlT6.jpg

A very close second place (just two votes behind!) goes to...

fOiyns.gif

Third place goes to Breath of the Wild (you folks sure love Zelda!) fourth place to Super Mario Galaxy, and fifth to Super Metroid.

Thanks so much to all who participated! I hope this was a fun little exercise.
What are your thoughts on the results? Any game that over or under performed your expectations?
Let us know what you think. :)

Last edited:
Well, at least the worst 3D Zelda didn't come first.

Weird that it came second.

This isn't bait; I rank Ocarina of Time significantly below even Phantom Hourglass. It's just... So... Mediocre... And drab... And boring. So very boring. I won't deny its impact on gaming as a whole but that doesn't make it any more fun than crawling through mud. And it isn't. I genuinely prefer to crawl though mud, no exaggeration, no bait, just plain... Someone who doesn't enjoy Ocarina of Time.
I see no benefit in re-examining my dislike of Tears of the Kingdom, but while I have little doubt recency bias played a part, at least it kept something (I consider) worse off the number one spot. That definitely puts it up a notch in my mind.

Well it's not what I'd have picked (obviously), but at least Super Mid-rio Galaxy didn't win so I'm not gonna argue

Gotta say though, a little surprised by the relatively poor showing from the Metroid games

Very happy to see Super Metroid do so well, but absolutely shocked that Mario 64 didn't even make it past the nomination phase.

It's a little funny how the reactions as so far are sort of like "ugh, that game!" All in all the rankings make sense, though I'm also shocked SM64 didn't get a nomination. I always see it dominate discourse about the best game ever made, even beyond Nintendo.

The only version of Super Mario 64 I've played is the DS one. 3D movement on a D-pad was utterly diabolical, man.

Well it's not what I'd have picked (obviously), but at least Super Mid-rio Galaxy didn't win so I'm not gonna argue

Gotta say though, a little surprised by the relatively poor showing from the Metroid games
As far as I know Zelda > Mario > Metroid has always been how enthusiasts view the franchises, I specifically remember Nerrel showing the Gamerankings scores for best games of all time and that's roughly the order the franchises would be

The only version of Super Mario 64 I've played is the DS one. 3D movement on a D-pad was utterly diabolical, man.
Don't worry you aren't missing out on an analog stick either

...Well, that certainly is an outcome you could have just gotten from looking at Metacritic.

It's sort of interesting that Ocarina is still that popular I suppose? You don't often see folks beating the drum that it's the greatest game ever made anymore. Probably because they'd throw out their backs.

and yet we have two games from retro and one co-developed by intsys

should've let style savvy in imo

Retro is actually owned by Nintendo! Syn Sophia has been doing idol gacha games on phones as a side gig between fashion games. (And calling Fashion Dreamer will end up with a multiplatform release once the game is ""complete"")

Unsure about the status of Intsys, are they actually still independent?

Retro is actually owned by Nintendo! Syn Sophia has been doing idol gacha games on phones as a side gig between fashion games. (And calling Fashion Dreamer will end up with a multiplatform release once the game is ""complete"")

Unsure about the status of Intsys, are they actually still independent?
IntSys are still independent, though I'm not sure the last time (if ever) they did something on their own outside of Nintendo (compare to say Gamefreak or even HAL who occasionally do their own thing)

I definitely recognize that it's a niche opinion but I associate "Nintendo-developed" with games like Splatoon, Animal Crossing, 2D Mario, ARMS, and the assorted EPD 4 projects like Labo. Splatoon and Animal Crossing had art support from Monolith's Kyoto group and ARMS had art support from Bandai Namco, but these games are a lot closer to Nintendo than Breath of the Wild, which saw such impact from Monolith that it really should be considered a co-developed project.

3D Mario is interesting because EPD 8 is literally in another city from the rest of the company, but I could see the argument that it is directly descended from the company and harkens back to the split in internal development prior to the formation of EPD.

The days of smaller projects really made "Nintendo-developed" mean more. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, for example, had a really small team that, as far as I know, was formed entirely within the company. Nowadays most Nintendo-published games have too large of scopes for this to be viable. Even Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which relied less on external outsourcing than most projects, relied on the recent acquisition of Dynamo Pictures to contribute to the character animations.

Back
Top Bottom