• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Benedict Campbell, other Donkey Kong Country cartoon voice actors return to voice their characters in DKC: Return to Krocodile Isle animated short

Professor Chops

Tektite
Pronouns
They/them

This is one of the best fan projects I've ever seen. The amount of effort that went into this is simply astounding. They even managed to track down the original voices of King K. Rool, Klump, Kaptain Skurvy, and Donkey Kong and get them to reprise their roles. Even though Nintendo/Illumination will undoubtedly opt for celebrity casting in the inevitable Donkey Kong Country movie, I can't imagine anybody other than Campbell voicing K. Rool. His voice hasn't aged a day.

Haven't we learned how Nintendo operates? They're gonna crush this like a fine wine grape. They just don't allow their IP to be used any other unauthorized means, that's it.

That's kinda ironic when you think about it. No other fandom is this passionate about fan projects other than Nintendo's. Sonic, PS, Disney, Star Wars, Jump none of them are even comparable. And no other IP holder company is this strict about their IP use. They value their properties so much and dead serious about their unauthorized use.

Haven't we learned how Nintendo operates? They're gonna crush this like a fine wine grape. They just don't allow their IP to be used any other unauthorized means, that's it.

That's kinda ironic when you think about it. No other fandom is this passionate about fan projects other than Nintendo's. Sonic, PS, Disney, Star Wars, Jump none of them are even comparable. And no other IP holder company is this strict about their IP use. They value their properties so much and dead serious about their unauthorized use.
I mean isn't the first one still up? They also liked some SFM Zelda animation years ago (tho "They" as in SFM)

I suppose the difference is now they're in the movie bizz so maybe it does change, but historically they haven't minded fan animations I mean fucking racist mario has been up for like almost a decade now

I mean isn't the first one still up? They also liked some SFM Zelda animation years ago (tho "They" as in SFM)

I suppose the difference is now they're in the movie bizz so maybe it does change, but historically they haven't minded fan animations I mean fucking racist mario has been up for like almost a decade now
They've been pretty random in the past, some got axed some survived. But recently they've been extra strict, going after way too many stuff. Hopefully this one survives.

They've been pretty random in the past, some got axed some survived. But recently they've been extra strict, going after way too many stuff. Hopefully this one survives.
They primarily seem worried about Zelda/using it as an excuse to do more if you wanna be cynical about it which tbh I have to at least consider cause there's no way they genuinely think Zelda is gonna do poorly cause of like some mod videos, but hopefully it sticks to Zelda?

Then again they've been taking down like every mario movie clip on twitter even trailer scenes so idk

What exactly is the case here for Nintendo to “crush” this?

What exactly is the case here for Nintendo to “crush” this?
It's their IP and don't want anyone to use them? They just recently deleted hundreds of soundtracks on YouTube for same reason and this is way beyond than just simple music upload to YouTube.

It's their IP and don't want anyone to use them? They just recently deleted hundreds of soundtracks on YouTube for same reason and this is way beyond than just simple music upload to YouTube.
There’s a huge difference between uploading full music tracks as-is that Nintendo owns and creating a totally original animation based on Nintendo IP like this. There is absolutely no reason why Nintendo would go after this video. If the content of the animation was something that Nintendo was against (like, say, K. Rool explaining how to pirate Switch games via song, lol), or if the creators were trying to make (a significant amount of) money off of it, or if they felt it otherwise threatened their business in some way (like potentially competing with a release of theirs) then sure, that’d be a case where Nintendo may certainly come in and shut it down, but they don’t just go around bullying fans into taking down any creations that transformatively utilize their IP.

There’s a huge difference between uploading full music tracks as-is that Nintendo owns and creating a totally original animation based on Nintendo IP like this. There is absolutely no reason why Nintendo would go after this video. If the content of the animation was something that Nintendo was against (like, say, K. Rool explaining how to pirate Switch games via song, lol), or if the creators were trying to make (a significant amount of) money off of it, or if they felt it otherwise threatened their business in some way (like potentially competing with a release of theirs) then sure, that’d be a case where Nintendo may certainly come in and shut it down, but they don’t just go around bullying fans into taking down any creations that transformatively utilize their IP.
Hopefully it is so, but as i said, they've been very aggressive recently, gifting cease & desist left and right. But, yes, you're right, despite the aggressiveness, they're still selective.

Quoted by: Tye
This is fanwork. Completely different from uploading copyright material. There's thousands of fan animations of Nintendo properties on Nintendo and none of them have been touched. Jumping straight to "they're gonna crush this" is completely baseless.

Anyway, this was fantastic. Really shocked they got Campbell back. Animation and music together, super impressive.

if that's the case why havent they taken down that awful "racist mario" video that has millions of views? I don't remember the last fan animation that was taken down

Last edited:
Hopefully it is so, but as i said, they've been very aggressive recently, gifting cease & desist left and right. But, yes, you're right, despite the aggressiveness, they're still selective.
Have they gone after anything that doesn’t fall into one of the categories I listed in my previous post, though? ‘Cause that’s the point; they don’t just go after anything, and stuff like this should be perfectly safe. They’ve only been “aggressive” towards the kind of things that they’ve always gone after, so there’s nothing really new with that.

