• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Best decade of Nintendo

I think the best is...

• 80s

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • 90s

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • 2000s

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • 2010s

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • 2020s (So far)

Votes: 28 23.5%

• Total voters
I was born in the early 90s and I am from Europe so many games got released a bit later here. That is why I picked 2000s because I still played Game Boy and N64 games in the early 2000s additionally to GBA, Game Cube, DS and Wii games later in that decade

I expect the 2020s to be phenomenal but how are so many people voting for them? Like I get that you're Nintendo fans but how are 3 years, partly during COVID and with all the shady stuff (Joy Con Drift, 3DAS, sports games, technical quality of Pokemon releases), better than any other decade?

The late 2000's period of Nintendo I mainly grew up with is probably my least favorite now outside of late Wii U/3DS hell.

I'm going 90's with all the boomers, that was their golden age as a developer and a publisher. Well, technically it's more like Super Mario Bros. through Melee, but that's mostly in the 90's.

All jokes aside, I don't think I can put any decade over the 90s just based on the sheer breadth and depth of games and genres they put out during that time. It covers such a substantial part of their legacy across SNES, N64, GB and GBC when they were putting out revolutionary stuff on the regular. I don't think that this has much to do with nostalgia, more with the fact that this is where they were at the same time refining 2D games and at the forefront of 3D games, both to great effect. It's just not something you can replicate.

The 2000s and 2010s are about even for me. Both are quite strong but not as consistent as the 90s. I'd probably put the 2000s slightly ahead because they had the strong tail end of the N64, a few good years of the GC and Wii plus the GBA and a large part of the DS lifetime. The 2010 are dragged down by some weak Wii U and 3DS years and the twilight years of the Wii but it was still a strong decade.

The inclusion of the 2020s in this poll feels premature. The last 4 years I'd easily put above some equivalent years but there's a lot that can happen, as we've seen time and time again with Nintendo lol

I expect the 2020s to be phenomenal but how are so many people voting for them? Like I get that you're Nintendo fans but how are 3 years, partly during COVID and with all the shady stuff (Joy Con Drift, 3DAS, sports games, technical quality of Pokemon releases), better than any other decade?

In a way things are better than ever with the Switch. Great new games, great rereleases. It was a tough choice between the 2000s and now.

I wont let my nostalgia speak this time around and strictly look at the games. So while I have a huge love interest for the 85-95 era which was what made me become a fan from the very start... I think the games during the 10's is quite a bit better than the 90s or 80s - for me.

I don't mean to say this to be rude to the userbase of the site since I don't see this reflected in the actual posts to the same degree, but every single poll I've seen ran on here has a clear bias towards the "Switch era" vs every other poll for Nintendo related things I've seen on other sites. Which probably makes sense, Switch games probably have the highest playrate since this site focuses mostly on modern releases and it's common for people to be lapsed fans and to have skipped some specific era of Nintendo.

I don't mean to say this to be rude to the userbase of the site since I don't see this reflected in the actual posts to the same degree, but every single poll I've seen ran on here has a clear bias towards the "Switch era" vs every other poll for Nintendo related things I've seen on other sites. Which probably makes sense, Switch games probably have the highest playrate since this site focuses mostly on modern releases and it's common for people to be lapsed fans and to have skipped some specific era of Nintendo.
I get what you're saying and agree especially regarding specific games, but to be fair from the poll the Switch era is 3rd at best, and the first few years of the Switch are actually 4th. The totality of the 90's / 2000's is winning.

Personally, 2010s, picked it for being a staunch Wii U stan.

Galaxy 2 and SS + The entire Wii U and 3DS libraries + the first 3 years of the Switch (granted, 2018 was a bit dire, but 2017 and 2019 absolutely slayed) are all things I hold dear.

Objectively, though, it's the 2000s. The Gamecube delivered stone-cold classics and got followed up with 2 parallell video game phenomena in Wii and DS.

Yeah I can understand the Switch era ranking highly for people but it being pretty evenly split down the middle between the 2010s and 2020s makes it hard to reason it can carry a specific decade just by itself. 2010s is always gonna have to reckon with some dire Wii U + 3DS years like 2012 and 2016, while the 2020s isn't yet written if Nintendo somehow messes up the Switch successor.

I get what you're saying and agree especially regarding specific games, but to be fair from the poll the Switch era is 3rd at best, and the first few years of the Switch are actually 4th. The totality of the 90's / 2000's is winning.

I think elsewhere 2020s would be lowest on account of it not having finished yet. This specific poll is actually probably the weakest example of it though (a better example might be DKCTF winning the 2D platformer poll, not to say anything negative about DKCTF since it's a great game but there's no other site or platform where I think I've seen it win like that).

The real answer is probably the 80s, bc they were basically the only game in town for the non-PC market. I'm going with the 90s bc they had major home console success in the NES/SNES alongside incredible success of the GameBoy. The biggest downside was the collapse of the home console dominance with the N64, which still features groundbreaking games in 3D environments. In each other decade, there were huge hardware flops where the most impressive games lacked the cultural/gaming impact of the 90s games.

The 2000s are the next closest shout with the highs of the GBA, DS, and Wii, but there's less balance both over time and across platforms from the 90s. If he Succ is able to carry the torch of the Switch and the movie/theme park endeavors continue to impress, the 2020s will easily take the crown

Message boards are always going to skew one way or another. I mean, there's actually people posting here who like the GameCube.
Welcome to the block list
I think elsewhere 2020s would be lowest on account of it not having finished yet. This specific poll is actually probably the weakest example of it though (a better example might be DKCTF winning the 2D platformer poll, not to say anything negative about DKCTF since it's a great game but there's no other site or platform where I think I've seen it win like that).
Yeah I definitely agree, there's definitely a trend of the newest game in a series just blowing out the older ones. Though TF is quite old at this point but still.

I do think you'd find the 2020's beating the 80's on a lot of major forums, though. People mostly just go back to the Mario Trilogy from that decade, whereas Forgotten Land, 3, Dread and TOTK are pretty beloved.

giphy.gif

It's gonna be the 20's. Theme parks are gonna blow up more. Peak of the switch. Whatever the successor is. Mario movie. Probably Nintendo Cinematic Universe.

I do think you'd find the 2020's beating the 80's on a lot of major forums, though. People mostly just go back to the Mario Trilogy from that decade, whereas Forgotten Land, 3, Dread and TOTK are pretty beloved.
Yeah, even incomplete, the 2020s trounces the 1980s. I never had the NES growing up so I was super excited for the NES Classic Edition when it was announced despite looking at the list and thinking I already had a version of all the games I cared about. Finally playing the games didn’t change my mind, and I was 100% taken in by the NES shaped housing.

It's gonna be the 20's. Theme parks are gonna blow up more. Peak of the switch. Whatever the successor is. Mario movie. Probably Nintendo Cinematic Universe.
I certainly hope not. Not everything needs to be a cinematic universe. I have no desire to keep track of a bunch of these especially since no one besides Marvel seems capable of doing it correctly.

And I’m particularly ambivalent about a Nintendo movie crossover when we haven’t had a real one in the games. “They’re trophies so it’s okay for them to fight!” is the biggest creative [lose horn].

Quoted by: Ab

Yeah I definitely agree, there's definitely a trend of the newest game in a series just blowing out the older ones. Though TF is quite old at this point but still.

I'm gonna be honest, I was mostly thinking of 2010s, I forgot the 80s was an option LOL. Though I do think 80s vs. 20s would be closer (especially if people decide to count Mario 3 as 80s since it came out in Japan during that decade)

90s was gaming nirvana (especially from Nintendo - Game Boy, GBC & N64). I feel so lucky to have lived through that.

My favourite Nintendo Handheld and favourite Nintendo Console... and favourite Nintendo Hybrid! They were all active in the same decade, the 2010s!

DS Lite, the last GBA compatible hardware manufactured. Wii U, the final Wii, the final Nintendo Home Console. Nintendo Switch, the new beginning. The 2010s were a MAGICAL time to be a Nintendo fan.

But wow, from almost every objective metric, right here right now is better than any other time I can think of.

90s decade, masterpiece after masterpiece(Super Mario World/64, Super Metroid, Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time/Majora Mask, most of Rare catalogue)

i don't know. not like i would give up the other decades for only one. they all are varied with all kinds of stuff.

90s decade, masterpiece after masterpiece(Super Mario World/64, Super Metroid, Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time/Majora Mask, most of Rare catalogue)
MM was 2000 🤓

I certainly hope not. Not everything needs to be a cinematic universe. I have no desire to keep track of a bunch of these especially since no one besides Marvel seems capable of doing it correctly.

And I’m particularly ambivalent about a Nintendo movie crossover when we haven’t had a real one in the games. “They’re trophies so it’s okay for them to fight!” is the biggest creative [lose horn].
Lol, I wasn't really trying to say they would all cross over and actually be a universe.i guess I just meant nintendo IPs will all get some sort of movie or show in the future

2000s when Nintendo somewhat reinvented themselves after the Gamecube with the Wii. Also had the start of Iwata Asks, Reggie, Nintendo Directs, Excitebots, Wii Shop Channel and its music, Mii characters bowling, subsequently broken televisions, other Wii remote injuries, Excitetruck, blue lights from the disc drive, the funniest console wars era, Sega games on Nintendo consoles. Such a fun time.

From a purely objective standpoint, yeah it's the 90s. Multiple genre-defining titles that have influenced countless games. Isn't really a competition.

In terms of my personal tastes though, regardless of the Wii U being a complete disaster, it's the 2010s. I tend to prefer modern Nintendo, and the remasters/remakes help fill the retro void a bit. Not to mention so much being available via virtual console anyway, although that doesn't count towards much.

Back
Top Bottom