• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Avatar bet: Demise will or will not be featured in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Was Demise a one-time occurrence or will he return in TotK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fine I’ll take this one! Put me on team he’s not in.

I think it’s possible, but I’m still gonna go with not in.

That being said, this being the first mainline depiction of Ganondorf we’ve gotten since Demise’s introduction into the series makes me wonder if they’ll overtly give Ganondorf some of his traits, as the trailer hinted. It’ll be interesting

Here's a little bump back to page 1 for people to remind them joining the avatar bet is still possible until the 20th! (hope that's allowed)

Don't hesitate now!

If that was Demise in the screenshot, there’s 0 chance they would’ve shown him in the trailer.

If that was Demise in the screenshot, there’s 0 chance they would’ve shown him in the trailer.

Well... Unless they predicted this figure would create a massive hot topic to discuss.

I mean, to me it isn't so special that Demise would be in but damn... There's more to it than just that.

Well... Unless they predicted this figure would create a massive hot topic to discuss.

I mean, to me it isn't so special that Demise would be in but damn... There's more to it than just that.

They showed ganondorf (after 17 years) in the same trailer, I stand by my 0% chance stance :)

There's a lot leading me to think TotK, the last game in the timeline, will turn out to be a prequel to Skyward Sword, the first game in the timeline. The Ouroboros imagery, the flying islands, the Skyward Sword re-release...
Also, Demise is a weird character in that he's cited as the source of the evil, and then never re-appears in the series ever again.

So while I still think it's a bit of a leap to predict anything at this point... dang it, count me in.

I think Demise will be acknowledged in cutscenes in battles with Hylia (Ganon's at max power resembles Demise etc) but the focus will be on Ganon.

I don't get what Ganondorf "channeling" Demise would accomplish. Ganondorf is powerful enough and has enough agency on his own for that to be uninteresting to me, and I'm a big fan of Skyward Sword.

Given that the answer will be considered a spoiler upon release regardless of which way it goes, how is the avatar bet portion going to be handled? I imagine some won't enjoy walking advertisements as to whether Demise is/isn't in the game.

I don't get what Ganondorf "channeling" Demise would accomplish. Ganondorf is powerful enough and has enough agency on his own for that to be uninteresting to me, and I'm a big fan of Skyward Sword.

Given that the answer will be considered a spoiler upon release regardless of which way it goes, how is the avatar bet portion going to be handled? I imagine some won't enjoy walking advertisements as to whether Demise is/isn't in the game.

I haven't thought about that at all, but I can think of 3 things right now:

- We delay the date you'll have to wear the avatar of shame to somewhere in the future.

- Instead of an avatar bet I hold the bet purely for the fun of it without any consequences whatsoever.

- Instead of an avatar bet I keep note of all the participants and hold more bets in the future and the winner will win something like an eshop card.

I'll think about it some more but let me know if there are any better ideas!

"The last remnants of Demise are decaying slowly within the sword. Someone must stay behind to watch over this blade. His spirit must not reawaken. He must never be allowed to threaten the world again. This is the nature of the task given to my tribe." -Impa, Skyward Sword

The text of Skyward Sword says that Demise's soul is burned away inside the Master Sword during the thousands of years that pass between the final battle in the past and the final ending in the present; he's not in there anymore. He doesn't even exist, so he's not going to pop out from inside the sword once it breaks

Now I'm not saying he can't be in there, and I'm not joining in the bet because I'm not sure. They could ignore the text of Skyward Sword if they wanted to. But the text of that game says Demise is really super dead and gone for real

Though I suppose that part of TOTK could be set so far in the past that we're participating in the war between Demise and Hylia

I don't think he'll be back in TotK: There's only place for one big bad guy, using more is detrimental. By using 2 big baddies you don't get "double" the danger, instead each baddie feels less threatening as they´re now not capable of being a worthy threat on their own. In previous Zelda games there was one bad guy who acted at the service of the big baddie (Grahim-Demise, Agahnim-Ganon, Zant-Ganon), there has never been a relation of them being equal in power. The "henchman" posed a threat for much of the game until the big reveal where the real bad guy was exposed and the stakes went up, usually at the end of the game. However this comes at the expense of making the previous bad guy a smaller threat. Ganon is too good a villain, Nintendo can't do that and put Demise as the real bad guy behind it all as that would demote Ganon into henchman status. And by their sheer nature, they can't be presented as equals either, story-wise it makes no sense as, if I remember Skyward Sword correctly, Ganon is sort of the reincarnation of Demise, in a similar way to how Zelda is Hylia and Link is the reincarnation of the goddess' Hero.

It's like how each of Spiderman's villain is a serious threat capable of putting up a good fight on their own, but when you put them in a team their capabilities get diluted the more members you add to the team. The Sinister Six should be able to kill him in a minute; instead they are rarely more dangerous than anything Norman Osborn or Doctor Octopus can come up with on their own.

I don't think he'll be back in TotK: There's only place for one big bad guy, using more is detrimental. By using 2 big baddies you don't get "double" the danger, instead each baddie feels less threatening as they´re now not capable of being a worthy threat on their own. In previous Zelda games there was one bad guy who acted at the service of the big baddie (Grahim-Demise, Agahnim-Ganon, Zant-Ganon), there has never been a relation of them being equal in power. The "henchman" posed a threat for much of the game until the big reveal where the real bad guy was exposed and the stakes went up, usually at the end of the game. However this comes at the expense of making the previous bad guy a smaller threat. Ganon is too good a villain, Nintendo can't do that and put Demise as the real bad guy behind it all as that would demote Ganon into henchman status. And by their sheer nature, they can't be presented as equals either, story-wise it makes no sense as, if I remember Skyward Sword correctly, Ganon is sort of the reincarnation of Demise, in a similar way to how Zelda is Hylia and Link is the reincarnation of the goddess' Hero.

