• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Before the mostly unleaked Direct today, a Nintendo employee posted a GIF indicating they stopped leaks. UPDATE: Employee responded.

And here’s Pyoro’s emoji leak of Super Mario Bros. Wonder:

SMBW_box_NA.png

Again, it’s exclusively things that are visible on the box art, including some things that aren’t exactly very descriptive of the game itself or even the trailer, like the caterpillar emoji representing the moving pipe; like, yeah, that’s one of the Wonder Effects, but to use that emoji to describe the game itself as if it’s a core element of the game? That strikes me as someone making assumptions based off of only seeing the box art.

I would attribute the caterpillar emoji to the caterpillar on Luigi's back :)

I would attribute the caterpillar emoji to the caterpillar on Luigi's back :)
Oh, duh, of course, lol. Actually, that helps prove my case even more, though, because Prince Florian is only seen in the game’s reveal trailer for a split second, whereas on the box art he’s very prominent.

Thanks @Derachi for making a thread we can now reference every time someone asks if Nintendo employees are aware of Famiboards

Yeah, idk what’s going on with Pyoro. He’s coming across as quite arrogant/defensive, and his “leaks” this last time were simply off the mark. He missed the original 2D Zelda, and a recent tweet of his confirms the emoji hint was not about Brothership. It’s too soon to say for sure that his sources have been plugged, but this shows signs that his leaking game is starting to fall apart.

Jeez, I understand some people don’t like the leaks. Some of us enjoyed them they were a bit of fun before a direct with the riddles etc, he didn’t always leak everything and things like door for paper Mario were so obscure no one understood it till after the direct.

If he has lost his sources oh well it was fun whilst it lasted there’s no reason to give him so much grief.

His sources could very well go beyond the eShop backend if he leaked a game that was in the Japanese Direct. Could be that his source is Japanese
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

"starved for info" - seriously? Dramatic much?
leakers deserve the middle finger anyway, I hate getting reveals wasted.
Speculation is fun, and it’s part of the fun of watching Nintendo Direct. But leaks, I don’t understand how it’s fun. It just spoils the fun for everyone. So, to speak of bad taste in the mouth seems to me rather incomprehensible, personally.

I think what they saying above is his mainsource got packed up, Nintendo stopped pre-uploading so much direct news on eshop, that would easily stop the leaks.

If i were to guess (with no real knowledge of the process with E-Shop and News tab uploading process lol), Nintendo is not stupid and many on the teams orienting has been connected the dots, but they waited for a direct with so many suprises. They may still get Pyoro the drop on information like NES World Championships, as Pyoro's tweets are pretty damn good advertisement, and this is why they let Pyoro take the weak September 2023 direct too, but for stronger news they'll delay the E-shop pages
I don't think nintendo likes what pyoro is doing tho. they have definitely sussed out where he's getting stuff from and have either hosed his main source or are in the process of doing so. randos like that poster in the purple site or papagenos are way harder to find out where they are getting their information from. i doubt that nintendo is leaving them alone to create hype but because their sources are way better hidden.

Andrew Pfister, a senior analyst at Nintendo, posted this before the Direct today.

I can’t help but believe this indicates they’ve fixed their leak problem. What do you all think?

EDIT: Andrew Pfister has responded to this thread:

What's the bigger flex? Making a thread that caught @dril's attention, or a thread that is directly referenced by a Nintendo employee on an enthusiast forum? 😂

His sources could very well go beyond the eShop backend if he leaked a game that was in the Japanese Direct. Could be that his source is Japanese
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
I'd like to introduce you to today's sponsor, NordVPN

While the Metroid Prime 4 unveiling was cool and all, the Marvel vs Capcom 2/Marvel vs Capcom Fighting Collection reveal I think was what made people lose their collective fecal matter. Also a Zelda where Zelda is the main character. And starting with Mario & Luigi.

In short, well done Mr. Pfister!

Hey Andrew

Tell NCL to make a deal with Konami to make a new Goemon game.

It will make the little aussie kid in me very happy,

Andrew Pfister, a senior analyst at Nintendo, posted this before the Direct today.

I can’t help but believe this indicates they’ve fixed their leak problem. What do you all think?

EDIT: Andrew Pfister has responded to this thread:

is good Nintendo solved the leak problem, imagine that you(Nintendo) is about to launch your next console and someone leak it launch game(problaby the next 3D Mario), that would be devastating.

I think that in and of itself is a leak. A Nintendo employee making meta comments through meme gifs to give a finger to either fans starved for info and/or leakers in general leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I expect something alike but from a developers perspective when things DO leak. There's no worse taste than the entire Internet's smug face shitting all over a surprise that wasn't supposed to get out yet.

I have to say I like this scenario better, let them celebrate that they managed to surprise people, there's 0 harm in that.

If it's your job to create marketing "surprises," then I think it's ok to celebrate stopping leaks in a low key way like this.

There are always going to be leaks. Always. Too many people make games to be able to prevent somebody from talking, AND oftentimes outside companies get involved.
I don't think any AAA game gets released without contractors being involved at some stage, QA at the very least.
The only problem now is that I would love to see the new game on the eshop and get them with a voucher but I still can’t.
Thank you Pyoro.
That may be a good thing because the release dates of some of these games are a while out. And vouchers are only good for 1 year if the game releases within that year, not including preorders. So if you were to use a voucher on Echoes of Wisdom and Metroid Prime 4, the voucher might expire before Prime 4 releases.
100% agree. Dumping pastebins on Reddit at 3PM is just straight up harmful.
I'm not a fan of releasing the Direct's info the day before, because what's the point? We've been waiting long enough already.

What makes me cackle is that Nintendo protected only their first party games ☠️

I don't think it works like that, how would Nintendo be able to protect an entirely different company without compromising its integrity? Employees should be kept on a tight leash and everything, no studio would allow that.

I don't think it works like that, how would Nintendo be able to protect an entirely different company without compromising its integrity? Employees should be kept on a tight leash and everything, no studio would allow that.
I'm talking about not putting up their games on the eShop because that's how Pyoro was getting his leaks. Meanwhile all third party games were there.

I'm talking about not putting up their games on the eShop because that's how Pyoro was getting his leaks. Meanwhile all third party games were there.

Ultimately, Nintendo can't really tell thirds how to work with / use the eShop (thankfully).

Maybe they advised them to change their upload patterns due to a possible info leak resulting from early uploads, but in the end the third would have to decide to do so for themselves.

What makes me cackle is that Nintendo protected only their first party games ☠️
it coulda been part of the test. If they realized Pyoro probably had eShop backend access so they only put a couple low-stakes games on the eShop ahead of time, and those end up being the only ones that get leaked? That's more damning I think than if he had leaked nothing.

I think that in and of itself is a leak. A Nintendo employee making meta comments through meme gifs to give a finger to either fans starved for info and/or leakers in general leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Being happy a 40 minute ad didn't get leaked early by others for clout leaves a bad taste in your mouth?

That's super entitled

Listening to Kit and Krysta a lot of work goes into directs and people inside Nintendo do get bummed when a surprise is ruined

Being happy a 40 minute ad didn't get leaked early by others for clout leaves a bad taste in your mouth?

That's super entitled

Listening to Kit and Krysta a lot of work goes into directs and people inside Nintendo do get bummed when a surprise is ruined

I wish y’all would stop quoting me and not really understanding my original message.

I’m disgusted with the employee’s tweet. Not the fact that leakers have been stamped out. I’m ok with that.

I completely disagree, lol. "starved for info" fans can wait... a few days (which was normally the timeframe for Pyoro stuff) for the big event where that exact info is officially unveiled. It must be incredibly stressful and frustrating for these teams to not have their games revealed on their own terms, and anything to make that more likely to happen is a plus in my book.

