• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Avatar: The Last Airbender |ST| Water, Earth, Fire, Air, Fan & Sword

D

Deleted member 678

Avatar: The Last Airbender Official Thread

Avatar: The Last Airbender (A:TLA) is a critically acclaimed animated series created by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko for Nickelodeon Animation Studio. The franchise continues to expand with additional animated series, films, comics, novels, and games. The world of Avatar: The Last Airbender consists of four nations- Air Nomads, Water Tribe, Earth Kingdom, and Fire Nation which are inspired by various Asian and Indigenous cultures from Earth. Within each nation, certain people known as "benders" are born with the ability to manipulate one particular element- Air, Water, Earth, or Fire- through martial arts. The Avatar is the only person who can bend all four elements and is dutybound to uphold peace and harmony throughout the world.

ANIMATION

916-Xi-NKSc6-L.jpg

Avatar: The Last Airbender (2005-2008)
For 100 years, the Fire Nation has waged a war of imperial conquest against the other nations. The Air Nomads have all been wiped out while the Water Tribe and Earth Kingdom continue to lose ground. Katara and Sokka, two young members of the Southern Water Tribe, discover Avatar Aang stuck in stasis within an iceberg and free him. They join the avatar on his journey to master all four elements and defeat the Fire Lord.

SeasonEpisodes
Book One: Water20
Book Two: Earth20
Book Three: Fire21

914v-FP1erl-L.jpg

The Legend of Korra (2012-2014)
A sequel set 70 years after the events of A:TLA. Raised in isolation for most of her life, Avatar Korra travels to the bustling Republic City to master the element of air. Avatar Korra must face a new threat each season to bring balance to a rapidly changing world.

SeasonEpisodes
Book One: Air12
Book Two: Spirits14
Book Three: Change13
Book Four: Balance13

Untitled Avatar Aang film (2025)
This will be the first animated film produced by the newly formed Avatar Studios. It will feature Avatar Aang and is set after the events of the first series. The first installment will be released in theaters on 10 October 2025.

Untitled Sequel Series (2025)
A series set after the events of The Legend of Korra featuring the Earth avatar is in development.

Untitled Zuko film (2026)
A film primarily focused on Zuko is in development.

COMICS
The comics are an official continuation set during and after the events of both shows.

TitleRelease date(s)Episode OrderAvailable editions
The Promise201262Paperback (3), paperback omnibus, hardcover omnibus
The Search201363Paperback (3), paperback omnibus, hardcover omnibus
The Rift201464Paperback (3), paperback omnibus, hardcover omnibus
Smoke and Shadow2015-201665Paperback (3), paperback omnibus, hardcover omnibus
North and South2016-201766Paperback (3), paperback omnibus, hardcover omnibus
Imbalance2018-201967Paperback (3), paperback omnibus, hardcover omnibus
Katara and the Pirate's Silver202029.5Paperback (1)
Toph Beifong's Metalbending Academy202164.5Paperback (1)
Suki, Alone202136.5Paperback (1)
Azula in the Spirit Temple202365.5Paperback (1)
The Bounty Hunter and The Tea Brewer2024TBDPaperback (1)

The Legend of Korra

TitleRelease DatesEpisode OrderAvailable Editions
Turf Wars2017-201853Paperback (3), paperback omibus, hardcover omnibus
Ruins of the Empire2019-202054Paperback (3), paperback omibus, hardcover omnibus

The various one-shots are available in the following collections:

NOVELS

dc08e9df-2226-42c1-95ac-3a45b0fa140a-CR0-0-970-300-PT0-SX970-V1.jpg

The Rise of Kyoshi (2019) & The Shadow of Kyoshi (2020) by F.C. Yee
Avatar Kyoshi rises above her humble origins and proves she is the one, true avatar.

The Dawn of Yangchen (2022) & The Legacy of Yangchen (2023) by F.C. Yee
Uncertain of who to trust, Avatar Yangchen must use every tool at her disposal to unravel a conspiracy involving a mysterious and incredibly powerful new weapon.

The Reckoning of Roku (2024) by Randy Ribay
Avatar Roku joins forces with Monk Gyatso and Prince Sozin to prevent the Earth Kingdom from seizing control of a remote Fire Nation island.

LIVE ACTION

[REDACTED]

There is no live-action film in Ba Sing Se.

Avatar: The Last Airbender (2024)
Produced by Netflix, the live-action series serves as a retelling of the original story of Avatar: The Last Airbender. The first season covers the plot of the original Book One and consists of 8 hour-long episodes. It has been renewed for 2 additional seasons.

OTHER MEDIA

ATLA+Webimage+Fixed.jpg

I didn't know there was an animated film and sequel series coming so soon. Hopefully it's at least as good as The Legend of Korra.

i really wish netflix would've adapted one of the comics or books into live-action rather than just remaking the original series. obviously that would've been a less sure-fire way for them to capture a new audience, but i think it would've been better than directly comparing it to something we already have an on-screen version of. alas, that may still happen at some point, i'm just surprised it's been so long and it still hasn't.

I hope this is the year we get more official info on the projects being created by Avatar Studios.

but I really want an animated Avatar Kyoshi project more than anything.

I'd plausibly be interested in an Earthbender series based on "modern" tech, but part of me feels like they're just gonna keep chasing the lighting in a bottle that was ATLA with diminishing returns. Maybe I'll be wrong.

i really wish netflix would've adapted one of the comics or books into live-action rather than just remaking the original series. obviously that would've been a less sure-fire way for them to capture a new audience, but i think it would've been better than directly comparing it to something we already have an on-screen version of. alas, that may still happen at some point, i'm just surprised it's been so long and it still hasn't.

I think the novels would be great to adapt in live-action or an original story set in the world.

I did not know Zuko was getting a movie. Color me surprise and hopefully it answers the questions about you know who

And maybe see if they add depth to Ozai character, like they did in the live action.

Just rewatched Avatar. It's as great as I remembered. Korra next! Excited for the future installments.

Bought the novels for my brother as a birthday present a while back, but have yet to read them myself. I hope I do enjoy them once I finally get around to it, though. There's bits and pieces I enjoy about the comics, The Legend of Korra, and the Netflix live-action adaptation -- specific characters, moments/plot beats, and some general ideas/concepts -- but there are a lot of caveats for each that bring those respective works down to just good at best and disappointing at worst, trapped in various tiers below the Nickelodeon show. The worry that upcoming film and third animated series will similarly feel me with mixed emotions about the quality keeps me from being excited for them, tbh.

For those interested, here's the script for the pilot episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender

The Avatar: The Last Airbender comics are now being released on Webtoon starting with The Promise:

I recently watched the Netflix adaptation and overall, my impressions of the movie were mixed. While I appreciate the effort to bring this beloved story to life in a new format, I can't escape the feeling that it falls short of the magic that mesmerized me as a child. Perhaps it's the nostalgia factor, or maybe the original series just had a better balance of action, humor, and emotional depth. I watched the series on the https://123movies.graphics/ platform (perhaps this might be helpful to you). They have a great app for Android and it's very convenient to watch! Although the series did not find a place in my heart and soul, I do not regret that I spent my time on it.

Last edited:
or maybe the original series just had a better balance of action, humor, and emotional depth.
I think it's this. The original showrunners left the Netflix adaption and are now very busy with Avatar Studios. There's also the liberties the show took, like Ozai. While I think Netflix's Ozai is an awesome character, by giving him more presence and interactions, it was a bit hard to adapt to at first. Netflix's Ozai has more presence this time around, and you can actually see he's a father raising his children to live in a war torn world, and not some asshole.

Back
Top Bottom