• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News beloved 2d famicom platformer "gimmick!" is finally getting re-released on July 6th

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
lost3.gif

...and it was inexplicably buried in the numerous press releases embracer group made about their recent acquistions.
Freemode also acquired Bitwave Games, a Swedish studio with passion for retro games. With the backing of Freemode, Bitwave can expand the internal development team and build a publishing team. Bitwave will bring the highly regarded shoot ’em up games from Toaplan to PC and publish the NES/Famicom classic platformer Gimmick! on console and modern consoles in the west.
i'm assuming it was supposed to be revealed at the sunsoft event announced a few days ago, but wow.

this game has had the most utterly bizarre release history. while it was mainly japan-only, there was an extremely limited release of it in scandinavia of all places.
then it got a remake, which would be reasonable on it's own. but it was exclusive to arcades....

in 2020.

somehow the most normal re-release it had was on playstation 1 in 2002, but even that is somewhat unusual for bundling the game with super spy hunter of all things.

anyways, it'll be interesting to see which version they'll go with. is it an emulated build of the original famicom game, a normal port of the remake, or a collection containing both?

As OP mentions this game got a limited release in the Nordic countries, and we had it growing up. It was very difficult and I never beat it, but it was one of my favourite games. As a kid I thought that Gimmick was around the same level of popularity as Kirby, it never occurred to me that I was playing something no one else was.

Saw a loose copy selling for €700 a few years back, it must be even more now. I remember our dad stepping on our cartridge and it cracking into pieces.

Anyway, looking forward to playing this after 20+ years.

I remember a friend of mine was doing a Let's Play of this like 11 years ago. Fascinating game.

more official announcement.
62fccc991a21e7b745fe16be_Gimmick01.jpg

62fccc99a96f228dbc2d50d4_Gimmick014.jpg

"Are you as excited as we are? Well, you can get a taste of what's in store at this year's Gamescom where the game will be playable on the show flow. Gamescom is kicking off on August 24-26, and Gimmick! Special Edition will be available in Retro Gaming area F068 at the Dragon Box booth. For more on Gimmick! Special Edition, tune into the virtual showcase that will go live on Sunsoft’s YouTube channel at 1:00 PM PDT / 9 PM BST later today."

Last edited:
Super excited about this re-release.
This is one amazing game, the soundtrack is sublime - Was released as Mr Gimmick! here in the nordics and sold a grand total of 5044 copies (I've had 2 HEHEH)

This has major Mega Man vibes with the jump sprite and the level designs shown in the trailer. Definitely keeping an eye on it.

I’ll finally get to play this! Sweet!!

EDIT: I really, really need wonder if Batman and TripWorld will get a rerelease at the Sunsoft event too.

Honestly one of the best games ever made, seeing widely available for the first time is like a dream

Thread convergence:

“What kinda gimmicky launch title do you think we are going to get with the next nintendo console?”

“Beloved 2d famicom platformer ‘gimmick!’ is finally getting re-released”

Coincidence??

official release date is here (July 6 for everything except Xbox)

Folks, mark your calendars. Today we're thrilled to announce that Gimmick! Special Edition hits Steam, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 4 on July 6th. Xbox players are welcome to join the party at a later date.

Gimmick! holds a special place in our hearts. It's an incredible physics-based game with astonishing graphics, which pushed the NES to its absolute limits. First launched in 1992 by SUNSOFT, Gimmick! only initially launched in Japan and Scandinavia and remains a highly sought-after title for retro gaming enthusiasts.

not sure what the deal with the Xbox version is, but i can't imagine it's that big of a delay.

Back
Top Bottom