• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Bayonetta 3 | Review Thread

mazi

picross pundit
Metacritic (86)
OpenCritic (85)

Eurogamer (recommended):
Bayonetta 3 might not be as consistently brilliant as its predecessors, but when it's good it's next to godly; playing as Bayonetta with her entire suite of toys unlocked is as electrifying as it's ever been, a spectacle of sinewy combat and S&M excess that's uniquely, defiantly video games. It's so over-the-top that trying to make sense of it would be a mistake, and while the rough edges are a disappointment if you embrace the chaos there's a lot to love here. Bayonetta 3 is overstated, in parts underbaked - but it's rarely less than a thrill.

Destructoid (10/10):
When playing Bayonetta 3, much to my delight, I had no clue what was going to happen next at all times. I was absorbed, and between the crazy story, the environments, and the action system that’s been refined through two prior games (and years of experience), I had very little downtime. It’s pretty much everything an action fan could want.

Nintendo Life (10/10):
Bayonetta 3 cranks up the chaos, improves the combat, polishes the level design, and adds a ton of new mechanics to the mix, making for the very best entry in this storied series to date. PlatinumGames has absolutely nailed it this time around, carefully layering on more ways to engage enemies, piling on the OTT gameplay sequences, and giving us multiple protagonists without upsetting the balance of what makes these games amongst the very best examples of their genre. With excellent performance in docked and handheld modes, incredible visuals, non-stop action, and a hugely replayable campaign that's a joy from start to finish, this really is a huge celebration of everything we love about Bayonetta, an action all-timer and one of the biggest highlights of 2022, on Switch or any platform.

VG247 (5/5):
As a game, and as a tonic for people sick of buying season passes and DLC, Bayonetta 3 is an essential romp; a love-letter to classic Nintendo games that delight in making you laugh, smirk, and feel like an absolute badass. PlatinumGames has misfired a little lately, but with this fitting conclusion to the original Bayonetta trilogy, the studio proves it can still fire on all cylinders and then some. This might just be one of the best games on the Nintendo Switch.

GameSpot (9/10):
I'm not sure whether it's because of the game's fantastic music, the use of the word "verse" to refer to encounters, or her over-the-top style, but when I think of Bayonetta I can't help but imagine her as a popstar. Bayonetta 3 feels like her Las Vegas residency: a lavish and spectacular show where each number is beautifully choreographed, every song is a banger, and the guest appearances are sure to delight. It’s a fast-paced and joyous adventure that achieves its goals with an abundance of charisma and style. While it might have taken the better part of a decade to get here, the queen is back, and she's ready to serve.

GAMINGbible (9/10):
Bayonetta 3 is a near-perfect game. I’ve never considered that the combat in Bayonetta or its sequel was missing anything in particular, but the third game’s new inclusions are so well refined that it may be difficult to return to the previous titles having experienced this one. Furthermore, the story, despite a few confusing points, has easily cemented itself as my favourite of the three. Not only is this one of the Switch’s best titles of the year, it’s truly one of its strongest to date.

God is a Geek (9/10):
Compelling from start to finish, Bayonetta 3 is an exceptional time and up there with the very best there is - and was worth the wait.

Press Start (9/10):
Bayonetta 3 successfully reinvents itself in many ways to offer an experience that feels worthy of the title of sequel. It successfully shakes up the combat from the previous games by implementing new abilities that help keep things familiar but fresh. Some of the gimmicky battles bring the pacing down and dreaded, but ubiquitous Switch-related performance issues remain. As a whole, Bayonetta 3 eclipses its predecessor and is truly one of the most bombastic and enjoyable action games you can play.

Screen Rant (4.5/5):
Bayonetta 3 is one of the best action games on the Nintendo Switch, surpassing even Platinum's Astral Chain in terms of scale and entertainment value.

NintendoWorldReport (9/10):
Bayonetta 3 is the kind of game that makes you wonder where a series could possibly go from here, because I can't imagine a sequel being bigger or better than this. Platinum Games pulled out all the stops for this one, both expanding on the Bayonetta franchise as it was and learning from other games they made in years between to bring the franchise to a new peak. The game is constantly swinging for the fences, and while it may strike out a few times it manages to hit plenty of home runs in the process. It’s been nearly five years since Bayonetta 3 was first announced, and after years of silence it finally seems that it was absolutely worth the wait.

Shacknews (9/10):
If you love the series and want to experience more of what made the first two games great, you’ll find all that and more in Bayonetta 3, which dials things up to 11 and then some.

Siliconera (9/10):
Bayonetta 3 is over-the-top in every possible way, and I get the feeling newcomers and long-time fans of the series will appreciate that.

Stevivor (9/10):
At the end of my time with Bayonetta 3, I find myself surprised at how much fun I had, and excited to go back and experience the first two titles of the series as well.

The Independent (4.5/5):
Bayonetta 3 is an outrageous and fitting return to form for the umbra witch and her posse of occultish heavy hitters. Substantial improvements and additions to combat mean there are seemingly endless options for different styles of play, as well as making the prospect of revisiting each stage, verse and hidden objective more compelling than it ever has been, with the crowning jewel being Viola’s introduction into the franchise.

