• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Best graphics on Wii U?

It's Kirby & The Rainbow Curse and it's not even close.

Kirby-and-the-Rainbow-Curse.jpg

Kirby-and-the-Rainbow-Curse-screenshot-6.jpg

900x.jpg
ba00a440f41c420ddaf6038b47a0eac3.jpg

tumblr_nh8xlfRyfm1rpymsbo1_500.gifv

Still the best looking game I've ever seen. The stop-motion animation is to die for!

Last edited:
Couple categories here. Nintendo went hard with it's 2d games and using realistic shaders on its cartoon characters, like yoshi in a world of yarn and cardboard/construction paper craft, and claymation Kirby. With the restrictions set in place to always present the game world from the ideal distance and angle..... These games are artistically..... I'm not sure if the word to use really. Strong. Very very strong, the generated nature of the graphics do not fall apart because of the control over what the player sees.

Then there is the racing games mk8 and fast racing neo,

And the games where the player has complete control over what the camera sees and the engine has to render, botw, and XBX

And yeah, I also gotta concur with Xenoblade Chronicles X being an absolute powerhouse.
The scale, seamlessness, fidelity, detail, and rock solid framerate it squeezes out of the Wii U is nothing short of a technical miracle.
To this day it's still a spectacle to behold, and one of the most striking examples of a system punching above its weight.

Xenoblade X without a doubt. Even my brother-in-law, who was raised in the Holy Church of PlayStation and the Last State of Plays liked it’s graphics and open world design back in 2015-2016. And he was (and still is) a PS4 and open world enjoyer.
Yeah i remember after the Xenoblade X Direct i showed a PC-only colleague at work the newest trailer and he was impressed that this is a Nintendo game!

Xenoblade X is an all-time looker for me to this day.

Same with Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild!

Mario Kart 8 is unmatched. It's still the best looking game Nintendo have ever made imo especially the remaster of it on Switch which runs at 1080p.

Xenoblade X, far and away one of the most gorgeous games on any Nintendo system

07JwLQ6czkzRQQeKPr4oVMu-3.fit_lim.size_1200x630.v1569483356.jpg

Xenoblade-1-1.jpg
monolith-x-1_0.jpg

I don't even think it's close.
If this game was ported to Switch it would be the only Xenoblade game to hit 720p or close in handheld mode.

Trine 2 Director's Cut is one that's near the top for me but rarely gets its due credit I feel.
In addition to being artistically gorgeous, it's one of the first games to showcase Wii U's technical capabilities, with many upgrades over the PS3/360 version like superior resolution, textures, anti-aliasing, water effects, etc.

trine+2+directors+cut+wii+u+screen+5.jpg

1ecadbe49d8e400368e0367e11bc26e6b6b392131fcccb264c249ceb05175e94.jpg

trine+2+directors+cut+wii+u+screen+3.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom