• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Apple "Unleashed" Event - October 18th @ 10am PST - Max Macs & AirPods Announced!

Beyond mixing the two sizes where are you seeing this? I see prices start at 2k and 2.5k respectively.
Woah. I messed that up twice. That's what I get for updating this while working. I had it right by size the first time - 14 inch was $1,999 and 16 inch was $2,499. I fat fingered the 1 to a 2. I'm going to go commit sudoku.

Woah. I messed that up twice. That's what I get for updating this while working. I had it right by size the first time - 14 inch was $1,999 and 16 inch was $2,499. I fat fingered the 1 to a 2. I'm going to go commit sudoku.
You're all good. I was just like if you can get those prices you need to hook us all up! LOL

As it stands ugh. The old MBP M1 was kinda a waste over the Air. The new MBPs are great with all the features, but the price is double an Air. I kinda wish I could get something between the two models to upgrade my old 2019 MBP that I'm typing on right now.

@VHS I'd love to hear what you end up ordering!
oh nothing, if I get one of these it will be through my work. My home PCs are explicitly for gaming and plex servers both of which apple is not great for. For work though I'd enjoy one of these but my work is still giving out the intel macs I think.

Wow, they look exactly what I want from a pro laptop, but boy are they expensive. Time to see if I can convince work to buy me one!

The new HomePod mini colours are cool, but something I would go for. The AirPods updates are cool too, but I’ll wait another year or so until new Pros come out - I want the noise cancelling.

Personally I don’t see the point in the Apple Music voice subscription - are there really that many people who are invested enough in the Apple ecosystem (I guess it’s mainly aimed at HomePod users?) who would only use Apple Music work their voice?

Personally I don’t see the point in the Apple Music voice subscription - are there really that many people who are invested enough in the Apple ecosystem (I guess it’s mainly aimed at HomePod users?) who would only use Apple Music work their voice?
I think this was an attempt at a lower entry cost to compete with other platforms and nothing more than that. They had to hold back something so the people who pay $9.99/month don't downgrade.

I think this was an attempt at a lower entry cost to compete with other platforms and nothing more than that. They had to hold back something so the people who pay $9.99/month don't downgrade.
Yeah that makes sense, I just don't know how many people are willing to only interact with Apple Music via Siri.

Everyone gets Monterey next week! So there is that!

Looking forward to that, though really it's just another reason I have to upgrade to an M1 machine, as a few of the features are M1 only...

The new magsafe charger is magsafe on one end and USB C on the other, great change.

eeu0zMc.png

Low tier for music would be great for a small business who just puts on a playlist and goes about there day if they want to play music for their establishment.

Quoted by: VHS
Low tier for music would be great for a small business who just puts on a playlist and goes about there day if they want to play music for their establishment.
I thought that was actually illegal? Like you need to pay a big licensing fee if you want to play music like that in public and the recording studios will send out listeners to catch people breaking it.

I bought an M1 MacBook Pro earlier this year, going to stick with it. Not really a fan of the new design of the MBP. Plus $1999, ouch.

12 hours later that Notch still has me rolling

Can't wait to see it on the apple watch series 8!

I’m not planning on picking up any MacBook from today’s presentation but my goodness the specs are impressive. Those M1X Pro and M1 Max chips are no joke. The prices in Canada are really high, but all things considered you’re getting a machine that will be reliable for a number of years so it’s well worth it.

That notch is disgusting. Can't believe they thought that was a good idea. Did they forget that plenty of applications display menu bar items there or the fact people use full screen apps (thus the menu bar is hidden)?

That notch is disgusting. Can't believe they thought that was a good idea. Did they forget that plenty of applications display menu bar items there or the fact people use full screen apps (thus the menu bar is hidden)?
It's certainly an odd decision...I think it'll probably be something you quickly ignore though? At least that's what I found with the iPhone's notch.

I'm interested to see exactly how it works in those scenarios. From a personal point of view I don't use any programs that have so many menu bar items that they would begin to be hidden by the notch so that won't be a problem for me, but it could be a problem in some programs. I was also wondering what would happen when you use a full screen app - I kind of assumed that the menu bar is always up there on the new machines (so it no longer disappears when an app goes full screen), but I've not seen anything to confirm that.

The notch is located in an extra area above the 16:10 display, so it should not interfere with full-screen apps.

Count me in the I-want-one-but-wow-that's-a-lot-of-money camp. It's just about everything I liked about the pre-USB-C era MacBook Pros and current era in one machine, plus some extra goodies sprinkled in. It's only missing Boot Camp compatibility - but it really isn't Apple's fault Microsoft made a deal with Qualcomm for Windows on ARM.

On the topic of bootcamp, what’s windows emulation (I.e. VMs with Parallels or similar) like on M1? It’s not very often I need to use windows, but I’d like to have the option if possible.

Quoted by: VHS
severely limited due to ARM architecture.

To be honest that’s about as good as I was expecting haha. Doesn’t look like it’s worth using, but it’s not a deal breaker for me - as I said, I only need to use Windows very occasionally.

I was hoping for an iMac Pro. I think I'm done with laptops now that my iPad has become go to mobile computer.

That last part is not really a concern here, full screen apps don't go up into the area with the notch. So for the 14" MBP, fullscreen apps are basically the size they are on a 13" MBP.

The notch is definitely an eyesore, hopefully its put to actual use in the future with face ID however because as of now its ugly and doesn't have a function.

I can sell my current Macbook and get an M1 Air and profit or at least break even (not the case with the Macbook Pro)... but there's rumors of a 2022 Air now? Can't keep up.

So did anybody else order one of these or was it just me? What do shipping times look like for everybody?
Not me but two friends ordered them — one ordered very quickly and is getting it very soon. The other has to wait a couple weeks. Right now the window starts at 11/12!

I might get the base 14" MBP soon if I can get enough money for my 16" on eBay.

the notch was a huge invitation for a style refresh: a white text on true black (or as close to it as the new displays can get) menu bar

very frustrated that they didn't walk through the design door that was wide open

Getting the M1 Macbook Pro for Christmas, after trading in my current 2019 Pro. I swear there was an option to pick up from my local Apple Store a few days ago but we're back to December ~5th delivery dates. Guessing I should get one earlier rather than closer to Christmas.

After ordering an hour after the keynote ended, it finally arrived yesterday! I am absolutely in love. Aside from the screen being top-tier, it tears through Lightroom better than even my custom built desktop from last year.

They keyboard is also improved over the M1 MacBook Air. Not quite a mechanical, but it has almost a Cherry Brown like feedback.

Anyone with the 13 mini here… how are you liking it? Battery life?

TL;DW: Excellent colour gamut & accuracy, great HDR with minimal blooming, but horrible motion response and clarity more alike a 60hz display.

Finally ordered my base M1 Macbook Pro! Trade-in of my 2019 16 inch took ~3-4 weeks but better late than never. Technically it's a Christmas gift though so will have to wait a bit to actually use it. Very excited :)

Back
Top Bottom