Yeah I'd think and hope that this is fine as it's not using any copyrighted material other than just the IP for an entirely original work of animation. It's not like you're making a fan game to rob sales off of the real deal, there's no risk of competition as it were with this. The only thing Nintendo would object is if this this was a reanimation of an existing episode which just wholesale uses the ripped audio of said episode.

Anyway, HOLY FUCK this is amazing, so cool that they got some of the core voice cast back! And that they paid tribute to both Len Carlson (Krusha) and Aron Tager (Cranky) plus Erika Strobel who was a writer that I never knew about and she committed suicide in 2017, holy fuck. :'( RIP to all of three. :(

The only thing Nintendo would object is if this this was a reanimation of an existing episode which just wholesale uses the ripped audio of said episode.
Even then I don’t think there’s any reason to believe that Nintendo would try to take something like that down. I don’t believe they’ve done that with any “reanimated” video that uses Nintendo IP before, and there have been plenty of them.

Even then I don’t think there’s any reason to believe that Nintendo would try to take something like that down. I don’t believe they’ve done that with any “reanimated” video that uses Nintendo IP before, and there have been plenty of them.
Pretty sure they or Warpstar did try taking down the Kirby one before IIRC.

Pretty sure they or Warpstar did try taking down the Kirby one before IIRC.
Oh, really? I hadn’t heard that. Figured it would’ve become a big deal if something like that had happened, but I don’t recall seeing anything about it myself.

This feels like Benedict Campbell's defining performance as K. Rool. Not only does it sound like he hasn't aged a day, they never gave him five minutes to just go wild like this before. And the material has gone from charmingly cheesy to something like you'd get out of a proper Disney villain song. I was particularly shocked by how he seemed to effortlessly work the deranged side of the character into his portrayal when that was never really present in the show.

This feels like Benedict Campbell's defining performance as K. Rool. Not only does it sound like he hasn't aged a day, they never gave him five minutes to just go wild like this before. And the material has gone from charmingly cheesy to something like you'd get out of a proper Disney villain song. I was particularly shocked by how he seemed to effortlessly work the deranged side of the character into his portrayal when that was never really present in the show.

To me, it just comes off as a "natural evolution" of sorts from the version of the character he played. For example, the show always allowed K. Rool to be self-absorbed and convinced of his own importance, among other things. Enough L's taken and being out of the game for as long as he was? Yeah, I could see him going crazy for DK's attention and affection.

Last edited:

There's no chance of this happening. Not only was this was produced in cooperation with the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA) union, but the team was very careful in making sure they didn't enter any legal grey areas. Although Nintendo is fairly strict when it comes to cracking down on fan games and the illegal distribution of their software, I can't think of a single instance of them sending a DMCA notice to fan artists or animators. Crap like "Racist Mario" is still on YouTube and has millions of views.

The only thing is I wonder if animations could be iffier in a post movie world, but I still think this is fine.

But I've been preaching for the DKC show cast even before this (yes even Diddy), obviously Sterling Jarvis won't be DK and even Campbell as K.Rool seems unlikely (I'm betting Jermain Clements) but I hope they're are at least some cameos, and show references in general, wouldn't even mind it being a musical as a nod but I'm sure some would

This was some lovely animation. I'm not sure how much positivity I look back on the DKC cartoon with these days, but Campbell's K. Rool was absolutely one of the highlights, and I'm happy to hear him in the role again.

Oh man I used to work with the guy who animated this! He was a good dude. Extremely talented.

Eggs are incredibly versatile and nutritious. They are packed with high-quality protein, essential vitamins like vitamin A, D, E, and B vitamins, and minerals such as iron and selenium. The egg white is rich in protein, while the yolk contains healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Eggs can be prepared in countless ways, from boiling and frying to scrambling and baking. They are a cornerstone of breakfast dishes worldwide, but their culinary uses extend far beyond the morning meal. Eggs are used in baking to add moisture, richness, and structure to recipes, and they today egg rates are a key ingredient in dishes ranging from quiches and frittatas to custards and cakes.
Pretty sure we have a bot here

What a bot, but thanks to this necrobump, everyone gets to rewatch this wonderful little gem!

lmao I just realized 'Benedict' is the keyword that triggered this particular bot

What a bot, but thanks to this necrobump, everyone gets to rewatch this wonderful little gem!

lmao I just realized 'Benedict' is the keyword that triggered this particular bot
Benedict, British, Donkey Kong... hm, is this a Rare bot ? ^^

Why Benedict?
Eggs Benedict lol

images

Back
Top Bottom