• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Previews Bayonetta 3 Previews Going Up

A reminder that gameplay performance is a completely different discussion to whether a game has top notch graphics or not.

Games can target the Switch and have still have stellar performance: look at Mario Odyssey. Absolutely flawless performance throughout, and that game isn't exactly lacking in big setpiece moments or expansive levels.

Platinum have known the specs of the Switch since day one. The debate about whether Bayonetta 3 would look better on PS5 or Xbox is separate to the debate about whether they have managed to tailor the game's performance to the Switch's specs.

In addition, Platinum's games have been known to have wonky performance for a while now. Their gameplay design is top notch, but they really struggle to make a game that runs at a consistent locked framerate without dips, screen tearing or chugs. Gameplay performance does matter, especially with fast paced action games. If you watched a film on Netflix and it kept dropping frames every minute or so, you can bet people would get upset over it.

Journos commenting on the game's performance isn't a personal insult to Nintendo or anything like that, it's just evidence that Platinum need to perhaps spend more time polishing the performance for the hardware they've designed the game for.

Critics today Is really biased, in my opinin. Sites and magazines are all about how a game looks, how long It takes to be beaten, how content filled Is, how glorious are the production values etc.

On the other hand, Little attention Is dedicated to how a game works, how Is mechanically designed, how Is supposed to challenge and/or entertain the player, how the gameplay Is designed and why Is so.

This Is the reason why I have a hard time to read review. I have a handful of italian (I'm italian of course) and american videogame journalist that I follow because they deeply value what I think is worth to value in a videogame, but that's It.
And, of course, different elements of these sorts can inform whether someone is interested and can be worth noting in different ways. Many people obviously care about graphical fidelity, game length, content quantity -- and the ways these are talked about can help inform people beyond that.

And, unfortunately, an apparently significant portion of the reviews' readerbase isn't going to care about, nor perhaps recognice, some of those core design-related discussions.

That's assuming, also, that the reviewers in question possess the knowledge base and subsequent ability to discuss these different components, which is, itself, not a guarantee. They might attempt to address it, still, suggesting whether they found a title fun or such, but without being able to dissect the particulars.

And all that information can be particularly helpful. Sometimes, yeah, you just have to find the people who care about and will consider the same things as you.

That said, while this distinction can be good to keep in mind, I'm not certain as to its current relevance:
A reminder that gameplay performance is a completely different discussion to whether a game has top notch graphics or not.

Games can target the Switch and have still have stellar performance: look at Mario Odyssey. Absolutely flawless performance throughout, and that game isn't exactly lacking in big setpiece moments or expansive levels.

Platinum have known the specs of the Switch since day one. The debate about whether Bayonetta 3 would look better on PS5 or Xbox is separate to the debate about whether they have managed to tailor the game's performance to the Switch's specs.

This is the relevant portion of the text:
in an unfortunate way, it also highlighted an issue that’s been front of mind for many Switch owners as of late – the Nintendo Switch is showing its age

While not totally a fault of the game, my brief time with Bayonetta 3 showed that some concessions had to be made to get it running consistently. While the core combat runs at 60 frames per second (FPS), the cutscenes and cinematics are set at 30FPS. The transitions can often come off as jarring, and what’s worse is how the visuals and textures have a blurriness to them.

During this preview, I was playing exclusively on a monitor with the Nintendo Switch in docked mode. While the gameplay flows incredibly well running at 60FPS, it did look a bit washed in motion. Of course, these issues are increasingly more common with Switch games, which is a bummer to see.
What's written seems to indicate that the performance itself (for the portion they've played; certainly this could be impacted at various points in the full game, but this is the information provided) is actually really good, that "the gameplay flows incredibly well running at 60FPS" and that the big complaint is "the visuals and textures" -- which, again, can have a place to be mentioned if deemed important, but that can lead to murky territory.

In addition, Platinum's games have been known to have wonky performance for a while now. Their gameplay design is top notch, but they really struggle to make a game that runs at a consistent locked framerate without dips, screen tearing or chugs. Gameplay performance does matter, especially with fast paced action games. If you watched a film on Netflix and it kept dropping frames every minute or so, you can bet people would get upset over it.
This, though, would indicate that any such concerns wouldn't highlight the problem of aging Switch hardware, which would change the framing and course of discussion. However, those don't even seem to be the concerns that are raised.