EDIT: Also randos happening to sort of maybe know a couple things, or the codename leak, not really the same thing as stuff like Pyoro saying exactly what will and won't be there. There was a lot less certainty surrounding stuff like the PapaGenos thing, probably because it wasn't coming directly from the eShop/Nintendo website backend.
Leakers give the devs a massive finger when they leak info that isn't theirs to share, though. I think there's a solid argument to be made in favor of creatives being afforded the ability to reveal aspects of their projects gradually, on their own terms.

Agreed but I don’t need employees doing “haha” tweets under the guise of a meme either.

"starved for info" - seriously? Dramatic much?
leakers deserve the middle finger anyway, I hate getting reveals wasted.

“Leakers deserve the middle finger” and I’m dramatic.

it's not that serious lol

Probably but not professional from the employee.

I expect something alike but from a developers perspective when things DO leak. There's no worse taste than the entire Internet's smug face shitting all over a surprise that wasn't supposed to get out yet.

I have to say I like this scenario better, let them celebrate that they managed to surprise people, there's 0 harm in that.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. The employee should’nt have made the tweet.

I’m disgusted with the employee’s tweet. Not the fact that leakers have been stamped out. I’m ok with that.
It was a few minutes before showtime and he was happy his company made it to the finish line for the first time in a couple years(?) without a big game getting leaked.

It’s a pretty harmless and lighthearted tweet to be disgusted about.

Agreed but I don’t need employees doing “haha” tweets under the guise of a meme either.

“Leakers deserve the middle finger” and I’m dramatic.

Probably but not professional from the employee.

He's literally just expressing that he was he was glad the direct wasn't leaked. This is the most tame tweet to be upset about.
And i'm not a cop or in HR so i'm not concerned about how professional a Nintendo employee's tweets are

lmaooooooooooooooooooo

I wished for Pyoro and that cringe Midori leaker to stop leaking before Switch 2 gets revealed and just like that they were both taken out within a week

Who was that guy who said to me that Pyoro and Midori will leak Switch 2 games? Lol

It's a personal Twitter handle, is it neccesarry to be professional? I don't see how this would be damaging to Nintendo in any way buuuut in that case let's talk about the tweets from the owner of "X" not very professional either but it doesn't really seem to matter much. It's a strawman but you get the gist.

I wish y’all would stop quoting me and not really understanding my original message.

I understood your original message. They are just expressing happiness that the direct that they likely worked hard on with the rest of the team there didn't leak. It's the most benign thing to be upset about. He wasn't taunting a leaker or anything. Just expressing happiness.

I feel like there's more to your being upset by the lack of leaks than watching out for "starved" Nintendo fans

And even if said fans were starved , they can wait a few days.

I'm curious how Pokémon snuffed out their leakers. Because those appeared to have been coming from other regions like China, which I assume are more difficult to pinpoint.

Zero people had Z-A on the cards.

For those who follows the June 2024 Nintendo Direct leaks, what games were complete surprises, as in they weren't leaked beforehand? Would be interesting to know what were revealed as they were intended. I didn't follow them this time because I find it better for the announcements to be unexpected.

Thank you for reading.

For those who follows the June 2024 Nintendo Direct leaks, what games were complete surprises, as in they weren't leaked beforehand? Would be interesting to know what were revealed as they were intended. I didn't follow them this time because I find it better for the announcements to be unexpected.

Thank you for reading.
Most of them

Is Andrew Pfister the same guy that worked at 1up.com/EGM all those years ago? I had no idea that we went to go work for Nintendo.

I like leaks, but Pyoro and Bilbil-kun leaking stuff 6-15 days ahead of time with database scraping adds really nothing of value.

Same with YouTube leakers who leak 6-48 hours before an event.

If you can leak like 1-2 years early or about information the company would have never revealed, that's cool and interesting, but the back-end scraping leaks and YouTube leaks sucked.

Back
Top Bottom