• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Bayonetta 3 | Review Thread

Don't know if it technically counts but Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury got a 90.

And Persona 5 Royal is like at 95 on Switch iirc. If people used the graphics bias everywhere, one could expect it wouldn't be 90+ on this version.

But I think it depends a lot.

Breath of the Wild is 30FPS and can drop that, but still got a 97. The Last of Us and GTA V on PS3 had some pretty hard frame drops, GTA V wasn't the best looking game of the generation and both still got high scores.

I find a bit baffling that Dread didn't get a 90+ tho as the game is superb both graphically, aesthetically and is very stable 60FPS and 900p.

It's a reminder of how hard the 90+ has got now. Horizon Zero Dawn got there but dropped. Forbidden West didn't get past 90. Hell, TLOU remake didn't break the curse and that one was like the surest thing ever to happen as it broke 95 on PS3 and PS4.

I think the games that are the safest bets of going 90+ are God of War Ragnarok and Tears of the Kingdom now. Prestige of GoW and Zelda is still a factor, and both seem to go pretty hard on ambition and graphics.
btw dread did get a 90 but it was pushed down by two reviews, one of which by a person with a smash bros kirby with a bayonetta 2 hair. And then i think like a month later to 88.

btw dread did get a 90 but it was pushed down by two reviews, one of which by a person with a smash bros kirby with a bayonetta 2 hair. And then i think like a month later to 88.
...It's just an aggregate score. Singling people out over that is real shitty.

February.

There might be a smaller game in December but the October games plus Pokémon in November will be carrying the holidays.

Full Direct? Jan/Feb/Mar 2023.

You might get an Indie Showcase, and maybe some little thing at TGAs, and maaaaayyyybeee some Twitter announcements, but in terms of Directs and "big" announcements, Nintendo is done for 2022.

At this point, the only thing I'd anticipate as a potential holiday release beyond what we already know is Advance Wars and maybe Everybody's 1-2-Switch. It's just too late to reveal anything significant at this point, but there's enough bad press and optics going against those two games to warrant such a short marketing turnaround.
Wasn’t there some credible journalist for a while saying metroid prime remastered was a guaranteed holiday release. Could have sworn I saw that on here.

Wasn’t there some credible journalist for a while saying metroid prime remastered was a guaranteed holiday release. Could have sworn I saw that on here.

Jeff Grubb is still sure that it will launch before the holidays and has doubled down on that. Other credible sources, however, are not so sure about the announcement and release time frame, even though everyone agrees that it exists and believes that it is in a launchable or nearly launchable state. That's not necessarily doubting Grubb's info - it might just mean that other sources have not been able to collaborate his source for the doubling down or that people believe that the initial announcement/launch plan has shifted. That might possibly be due to marketing synergy with MP4, but Nintendo could also just shift plans about to cover gaps and delays (cf. Xenoblade Chronicles 3).

MP1R will come eventually and probably soon, but I wouldn't bank on it this year. My prediction personally, since we didn't see it in the last Direct, is that we'll see it in the February Direct, for a H1 '23 release.​

MP1R is gonna launch December 31st so that Grubb can claim to be right while still being basically wrong

:p

Jeff Grubb is still sure that it will launch before the holidays and has doubled down on that. Other credible sources, however, are not so sure about the announcement and release time frame, even though everyone agrees that it exists and believes that it is in a launchable or nearly launchable state. That's not necessarily doubting Grubb's info - it might just mean that other sources have not been able to collaborate his source for the doubling down or that people believe that the initial announcement/launch plan has shifted. That might possibly be due to marketing synergy with MP4, but Nintendo could also just shift plans about to cover gaps and delays (cf. Xenoblade Chronicles 3).

MP1R will come eventually and probably soon, but I wouldn't bank on it this year. My prediction personally, since we didn't see it in the last Direct, is that we'll see it in the February Direct, for a H1 '23 release.​
When was the last time a journalist spoke about it? Feel like it's been a month or 2. Not a chance it's coming this year.

Quoted by: Joe
When was the last time a journalist spoke about it? Feel like it's been a month or 2. Not a chance it's coming this year.
953702.jpg

i think you re overreacting to my comment lol.
I'm more concerned about the practice of singling reviewers out for pushing an aggregate below 90 than the methodology of the aggregate in the first place.

It's not a tasteful joke.

Last edited:
I think its silly to get worked up over review scores, especially when the game is generally reviewing well, like this one. Really, who cares that it didn’t hit some arbitrary number? We would all be much better off not giving meta critic attention.

The DF tech review by John Linneman has dropped. Pretty scathing, but this was the most interesting line:

"This is a game where it feels as if the entire production is in search of more powerful hardware that has never arrived."

To use the meme du jour: "Does he know?"

He says that the game looks worse than every other Bayonetta game except the original's PS3 version. That was in 2009. 13 years ago. By god it's time for a new Switch.

Was not expecting the game to be 480p in handheld. Game didn’t deserve to release on the Switch should have been held until the successor.