And a consistent pattern of such might be worth pointing out where performance is mentioned.

Journos commenting on the game's performance isn't a personal insult to Nintendo or anything like that
I do feel this should be highlighted, though. The years have heated various tensions and led to people expecting particular sorts of statements in discourse -- with the understanding that those statements are meant to be derisive. There can be a lot of hyperbole involved and in response, but the existence of criticism itself won't necessarily point to any nefarious intent.

In this particular case, any agenda in this framing seems to be a desire for new hardware to play with, which maybe didn't fit as well here as the writer and editorial assumed.

Journos commenting on the game's performance isn't a personal insult to Nintendo or anything like that, it's just evidence that Platinum need to perhaps spend more time polishing the performance for the hardware they've designed the game for.
yeah, this. one can argue that a more powerful switch would make that polishing process less difficult, but in this case the studio knew what the console's limitations were from the beginning

*Edit: please don’t be pedantic about this specific line. yes it’s more powerful than the PS3 but we’re definitely not getting anywhere near PS4 rn

If you don't want people to be "pedantic" then don't post this kind of thing. Like, posting your opinion means being prepared for it to be challenged and evaluated. If you don't want that, then don't post it!

A lot more footage of the prologue here:

The animation work looks superb and everything from the combat to summoning in-and-out looks incredibly smooth. This is gonna be an amazing game.

Last edited:
In one sequence of the trailer It looks like there are some glowing mushrooms spread around that you have to collect. It instantly reminded me of the similar stuff in Astral Chain...Hope it's just a way to get some extra money and doesn't count for ranking.

Anyway, we're one day closer to release! Wohooo!!

Really not trying to hear comments about the hardware "holding anything back". It achieves its 60FPS, which is more than many 1st party PS titles over the years, which sacrificed that for perceived "visual fidelity spectacle". Bloodborne did it. Uncharted 4 did it. God Of War did it. Even Little Big Planet 3 (Cross-Gen title) didn't have 60FPS, but nobody can say with a straight face that its visuals were orders of magnitude better than Yoshi's Wolly World, for example, a title on less powerful hardware, which committed to and delivered on 60FPS. In that case, you had a title with a better hardware example, but resolution aside, the end gameplay experience was mostly the same, and nobody wanted to have THAT discussion. So, I'm not here for the masquerade over "hardware concerns".

It's not alright to mention the hardware. Bayonetta sequels would not exist without Nintendo's intervention in the first place, and THAT is your alternative. These people are not slick. Actually, I'll go further and say it - All hardware complaints about these games which wouldn't exist otherwise are straight-up apologism for the people who sent PlatinumGames death threats at the time. That's what they're aligning themselves with, and they should give their heads a wobble. Complaints about hardware are things which simply don't exist elsewhere, and they're arbitrary as fuck because consoles never eclipse PCs - You're just drawing a line under your favourite platform, which so happens to exclude Nintendo ones. It's entirely bad faith, and should be treated as such. Even on cross-gen titles, nobody speaks of the PS4 versions in this spirit. Nobody used to say "play this on PC, it's held back by the Jaguar CPU". We never did this with NieR: Automata, a game which doesn't scream "looks orders of magnitude better than any of the Bayonetta games, or what the Wii U was capable of", and it's not going to be so much worse on the Switch, even in portable mode, when it drops next month. It's (almost) exclusively a Nintendo thing, and it's neither fair nor professional nor acceptable.

Nobody ever said TLOU was held back by the PS3, and it was one of the swansongs of that hardware, which found itself remastered on its successor a year later, and once more recently, where nobody called it "a PS3 game at heart". Nobody did the same for its sequel, or said "We need a PS5 for it". GTA5 received the scores it did, even with XB1/PS4 on the horizon, and complaints about hardware were absent - In fact, the Wii U was the most powerful system on the market at the time, but nobody said "It would've been cool to have this on the Wii U!!". Stop hiding your anti-Nintendo, colossal port-beg aspirations behind "hardware concerns" - That's one criticism which should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