Wccftech (9/10):
Bayonetta 3 is the series’ best entry yet, offering an engaging universe-hopping story, bombastic cinematic moments, and refined action that’s both accessible and deeper than ever before. The game can feel slightly hemmed in on the Switch, but Platinum pummels every bit of possible performance out of the hardware. Whether you and Bayonetta have history or not, this is an engagement not to be missed.

Game Informer (8.25/10):
Bayonetta 3, for the vast majority of its runtime, is an absolute blast. It's bombastic, over-the-top, and extravagant for the sake of extravagance, leaving ruins, literally, in its wake. I'm already going back through each level trying for better scores, and I have no immediate plans of stopping. I may be hesitant about the series' future, but at present, this is the best Bayonetta has ever been.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
A crazy, over-the-top spectacle that’s uproariously enjoyable, with its only restraint being Nintendo’s handheld hardware.

Twinfinite (4/5):
Bayonetta 3 is an ode to the longtime fans who've stuck with the game since 2009. While it's certainly not without its obvious flaws and missteps, I can't imagine that fans would be very disappointed with how this third, explosive entry has turned out. The way is open for even more shenanigans and adventures set in this colorful universe, and it's exciting to see what our Umbra Witches will bring to the table in a new era.

VGC (4/5):
While some ideas get lost in Bayonetta 3’s endless sprint to keep you entertained, there’s no other action game with this imagination, wit or style. Prepare to explore its mad depths for weeks.

Vooks (4/5):
Bayonetta 3 brings plenty of the series charm and excitement back after all these years. It meanders a little more than the previous game but still keeps the pace with the wild bombastic (and silly) sequences to keep you on your toes. It may have been a long time between games, but there's enough to keep fans busy for some time.

GamesRadar (3.5/5):
When the witch takes charge, this demonic fighter is better than ever. After eight long years, PlatinumGames has delivered a sequel which successfully celebrates the series, although it does have problems with pacing and a split-focus.

Last edited:
Thank you for your work on the review threads as always, @mazi !!

Personally not interested in Bayonetta but excited to see how it will be received. Hoping that the series fans are in for a treat. :)

Final opinion: i dont think it will get a 90 because of stromger games who couldnt keep their 90.

I do hope it shatters what im saying and gets tho cause bayo deserves and needs it.

It should be a +90 game easily but due to recently biased about Switch graphics capabilities I will go with a 87-88.

Between everyone docking for graphics (ok, let's dock indie games then?) and the Helena situation, I don't think we'll hit 90. There will be some unconscious bias for sure.

Bayonetta 2 is going to be a hard game to top. I’m expecting a messier game with Bayonetta 3, but regardless of how this game shakes out, I’m super excited to play it this week.

I’m excited! I’ll try my best not to pay much attention to the usual “this game needed better hardware”.

Fully expecting glowing reviews from Eurogamer and Destructoid which are the main two sites I use for reviews and they had high praise for the previous two games.

"Insane action, P* at it's best, best Bayonetta game to date - 7 / 10" - Gamespot

Mark this post! ;D

I may or may not be kidding.

It probably won't review as well as Bayonetta 2, but I am optimistic it will be a better game overall. Bayonetta 2 released in 2014 which was a particularly dire year for games and I think that, plus a sense of retrospective appreciation for the original game, inflated the review scores a bit. A shame about the Hellena Taylor situation too.

Expecting to love it and will have some light hearted fun ranting about the 89/high 80s curse.

There seems to be a lot of doom surrounding the long-feared 89 Curse this spooky season, but who better to push through that than Bayonetta herself?

Legends say the first trials should have been a death sentence for her time on this earth, the immediate plummet to the depths of the bargain bin, the PS3 port most accursed.

The hordes came with torches and pitchforks upon her unholy return.

She has fought her way back once more, and again the mobs respond, the brainless insects that would blot out the sun and cast darkness over the face of the earth this Samhain season. Voices call out for her death once more.

She's seen this all before. Hers is the continual story of plunging to the depths of hell and fighting her way back out again.

Who better to fight through the dread 89 Curse?

We really need to talk about the power of the witch!

Literally someone put out a launch trailer to Prodeus on reddit and the very first comment was "I have it on Steam Deck, it's good". Like dudes. Ok.

"How do you know someone went to Harvard?" They'll tell you".

It's like that.
It's funny, because if you turn back the clock to 2017/2018, you would see these kind of comments about Switch owners all the time 🙂

screenshot2022-10-25a7dehu.png

So what is it exactly with nearly every Switch first party feeling like it gets 87 to 89s on Metacritic? Like I have noticed this pattern where Switch output by Metacritic standards is basically “Great! Almost amazing!” 😆

So what is it exactly with nearly every Switch first party feeling like it gets 87 to 89s on Metacritic? Like I have noticed this pattern where Switch output by Metacritic standards is basically “Great! Almost amazing!” 😆
Cracking 90 has been pretty hard for most games for the past two years, not just Nintendo stuff. Last year had two (!) and one was an expansion.

Great scores! Around where everyone was expecting it to be;P

Also - It kind of bothers me that bombastic almost always is used in the wrong way in reviews.

Back
Top Bottom