• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club As of January 9th 2024, Ocarina of Time 3D is now the age that Ocarina of Time was when it released.

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time was released for Nintendo 64 in Japan on November 21, 1998.

Then 4590 days later, Ocarina of Time 3D was released for Nintendo 3DS on June 16, 2011.

June 16 2011 was exactly 4590 days ago.

Anyway have fun with that factoid. We’re all old.

This wasn't welcome news in the tweet posted in the General Discussion thread, and it's not welcome news in its own thread. Stop making me feel old Derachi!

What you think Zelda was 10 years ago

zelda-ww-33.jpg

What Zelda actually was 10 years ago
900x.jpg

I've been playing the PC port with 3DS textures and character models

It's great, like a GameCube remake that never was

The sheer hybris of tagging this "funclub". This is targeted bullying of your elders >_>

No.

What? No!

That surprises me because I would have thought the gap between 3D and now was much longer. Thanks for making me feel young OP that’s bussin ya bet not sus no cap iykyk yeet

That surprises me because I would have thought the gap between 3D and now was much longer. Thanks for making me feel young OP that’s bussin ya bet not sus no cap iykyk yeet
I feel like I’m having a stroke

More than anything this reminds me how LONG these generations have been.

In 10 years we went from GBC to 3DS, but we've only come one generation since for... Reasons.

I think even more shocking, GBC was the flagship handheld briefly in 2001, three and a half years later this would be DS, jumping from souped up NES to souped up N64 in the snap of the fingers.

Here’s something that’ll blow your mind. The NES/Famicom came out originally in 1983. Just 18 years later, we got the GCN.

We're now approaching 23 years (in November 2024 I know, but bare with me) since the GCN came out. As a young kid in the 90s, the eras from NES to GCN were jaw dropping, and massive. But 23 years later going from GCN to Switch? Doesn’t feel quite the same.

I might change my tune a bit if NG Switch comes out this year though, and we get PS4/Pro levels of graphics in a Nintendo system. That might soften the blow a bit.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time was released for Nintendo 64 in Japan on November 21, 1998.

Then 4590 days later, Ocarina of Time 3D was released for Nintendo 3DS on June 16, 2011.

June 16 2011 was exactly 4590 days ago.

Anyway have fun with that factoid. We’re all old.
i feel a fossil, knowing that I played both Ocarina of Time

I think even more shocking, GBC was the flagship handheld briefly in 2001, three and a half years later this would be DS, jumping from souped up NES to souped up N64 in the snap of the fingers.
powerfuldirtybeaver-size_restricted.gif

Funnily enough, despite being born in the 90s I never had OOT as a kid and the 3DS version was the first one I played!

I mean honestly this doesn't make me feel old tbh, the gap between now and OOT3D feels identical to the way the gap between then and OOT on the N64 felt back then. Times quick when you're not paying attention to it.

....It's been almost 10 years since Link Between Worlds, right?

We really are about due for another new singleplayer 2D Zelda

Earlier today one of my best friends, who is younger than me, said she's been dying her hair for years because if she didn't it would show a significant proportion of grey.

Oh also two other friends (yes, also younger than me) have kids who are in high school this year.

That's all on-topic for this thread, right?

not Nintendo but on a similar enough note, the PS2 is now older than the Atari 2600 was when the former launched 🀭

I've been playing the PC port with 3DS textures and character models

It's great, like a GameCube remake that never was

This looks awesome! How do you do that? I have tje original 3ds game but my eyes can’t stand that low resolution anymore

Mods, i want to report a thread that attack me on an age topic. (Remembers how he was already in his teens when OoT N64 came out)

Earlier today one of my best friends, who is younger than me, said she's been dying her hair for years because if she didn't it would show a significant proportion of grey.

Oh also two other friends (yes, also younger than me) have kids who are in high school this year.

That's all on-topic for this thread, right?

You should see my beard. There's more grey/white than other color. I'm pretty sure i have a few grey hair on the head too, but since i'm naturally (dark) blonde, it's harder to see them there until they reach the point of being the majority.

(Though i do turn 40 in less than 2 months...)

Good lord... I remember being in my 2nd year of college playing OOT 3D and thinking the OG N64 game was ancient at the time.
OOT 3D feels like a much shorter time ago.

Wild how much time perception distorts ad you get older.

This looks awesome! How do you do that? I have tje original 3ds game but my eyes can’t stand that low resolution anymore
Follow the instructions for your device here: https://www.shipofharkinian.com/
Mod links:
Alternative texture pack: https://github.com/GhostlyDark/OoT-Reloaded-SoH

Result:
image.png

image.png

image.png

I think the 3DS version is a fantastic rendition of OoT - but it is very much designed for the constraints of that handheld with its 240p 3.5 inch screen. Dark scenes are brightened, the FOV is narrowed, and cutscenes and areas are reframed to emphasize the 3D effect. Running that game in Citra really emphasizes the 'handheld' nature of it. I think playing with these mods is a nice balance of getting the original home console direction with the wonderful authentic 3DS assets.

Funny enough, I feel like OG OoT has stood the test of time better than OoT3D.

Granted, it might be due to its portaibility making the experience not as grand. But there's this physicality and weight to the movements and attacks of OG OoT that feels so satisfying that OoT3D didn't quite capture.

I generally prefer the aesthetics of the original game; the colours, the contrast, the music (I'm one of those 1.0 likers), even little things like the blood

....But tilt controls for the first-person weapons was pretty great

Back
Top Bottom