• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Awesome Games Done Quick |ST| Now Without Orlando!

Nanashrew

The Sandshrew
Pronouns
He/Him
banner_big202356fss.png
Welcome to the Awesome Games Done Quick 2023 thread! Awesome Games Done Quick (AGDQ) is a long-running charity event where the speedrunning community comes together to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. AGDQ 2023 will be running 24/7 from January 8th to 15th, livestreamed on Twitch.TV, featuring many speedrunners from all over the world running many of your favourite games. Viewers are invited to donate in order to unlock bonus games and events, or to enter in to raffles to win cool prizes. Games Done Quick has raised over 28 Million US Dollars for charity since its inception, making it the largest fundraising event for Prevent Cancer Foundation (and Doctors Without Borders)! This year AGDQ will be held online again due to the on-going apocalypse, but also a special shout out! Fuck Ron DeSantis for his Don't Say Gay bill and making Florida increasingly unsafe for all.

Want up to date info on Games Done Quick events!? Check out Games Done Quick on Twitter, Youtube, Twitch, and the Games Done Quick official website!

The Prevent Cancer Foundation is a United States-based non-profit organization which is dedicated to cancer prevention and early detection. Founded in 1985, the Prevent Cancer Foundation has won awards for transparency, and can average of 79 cents of every dollar donated goes directly in to the charity’s programs, including cancer-related research, cancer awareness, and reducing the legal and economic barriers to cancer treatment. Find out more at www.PreventCancer.org
Games Done Quick events are partnered with Twitch.TV! You can find all their events (including AGDQ, SGDQ, GDQX, Frame Fatales, GDQ Hotfix, and more!) on their official Twitch page:
Fear not! With Awesome Games Done Quick running 24 hours a day, all week long, you’re bound to miss some great runs. Fortunately, it’s easy to find VODs on both Twitch and YouTube. /r/Speedrun has an updated VOD thread with timestamps for Twitch VODs, and GDQ gradually uploads runs to their YouTube channel. Even if you just missed the beginning of a run and want to rewind a short amount of time, Twitch automatically uploads a VOD of streams even if they’re still live! You can find the current stream in the “Recent Broadcasts” header under Videos on the Games Done Quick Twitch page.
Games Done Quick Twitch VODs: twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/videos
Games Done Quick YouTube VODs: https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick

All events, complete with Game, Runner, Runtime, and Donation reader in a handy format which automatically converts to your local time zone! Plan which days to skip out on work or class, or the optimal time to take a “bathroom break.” Keep in mind that the schedule will shift over time as runs finish under- or over-estimate, and additional bonus events are added.

banner_donationjrjmq.png
Want to donate!? There are multiple ways to contribute! Donations can be made directly to PCF via Games Done Quick’s portal. Alternatively, you can buy cool limited time T-Shirt, Buttons, and Banners from The Yetee, an official partner of Games Done Quick. All profits from this merch is donated to PCF via GDQ!
Want to see how high the donation total has gotten? Maybe you want to see the upcoming incentives or prizes? Games Done Quick provides a simple donation tracker!

banner_question_finalqlkr4.png
Q: I really love Awesome Games Done Quick, but Twitch chat is awful! Where can I go to discuss the marathon free of spam, bigotry, and bad memes!?
A: We have a long running community which originally started as a private Twitch chat, and has since moved to Discord! Feel free to join us, just please read #info and familiarize yourself with the rules!​

Q: WHAT THE HECK!? THEY’RE USING GLITCHES!
A: Speedrunning is the process of beating a game as fast as humanly possible! This includes the use of glitches. The number of glitches used varies by game, of course, and there are a variety of categories which each utilize different strategies. The schedule entry between the time slot and the system the game is being run on shows which category will be featured at AGDQ, including “any%”, which is beating the game as fast as possible without restrictions, and “glitchless” or “no major glitches” categories which disallow some or all glitches.​

Q: Dang this is so cool! How can I watch more speedruns!?
A: The Games Done Quick Twitch channel hosts an increasingly varied number of events all year around. Other marathons (including European Speedrun Assembly, and a number of tournaments and community marathons) are regularly hosted all over Twitch. Simply searching for speedruns on Youtube, or glancing at the SpeedRuns.com leader boards will give you a host of awesome runs to watch.​

Last edited:
nice, looking forward to a lot of the runs. splatoon 3 and astral chain should be interesting.

edit: neon white is gonna be insane

edit: twewy final remix?!

