• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Netflix Series (Disappointment) Thread

Book One was...okay, I guess. We all know the flaws, so I'll just mention that one of the things I actually found myself enjoying was Daniel Dae Kim's Ozai performance, and just the the show's take on the character as a who. He's still an abusive and manipulative father, but it's been tweaked to where it feels like he does love Zuko and Azula and legitimately believes that the best way to make sure they reach their full potential is to treat them like this. It's a interesting version of the character that gives everything he does its own intriguing emotional weight that I might actually like more than the cartoon's more cut-and-dry villainous overlord. Maybe? Having a more human Ozai in play who isn't as self-serving with everything he does means I'm wondering how the rest of the royal family will have their arcs changed as a result, and how those arcs resolve in Books 2 and 3 might affect my stance. But for now I vibe.

so I'll just mention that one of the things I actually found myself enjoying was Daniel Dae Kim's Ozai performance,
Oh, yes! I agree with you. I was waiting for him to give a more aggressive performance of the Fire Lord, and he did so when they did the flashback of the Agni Kai. I also like how they're giving some depth to the character, and the more screen time he gets isn't just for the sake of it.

Having a more human Ozai in play who isn't as self-serving with everything he does means I'm wondering how the rest of the royal family will have their arcs changed as a result,
I'm VERY curious what they'll do with Zuko's mother's ark.

I also honestly wouldn't surprise me if we got a mini live action series with that plot point

Back
Top Bottom