Last edited:
Nobody ever said TLOU was held back by the PS3, and it was one of the swansongs of that hardware, which found itself remastered on its successor a year later, and once more recently, where nobody called it "a PS3 game at heart". Nobody did the same for its sequel, or said "We need a PS5 for it". GTA5 received the scores it did, even with XB1/PS4 on the horizon, and complaints about hardware were absent - In fact, the Wii U was the most powerful system on the market at the time, but nobody said "It would've been cool to have this on the Wii U!!". Stop hiding your anti-Nintendo, colossal port-beg aspirations behind "hardware concerns" - That's one criticism which should be treated with the contempt it deserves.
Out of curiosity, I went through the positive reviews of The Last of Us on Metacritic and Ctrl+Fd "PS4", "frame", "performance", "age" and "aging" in all the English reviews that were still accessible. Out of more than 20 reviews, only one mentioned anything about performance and described it as minor issues with some effects, even though the game rarely maintains its 30 fps target and frequently dips into the mid-low 20s. This was for a PS3 game that was released when the PS4 had already been officially revealed, just had an E3 showing and was five months away from release. The PS3 was also a whole year older than the Switch is currently.

While performance was not an issue for Part II, only one or two reviews out of about 50 mentioned a PS5 version or patch, and only did so in passing. Just like with the first game, the PS5 was launching a mere five months later.

Breath of the Wild's framerate issues are mentioned more than twice as often as Elden Ring's over 50 reviews despite both games having performance issues. I don't recall BotW being that bad, though I mostly played in portable mode which supposedly has much better performance.

I'm not saying Switch games don't have performance issues or that reviewers are doing this on purpose, and I haven't checked if this is happening across the board. I also care quite a bit about performance. Having said that, there does seem to be more of a tendency to point out performance/image quality issues on Switch while blaming the hardware based on my limited survey, and this started as far back as the system's launch.

Stop hiding your anti-Nintendo, colossal port-beg aspirations behind "hardware concerns" - That's one criticism which should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

there does seem to be more of a tendency to point out performance/image quality issues on Switch

Honestly I just think the "baseline frame of reference" has moved for the majority of reviewers and that is really all it comes down to.

When notable titles like The Last of Us and GTAV released in 2013, the PS360 was still the baseline for most players.

But by 2022, not only the PS5/X-Series level of fidelity has taken root among a rapidly increasing number of players, but the baseline for the previous near-decade was already the PS4-XBO. In other words, that "frame of reference" was already somewhat higher than what the switch generally outputs.

While I don't have any of those consoles, I can conceive that having that as my baseline and then going to a switch title might be "jarring" for some folks.

When those folks are reviewers, unsurprisingly they gonna note that initial visceral response. So I don't think it's even sub-consciously malicious, but rather a predictable reaction depending on where a person spends the majority of their gaming time. What JohnO observed therefore is the trend I would expect to see in terms of platform/performance comments.

For me, the switch is the most advanced game device I've had until the Steam deck. So I am gonna have a very different frame of reference than your average enthusiastic multi-plat video game enjoyer.

And to me Bayo 3 is lookin glorious. 😎

Honestly I just think the "baseline frame of reference" has moved for the majority of reviewers and that is really all it comes down to.

When notable titles like The Last of Us and GTAV released in 2013, the PS360 was still the baseline for most players.
It’s not like we didn’t have games that ran at a smooth 60 or 30 fps on PS360. Uncharted 3, an older Naughty Dog game, ran at a steady 30 with very rare 1-2 frame dips in the busiest scenes. Why did the reviewers’ baseline move backwards for TLoU?

Same goes for Elden Ring, which has uneven performance on all platforms, especially on last-gen.

Last edited:
A lot more footage of the prologue here:

The animation work looks superb and everything from the combat to summoning in-and-out looks incredibly smooth. This is gonna be an amazing game.

Giant demon dragon sliding through twisted skycrapers while evading flying train wagons and pursuing a giant monster to later water-sky on boats THIS IS WHAT GAMES ARE ABOUT!!

Seriously, games make it possible to make the most absurd and incredible situations come true, yet a huge part of the critics and public prefer to focus on stuff like the lighting of the freckles of the main character. Videogames peaked when Contra III made you fight a Flying Ninja Alien Robot while clinging with your bare hands to a missile that an helicopter was about abut to shoot to take down a giant spaceship. Everyday I think that there is a bigger divide between games that are meant to be PLAYED and those that are meant just to be WATCHED.