It's like how each of Spiderman's villain is a serious threat capable of putting up a good fight on their own, but when you put them in a team their capabilities get diluted the more members you add to the team. The Sinister Six should be able to kill him in a minute; instead they are rarely more dangerous than anything Norman Osborn or Doctor Octopus can come up with on their own.
This post made me think about how I do hope Ganondorf has some other human henchmen in this game.

I’d love to see Koume & Kotake/Twinrova brought back. They were a big part of the Gerudo part of OoT and now that the Gerudo are back and modernized, they should come along too!

Isn't Demise just the original incarnation of Ganon/Ganondorf? In that case I would say there's no reason for that form to appear when you already have Ganondorf. He's there in spirit.

Isn't Demise just the original incarnation of Ganon/Ganondorf? In that case I would say there's no reason for that form to appear when you already have Ganondorf. He's there in spirit.
That's my understanding. Demise was the embodiment of the concepts of malice and hatred and that body was utterly destroyed. In its last instant, Demise bestows a curse on Zelda, Link and their descendants and locks them in an eternal battle with the future embodiments of malice. Ganondorf has been this embodiment since Ocarina of Time. Now, except if Ganondorf somehow escapes the curse or malice is somehow forced out of him, it doesn't make sense for Ganondorf and Demise to co-exist.

Last edited:
I think the curse goes on without Ganondorf but Demise as we saw him in SS is not returning. The clip we see of someone standing in front of the Blood Moon originally looked like someone else but I noticed the scales. I think it’s just Ganondorf again but taking on more of Demise’s influence.

If it IS Demise, that means the two other people are Hylia and who is meant to be the original Hero who is left on the ground before Hylia sends the Hylians skyward. And then the closed timeline loop theory might be back in play.

Idk. I don’t think it’s him.

Neither Ganondorf nor Demise make any appearance whatsoever in the art book, so there is no advantage.
Which is crazy, no? Like why isn’t Ganondorf in the artbook when he’s arguably one of the most intrinsic components of the narrative? Unless we didn’t get to see the full book

Which is crazy, no? Like why isn’t Ganondorf in the artbook when he’s arguably one of the most intrinsic components of the narrative? Unless we didn’t get to see the full book
Artbooks that come with video game special editions typically don't cover everything. It's usually so they have something to help sell the full release to special edition buyers, but sometimes things get left out because they'd be spoilers.

(Which I would argue Ganondorf stuff would fall under, but I haven't seen the leaks myself so I don't know how spoilery the artbook gets.)

Artbooks that come with video game special editions typically don't cover everything. It's usually so they have something to help sell the full release to special edition buyers, but sometimes things get left out because they'd be spoilers.

(Which I would argue Ganondorf stuff would fall under, but I haven't seen the leaks myself so I don't know how spoilery the artbook gets.)
I’ve seen every single available page and it has exceptional detail on almost every single NPC / costume / fauna / beast - but not a single picture of Ganondorf. It’s bizarre

I’ve seen every single available page and it has exceptional detail on almost every single NPC / costume / fauna / beast - but not a single picture of Ganondorf. It’s bizarre
I mean even in the trailer we just saw, none of the bosses are in the art book lol. There’s a lot it doesn’t include I’m assuming

I mean even in the trailer we just saw, none of the bosses are in the art book lol. There’s a lot it doesn’t include I’m assuming
But isn’t that just the strangest thing ever? Why would the official artbook not contain major characters? I have to assume we haven’t seen the full thing

But isn’t that just the strangest thing ever? Why would the official artbook not contain major characters? I have to assume we haven’t seen the full thing
Don’t view it as a comprehensive art book like creating a champion, it’s a mere bonus for the collector’s edition.

BotW’s came with an OST that had like 20 tracks. The full OST had well over 100 probably.

Don’t view it as a comprehensive art book like creating a champion, it’s a mere bonus for the collector’s edition.

BotW’s came with an OST that had like 20 tracks. The full OST had well over 100 probably.
This, plus I'm almost thinking that in the case the artbook did leak (as it did), they made it so it couldn't spoil anything too poignant about the game.

I haven't finished the game 100% yet, so no spoilers... but do we have a definitive answer on this?

(I'm pretty sure I lost this bet lol)

I haven't finished the game 100% yet, so no spoilers... but do we have a definitive answer on this?

(I'm pretty sure I lost this bet lol)
I would assume that to the spirit of the bet, anyone who thought Demise would show up lost. The only reference is the one we knew about before launch, that Ganondorf's demon king form was clearly inspired by Demise.

I would assume that to the spirit of the bet, anyone who thought Demise would show up lost. The only reference is the one we knew about before launch, that Ganondorf's demon king form was clearly inspired by Demise.
Considering Ganondorf himself inspired Demise's design I wouldn't even say that much is clear.

Also

victory gloat

Still playing the game, but so far I'd assume there is no Demise... But I'm saving most of the story for after I explored the rest of the game to the fullest 😁

Back
Top Bottom