Was not expecting the game to be 480p in handheld. Game didn’t deserve to release on the Switch should have been held until the successor.
Have been playing in handheld mode about 2 hours.

Had no idea it was 480p.

Do not care one bit, the image looks quite nice to me.

I don’t think it’s 480p all the time. Having looked at the DF video, the wording makes it sound like the dynamic resolution can get as low as 480p at times. Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense to me seeing as how Bayonetta 3 is much clearer for me than SMTV (the only Switch game I had to drop due to blurry visuals), the latter of which was quoted as having frames of about 500p - 720p in the DF video.

The DF tech review by John Linneman has dropped. Pretty scathing, but this was the most interesting line:

"This is a game where it feels as if the entire production is in search of more powerful hardware that has never arrived."

He says that the game looks worse than every other Bayonetta game except the original's PS3 version. That was in 2009. 13 years ago. By god it's time for a new Switch.
The Tokyo scenery shown in the DF video kinda reminds me of some areas in No More Heroes 3 (a game I love, mind you), which isn’t the best look. Especially after Bayo 2 which was beautiful and had pretty solid framerate.

My copy of the game is arriving on Monday, after seeing the video I think I’ll have a quick run of the game on the current Switch and wait for the Drake for a more thorough playthrough.

I still remember when this was first announced and we thought it’d release within a year or two at most lmao

Its crazy that it somehow looks worse than 2!? Not trying to be hyperbolic, but that doesn’t make sense. Isn’t the switch more powerful than the wii u

Its crazy that it somehow looks worse than 2!? Not trying to be hyperbolic, but that doesn’t make sense. Isn’t the switch more powerful than the wii u
Yes, and Bayo 2 is also on the Switch.

It's an opinion, plain and simple. I think the tech looks much better in this game but the art style is not quite as pleasing to me as Bayo 2 at least so far. Bayo 2 had a much more striking color pallette IMO.

I see people complaining about framedrops and resolutions while I'm here enjoying destroying everything as a giant demonic dragon, completely obliviuos to those problems. Growing up with the NES must've made me impervious to slowdons or something.

Anyway, the combat system is a blast, huge step up from Bayo2 and awesome evolution from 1. The Game doesn't start as strong as 2, but the setpieces are even crazier and chapter 3 is fucking amazing. It reminded me of chapter 5 in Bayo2 and how everyone went crazy with the fight against Balder while the summons ducked It out in the background. This is in a completely different scale. Oh, and I usually despise the minigames in Platinum games, but these ones are pretty cool.

Special mention to the tutorial for the spy mission: Most stylish and coolest tutorial EVER. Whoever thought about that deserves a raise.

Btw, no one in the industry does crazy like Platinum!

Help us, Edge Magazine, ur our only hope!

===

Once again an eye-opening Digital Foundry deep-dive.

But ah wells, just picked up Trinity Masquerade Edition and it looks 🔥, so zero flips given.

Hopefully performance patches will be a Thing for all our fave games once Super Switch arrives 🙏

there def something a little off about the way characters faces look. don't know if it's the lighting or what but every once in a while I go "ah!" because it stands out

It's an opinion, plain and simple. I think the tech looks much better in this game but the art style is not quite as pleasing to me as Bayo 2 at least so far. Bayo 2 had a much more striking color pallette IMO.
I've seen this suggested a fair amount glancing here and there, which is unfortunate since art style can really make up for different technical shortcomings and elevate a game -- Nintendo's usually pretty good at that. Also, this is Platinum: they're meant to be stylish.

Special mention to the tutorial for the spy mission: Most stylish and coolest tutorial EVER. Whoever thought about that deserves a raise.
I'm intrigued.

You all have me really wanting to push this up my list to actually get to playing already, but I probably should get through a few other things first ...
These are exciting times, though.

Well seems like they got more ambitious for the game, you have the big monster battles after all. Frankly they should just stayed in the same level as 2 as clearly the aged switch hardware ain’t gonna the game any favors or any recent first party ones for that matter

Last edited:
I give a wet rubbish about Meta- Critic- Score. To have a real comparability, you would need a consistent quantity of professional reviewers from all over the world. Not every Karl's and Otto's thoughts munched together into one pot.

I don’t think it’s 480p all the time. Having looked at the DF video, the wording makes it sound like the dynamic resolution can get as low as 480p at times. Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense to me seeing as how Bayonetta 3 is much clearer for me than SMTV (the only Switch game I had to drop due to blurry visuals), the latter of which was quoted as having frames of about 500p - 720p in the DF video.
I don’t think 480p is its max resolution either, but that doesn’t matter. If DF lists the lowest possible resolution at any point, that’s what people think is the max resolution.

did you play lots of game freak games while you were gone?

As for bayo, wow, some comments from DF, for sure. And DF always tries to be understanding of nintendo's shit lol
I've actually replayed mario odyssey, 3d world and bowser fury during my forced vacation and I wanted to make a 3d Mario thread but when I came back there were already 3 3d mario thread so I decided not to.

Back
Top Bottom