Last edited:
It’s not like we didn’t have games that ran at a smooth 60 or 30 fps on PS360. Uncharted 3, an older Naughty Dog game, ran at a steady 30 with very rare 1-2 frame dips in the busiest scenes. Why did the reviewers’ baseline move backwards for TLoU?

Same goes for Elden Ring, which has uneven performance on all platforms, especially on last-gen.
You could be right that there is unspoken bias. I just personally havent observed that to be the case vs a general trend of highlighting performance "concerns" in game evaluation overall.

For TLOU, and this might be me being "old man vs clouds" thing or just flat-out misremembering, when that released in 2013 I don't feel like console gamers were as vociferous as they are now about resolution and fps.

With Elden Ring tho, I defer to what you've seen. Beyond eyeballing the metacritic and general praise, I did not read reviews or game threads (didn't have a way to play the game!)

Despite my seeming defense, I'll say that IMO perf talk goes overboard and sometimes gets annoying to me. Probably we should brace ourselves for the Tears of the Kingdom reviews!

I've come to the conclusion that the discussion of slight perceived shortcomings is really an issue of framing. To point to highlighting the hardware's age -- presumably because the writer is among those pushing the idea Nintendo absolutely should have released a new console by now -- is inherently a different discussion than the merits of the game itself. And, yes, it can be worth pointing out where one determines there are shortcomings, and those can relate to how well the developer worked within the constraints of the hardware.

However, in this case it is worth noting that we're discussing a statement wherein the game's performance itself is held to be actually really good, but that the visual fidelity is sacrificed a bit to maintain that. This is a sign of the developer taking into account the hardware limitations, prioritizing elements of their game, and adjusting development to accommodate.

Perhaps the gameplay to cutscene transitions wouldn't draw the same comment if the scenes were in 24fps with simulated film grain for the full cinematic presentation.

In any case, I'm not so sure the comments on the hardware are, in this case, so much reflecting a desire for the game to be on other companies' hardware -- as was a trend for a long while --as for Nintendo to release their next console -- which still doesn't affect how well the game was developed for its release.

Which, again, the current impressions are promising. Theoretically, the game could tank or flounder after the segment these are based on, but what we have actually sounds like it should be really good.

I do contrast this with the gloomy atmosphere of doom that seemed to surround Platinum discussions for a while (and likely is still found, to be honest). They're still putting out good work, and I, for one, am glad of it.

Out of curiosity, I went through the positive reviews of The Last of Us on Metacritic and Ctrl+Fd "PS4", "frame", "performance", "age" and "aging" in all the English reviews that were still accessible. Out of more than 20 reviews, only one mentioned anything about performance and described it as minor issues with some effects, even though the game rarely maintains its 30 fps target and frequently dips into the mid-low 20s. This was for a PS3 game that was released when the PS4 had already been officially revealed, just had an E3 showing and was five months away from release. The PS3 was also a whole year older than the Switch is currently.

While performance was not an issue for Part II, only one or two reviews out of about 50 mentioned a PS5 version or patch, and only did so in passing. Just like with the first game, the PS5 was launching a mere five months later.

Breath of the Wild's framerate issues are mentioned more than twice as often as Elden Ring's over 50 reviews despite both games having performance issues. I don't recall BotW being that bad, though I mostly played in portable mode which supposedly has much better performance.

I'm not saying Switch games don't have performance issues or that reviewers are doing this on purpose, and I haven't checked if this is happening across the board. I also care quite a bit about performance. Having said that, there does seem to be more of a tendency to point out performance/image quality issues on Switch while blaming the hardware based on my limited survey, and this started as far back as the system's launch.

You have to look at the context of the situation. The Last of Us was one of the best looking games of all time upon it's release, even though PS3 hardware was old at the time, so of course they're not going to lament about how it looks. That is not the case with Bayo 3 at all. If the game looks dated to a reviewer then that is fine, they're free to express their opinion on the matter. I don't take reviews too seriously, they're just someone's opinion.

