• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Best graphics on Wii U?

curl-6

Chain Chomp
What do you think is the most graphically accomplished game on Nintendo's last gen console, and what about it earns it the title in your opinion?

1280x720.jpg

Maybe I am forgetting a game that looks better, but the first two that came to mind were Super Mario 3D World and Breath of the Wild.

Boring choices? Sure. But that's what I have at the moment. :p

Either Mario Kart or Pikmin 3. Latter sometimes betrays its Wii roots , but when it looks good it looks really, really good.

Honestly feels kind of arbitrary to say, looking through my list of Nintendo games on the console quite a many were nice lookers, even the "B-tier" stuff.

Xenoblade X, BotW, MK8, Wind Waker HD

Xenoblade X looks just as good as 2/DE (I prefer DE), but expectations were different regarding a 720p game in 2015. Its level of detail and world design really stand out among the Wii U titles.

Xenoblade X, far and away one of the most gorgeous games on any Nintendo system

07JwLQ6czkzRQQeKPr4oVMu-3.fit_lim.size_1200x630.v1569483356.jpg

Xenoblade-1-1.jpg
monolith-x-1_0.jpg

I don't even think it's close.

Just to go left field, for my personal taste Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is deliciously gorgeous. I do mean delicious. It looks like the world is made of frosted cookies.

Mario Kart 8 looks better than most games, period.

I saw the title of this thread on the front page and hurried in here wanting to comment with a slew of pictures of Xenoblade X but I see the fami had me covered. ❤️

Xenoblade X, Mario Kart 8, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Captain Toad. Captain Toad is incredibly clean.

Xenoblade X is an incredible technical achievement. Rendering resolution aside (which was the standard for Wii U anyway), it STILL looks aesthetically appealing today and the combination of its scope and how the art direction is integrated into its scope is still unrivaled today, even by Xenoblade sequels.

Most of the Switch's top sellers could run on Wii U fine.

Imagine if Nintendo had just continued to support Wii U to this day and not bothered with the Switch. Would it eventually reach 100 million units? :unsure:

Wind Waker HD remains to this day more or less the most beautiful game I’ve ever seen. The colors, lighting and shaders all come together to create something truly spectacular and a feast to look at.

Breath of the Wild probably in combination with Mario Kart.

Shout out to my boy Captain Toad tho. Really loved the look of all the stages. Looked like an even more enhanced 3D World back then.

Between Xenoblade X and Mario Kart 8; granted, both games that I'm not super into the artstyle;

Shot out to Pikmin 3's food and Fatal Frame V's overall presentation as well.

But in terms of an actual artstyle that pleases me, it's Tropical Freeze

It's not my personal favourite but I'm surprised no one has said Paper Mario Color Splash yet (unless I missed it).
Not sure what my favourite is tbh, mabye Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Wooly World or Tropical Freeze.

For me its pretty much anything nintendo first party. Tropical freeze, captain toad. 3d world, mk8, kirby and the rainbow curse, yoshis woolley world, color splash, wind waker hd…the wii u had a plethora of great looking games…and not so great looking games like starfox zero lol

Xenoblade X without a doubt. Even my brother-in-law, who was raised in the Holy Church of PlayStation and the Last State of Plays liked it’s graphics and open world design back in 2015-2016. And he was (and still is) a PS4 and open world enjoyer.

Imagine if Nintendo had just continued to support Wii U to this day and not bothered with the Switch. Would it eventually reach 100 million units? :unsure:
Not in a million years.

If your benchmark is what is going on under the hood, it has to be Breath of the Wild. No contest. Just an outstanding technical achievement.
Going by looks, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is not only the most beautiful Wii U game for my personal taste, it is one of the best looking games of all time. A playable claymation cartoon, coherent and perfect in every way, with a tasty art style to die for. No joke, you are getting hungry just rolling though these lush environments. And to be fair, yes, the screen of the GamePad takes away some of the pristine quality that only viewers on the TV can enjoy.

My nomination would have to go to FAST Racing Neo.

It pulls off a bunch of techniques standard for PS4/Xbox One games like Physically Based Rendering and high quality soft shadows and motion blur while running at sexy 60fps. Really love the blend of slick futuristic technology with grittier touches like dust hitting the lens or grainy rock as well.

Art of Balance and Nano Assault Neo, also by Shin'en, look fantastic as well:

900x.jpg

NanoAssaultInline.jpg

I second first party picks like Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, and Yoshi's Woolly World as well, lovely looking games.

Back
Top Bottom