I got a postcard from the prevent cancer foundation reminding me of it! It was really cute and themed, with some SNES cart art. May need to find a way to get out of work for a day that week to binge it.

I'm so excited for AGDQ! Been busy these last few days, but I want to sit down soon, stare at the schedule and pick out what I want to try to watch (given the always fluid schedule cooperates lol).

Real shame that this one couldn't be in-person, but it's still gonna be good.

The Metroid Dread race is gonna be SICK! :D

Hey, new GDQ. Looking forward to BotW, DKC3 and Super Mario Bros. 3. Also I've never seen a run of Fallout 3 and Mega Man ZX,

If only the time schedule would be better for me.

Strong start today, really looking forward to BotW, SotN and Borderlands.

Haven't finished Splatoon 3's story yet, so I'll check in with BotW later today.

This opening line up is strongly in line with my interests. Hopefully it brings in a lot of folks early.

I see instead of the audience we have The Ladder to watch per donation lol

Yeah, I thought that and the few other animations were a fun idea over watching the number go up!

Also when they had tech troubles they had a "vote for the winner" thing for a CPU round of I think SF2.

interesting.

uh, FF7 no slots, does that mean no materia?

super mario all star shuffle sounds interesting, katana zero =O will there be a sequell anytime soon?

mega man 64...interesting... arceus could be interesting, neon white is probably interesting if you have any idea whats going on, and maybe il take a peak in Bomberman 64: the Second Attack.

Some actually suprizing picls, like dust or pokemon myterie dungeon.

uh, FF7 no slots, does that mean no materia?
No, it means Cait Sith's Slots Limit Break is banned. It has an incredibly small chance of getting a result that will insta-kill anything, even if it's usually immune to Death, but it's possible to manipulate it, and it can trivialise a lot of the run.

No, it means Cait Sith's Slots Limit Break is banned. It has an incredibly small chance of getting a result that will insta-kill anything, even if it's usually immune to Death, but it's possible to manipulate it, and it can trivialise a lot of the run.
oh, thx! did not know that you can manipulate it...but then again, there are so many bugs and exploits with the old FF games, that i should not be suprized.
I mean, its not as bad as with pokemon... but balanced and bug free where not the core aspects of jrpgs back then xD

I watched the Cuphead run earlier today which was a lot of fun. They make it look so easy lol. Hoping to watch Bomberman Second Attack in the early morning.

Nintendo Life has a solid guide of some (especially Nintendo focused) highlights for this week, along with how to donate and see older videos.

Nintendo Life's Guide to AGDQ 2023

At the end of February, AGDQ will have another weeklong event called Frost Fatales, focused on femme speed runners. The schedule is already up for that.

Frost Fatales 2023 Schedule

And for Monday so far, my favorite Speedrun I caught was Skate! It was a very chill lunch break.

Bloody hell!!! A new Any% world record for Super Mario Galaxy 2!! During a race!! During a marathon stream! Done live!!

Absolutely insane!! Jhay is a legend!!

That was crazy! I can't believe they got a world record in a mario game on stream. That has to be quite a competitive game! Definitely worth watching, Jhay won by a pretty good amount, but a 4 way race that was pretty close considering the length.

Listening to Speck talk about how he wants to go into gender-affirming care because of his experiences and friends within the Sonic speedrunning community, while still largely acing this speedrun, honestly nearly brought me to tears. What a guy!

Mario Kart 8 is coming up!

Edit: they also just hit a million bucks raised!

Watching Beautiful Katamari; I wonder if the chaos of the game makes it easier or more difficult to memorize. Lots of potential memorable "scenes" but maybe there are too many unusual scenes everywhere? It seems overwhelming to me, despite loving the game casually.

This has been another awesome event as always. I think my favorite runs so far were the Mario Kart 8 DLC run that I put my donation toward and Powerwash Simulator. There’s something just super amusing about six people hosing down those vehicles and then also dealing with getting in each others way with the game being finicky. Today I really enjoyed the Mario All-Stars shuffler where they randomly bounced between playing five different games. Excited I should be able to tune into the last three runs tomorrow, Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario.

Enjoyed the end of the marthon! Zelda LTTP and Mario 3 were especially a lot of fun today!

Unapologetically Black and Fast was this past weekend. The runs are up on YouTube now:

Frost Fatales is coming up in a few weeks too!

The commentary on this Pokemon Scarlet run is extremely funny. Best Pokemon jokes on the internet right here.

Back
Top Bottom