• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration announced, coming to Switch, Playstation, Xbox, PC and Atari VCS later this year

Does what the trailer says about Atari defining what a video game is stand up? I think there were other influential game makers and home systems around too, right?

Here is some more context. Looks like it’s an interactive timeline first and then the games are part of that. So you go through the history and then experience the games. Think that’s a cool way to do this type of thing. I’m sure you can just play them if you want, but like this idea for games that largely don’t hold up to modern standards.

Would be neat if they included stuff from the new Recharged line and Tempest 4000. All of which are surprisingly fantastic.

I had a Lynx. It was actually a really cool handheld and had a small but good library of games. It was pretty much the only good system Atari put out. Sure, 2600 had some classics that were well made, but compared to Intelivision or Colecovision, it sucked ass hard.

Here is some more context. Looks like it’s an interactive timeline first and then the games are part of that. So you go through the history and then experience the games. Think that’s a cool way to do this type of thing. I’m sure you can just play them if you want, but like this idea for games that largely don’t hold up to modern standards.

This is genuinely really cool, I'm now looking forward to this.

Does what the trailer says about Atari defining what a video game is stand up? I think there were other influential game makers and home systems around too, right?
Kind of? It was a very popular home console with a wide selection of games. They were just kind of, I don't know, disposable? They were nice little experiences. I think the NES did much more to define video games as they are today; immersive entertainment with a mechanical depth such that you can play and replay seemingly endlessly.

I wasn't expecting to like this, but it looks like a hell of a package. That timeline concept looks very cool!

This looks a phenomenal way to execute an anniversary celebration concept! That being said, ALWAYS the awful Atari consoles lineup (mostly) instead of the legit greatness of their arcade games, sigh

Yes in a way. It did for gaming what NES did for gaming. You are right about other consoles which were superior - Intellivision and especially, Colecovision, but those came out in 1980 and 1982. Atari came out in 1977 and it was a catridge based system that did not rely on TV overlays, or built in games only, and had various controllers to plug in, etc, and tried to do arcade conversions. Prior cart based system was very simplistic.

Plus, while it had a TON of shovelware, it introduced to home video games some real good games that went away from arcade style, such as Pit Fall and Adventure, and hell, Indiana Jones was a point and click adventure game that needed both controllers to play (inventory management).

And it did have some cool original shooters, like Yars and River Raid, etc.

It got outclassed by Intelivision and Colecovision pretty hard, but Atari had enough of a head start and cultural cache for breaking ground. Atari's problem - well one of - was that technology was moving so rapidly compared to the present and yet they rode the 2600 way past the due date, and they had a successor in 1982 (5200) which they did not support very well and it was still not as good as Coleco and came late to the party. On top of that, no backwards compatibility and no showcase games, as most were "enhanced" ports of 2600 games.

By the time they had the 7800 in 1986, it was already outclassed by the Sega Master System, the NES, and the PC Engine which released just one year later in 1987.

By the time they had the 7800 in 1986, it was already outclassed by the Sega Master System, the NES, and the PC Engine which released just one year later in 1987.
The horrible joystick that got sold with the 7800 didn't help either. God that thing was horrible. Plus, I always felt 7800 really wasn't that big of a leap coming from the 2600.

The horrible joystick that got sold with the 7800 didn't help either. God that thing was horrible. Plus, I always felt 7800 really wasn't that big of a leap coming from the 2600.
Sure wasn't. Especially when you saw what Master System was doing, and then PC Engine. Hell, even the NES which was less impressive than Master System and PC Engine had more ambitious better looking games than the 7800 in 1986 with Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Brothers.

I had a Lynx. It was actually a really cool handheld and had a small but good library of games. It was pretty much the only good system Atari put out. Sure, 2600 had some classics that were well made, but compared to Intelivision or Colecovision, it sucked ass hard.
Jaguar was good but it launched to late if it launched in say 90-91 it could have had more success.

the list of games added
  • Adventure II (homebrew) 2600
  • Bowling 2600
  • Double Dunk 2600
  • Maze Craze 2600
  • Miniature Golf 2600
  • MotoRodeo 2600
  • Aquaventure (prototype) 2600
  • Save Mary (prototype) 2600
  • Super Football 2600
  • Return to Haunted House (homebrew) 2600
  • Circus Atari 2600
  • Warbirds Lynx
it's almost entirely commonly re-released titles, unfortunately (the base collection at least had 4 2600 games that surprisingly weren't included in any other compilation.)

Warbirds is interesting at least, it was actually included (at least on physical Switch copies) at launch. but the Day 1 patch removed it due to last minute legal issues.

Back
Top Bottom