From my playthroughs, Elden Ring's framerate was far better than BotW's, so that makes sense to me. Even if it wasn't, BotW still managed to "win" 97-96. Any perceived anti Nintendo bias is false when literally no one else outside of maybe Rockstar is scoring 97's anymore despite the weak hardware.

can we stop the performance back and forth and discuss these serves instead.

This is such a neat twist on the combat system I’m so excited

A good reminder to everyone here that Bayonetta 1 and 2 are two of the most amazing videogames ever made, and we're getting a sequel in pretty much a month, who gives a shit about some previews talking about small dip in performance and if there's some bias in the gaming industry and from some reviewers; Bayonetta 3 is coming and looks amazing, we're going to play it and rate it ourselves and that's what's really important.

A good reminder to everyone here that Bayonetta 1 and 2 are two of the most amazing videogames ever made, and we're getting a sequel in pretty much a month, who gives a shit about some previews talking about small dip in performance and if there's some bias in the gaming industry and from some reviewers; Bayonetta 3 is coming and looks amazing, we're going to play it and rate it ourselves and that's what's really important.

Been waiting almost five years since the announcement!

Apart of the guns/fists and the Gomorrah hammer/rifle, have they shown any other weapons? Also, do we know if there are more "equippable" demons or are they just Madama Butterfly, Gomorrah and Phantasmaraneae?

In the previous games, each weapon was tied to a specific demon, so for example the Wicked Weaves with the guns will use Madama Butterfly's limbs, but the hammer would use Hecatoncheir's fists and so on. Has it been shown if the demon you have equipped will affect the Wicked Weaves you get?

A good reminder to everyone here that Bayonetta 1 and 2 are two of the most amazing videogames ever made, and we're getting a sequel in pretty much a month
I still think a new release like this should be a prime opportunity to release reprints of the previous games, like when a writer's new release prompts the reprinting of books from their backcatalogue, in much the same way I figured both the Smash reveal and release of the third game would make sense to reprint the high-demand Xenoblade 2 and even Torna. Luckily, we actually are getting a printing of the first Bayonetta in this case. It can be a good opportunity for people to pick it up.

Been waiting almost five years since the announcement!
And it looks like it could very well be worth the wait. Here's hoping it exceeds all expectations.

It seems to shake things up quite a bit, too, which might contribute some to that wait time.

who gives a shit about some previews talking about small dip in performance and if there's some bias in the gaming industry and from some reviewers; Bayonetta 3 is coming and looks amazing, we're going to play it and rate it ourselves and that's what's really important.
I suspect part of this is that we are in a thread about the previews, which includes those that put forth the statements in question , in addition to the echoes here of Nintendo discourse resounding through time immemorial, which might be provoking stronger reactions than would be otherwise presented. It seems sensible to expect those elements might be discussed, though they do run the risk easily of drowning out other aspects.

I still think a new release like this should be a prime opportunity to release reprints of the previous games, like when a writer's new release prompts the reprinting of books from their backcatalogue, in much the same way I figured both the Smash reveal and release of the third game would make sense to reprint the high-demand Xenoblade 2 and even Torna. Luckily, we actually are getting a printing of the first Bayonetta in this case. It can be a good opportunity for people to pick it up.

And it looks like it could very well be worth the wait. Here's hoping it exceeds all expectations.

It seems to shake things up quite a bit, too, which might contribute some to that wait time.

I suspect part of this is that we are in a thread about the previews, which includes those that put forth the statements in question , in addition to the echoes here of Nintendo discourse resounding through time immemorial, which might be provoking stronger reactions than would be otherwise presented. It seems sensible to expect those elements might be discussed, though they do run the risk easily of drowning out other aspects.
Yeah the problem is when the discussion of the previews becomes "the industy is biased and wants to sabotage this game for reasons" and other things that have 0 sense, especially when we're talking about previews and not even reviews of the main game.
Also as far as reprints I think the digital market is probably the reason as to why they don't feel the need to reprint the earlier games, if someone wants to play them they can just go and buy them digitally and the companies get the full revenue without paying the seller.

Apart of the guns/fists and the Gomorrah hammer/rifle, have they shown any other weapons? Also, do we know if there are more "equippable" demons or are they just Madama Butterfly, Gomorrah and Phantasmaraneae?

In the previous games, each weapon was tied to a specific demon, so for example the Wicked Weaves with the guns will use Madama Butterfly's limbs, but the hammer would use Hecatoncheir's fists and so on. Has it been shown if the demon you have equipped will affect the Wicked Weaves you get?
I believe we see a bladed weapon for the spider Demon (Phantasmaranae?) in one of the trailers

I think the Wicked Weaves in this game are still tied to weapons, since they seem to be tied to the transformation mechanic instead of the Demon summoning one

Really not trying to hear comments about the hardware "holding anything back". It achieves its 60FPS, which is more than many 1st party PS titles over the years, which sacrificed that for perceived "visual fidelity spectacle". Bloodborne did it. Uncharted 4 did it. God Of War did it. Even Little Big Planet 3 (Cross-Gen title) didn't have 60FPS, but nobody can say with a straight face that its visuals were orders of magnitude better than Yoshi's Wolly World, for example, a title on less powerful hardware, which committed to and delivered on 60FPS. In that case, you had a title with a better hardware example, but resolution aside, the end gameplay experience was mostly the same, and nobody wanted to have THAT discussion. So, I'm not here for the masquerade over "hardware concerns".

It's not alright to mention the hardware. Bayonetta sequels would not exist without Nintendo's intervention in the first place, and THAT is your alternative. These people are not slick. Actually, I'll go further and say it - All hardware complaints about these games which wouldn't exist otherwise are straight-up apologism for the people who sent PlatinumGames death threats at the time. That's what they're aligning themselves with, and they should give their heads a wobble. Complaints about hardware are things which simply don't exist elsewhere, and they're arbitrary as fuck because consoles never eclipse PCs - You're just drawing a line under your favourite platform, which so happens to exclude Nintendo ones. It's entirely bad faith, and should be treated as such. Even on cross-gen titles, nobody speaks of the PS4 versions in this spirit. Nobody used to say "play this on PC, it's held back by the Jaguar CPU". We never did this with NieR: Automata, a game which doesn't scream "looks orders of magnitude better than any of the Bayonetta games, or what the Wii U was capable of", and it's not going to be so much worse on the Switch, even in portable mode, when it drops next month. It's (almost) exclusively a Nintendo thing, and it's neither fair nor professional nor acceptable.

Just to chime in there as someone that would probably give BotW a 10/10 back then... it had som serious performance issues.
Especially on the plateau, in korok forest but also with regular enemies, where on the regular the game woul freeze for a couple frames on an inpact or when alpha effects where involved. And loading times where kinda tedious for the Shrines.
By now they patched it so much that all of those are not existing anymore or so small that you can ingore it.
But on release, there where for shure some bigger performance issues.
Cant speak for Elden Ring on consoles. There probably also the bias, that the artsyle of Elden Ring pushes the tech more?

But by 2022, not only the PS5/X-Series level of fidelity has taken root among a rapidly increasing number of players, but the baseline for the previous near-decade was already the PS4-XBO. In other words, that "frame of reference" was already somewhat higher than what the switch generally outputs.

While I don't have any of those consoles, I can conceive that having that as my baseline and then going to a switch title might be "jarring" for some folks.

When those folks are reviewers, unsurprisingly they gonna note that initial visceral response. So I don't think it's even sub-consciously malicious, but rather a predictable reaction depending on where a person spends the majority of their gaming time. What JohnO observed therefore is the trend I would expect to see in terms of platform/performance comments.

For me, the switch is the most advanced game device I've had until the Steam deck. So I am gonna have a very different frame of reference than your average enthusiastic multi-plat video game enjoyer.

And to me Bayo 3 is lookin glorious. 😎
Yeah...
its rather simple. does bayonetta look good? i would say so. Does it look and perform good in switch context? yeah.
Does it look good compared to... DMC5, a 4 year old game? well, not as good is what i would say.

It is a fact that the game would have more resources to work with on a contemporary console or with a switch revision.
And some feel like the game would benefit greatly from that. (especially if you are a fan of the genre, there are 2 series, DMC and Bayonetta, so having half of your games stuck on a tech level of a decade ago maybe stings a bit, especially if you dont care for handheld at all)

Should that go into a preview/review? eh... kinda. those are not objective descriptions of a release, those are the personal impressions of the person, and its for the reader to decide if they have the same preferences as the (p)reviewer.

Back
Top Bottom