• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Apple "Unleashed" Event - October 18th @ 10am PST - Max Macs & AirPods Announced!

Waluijob

Embracer of the Wah
Pronouns
He/His
Apple has just announced their "Unleashed" Event for Monday, Octotber 18th at 10am PST.

You can watch it live on YouTube:

This event is expected to be the announcement of redesigned 14" and 16" MacBook Pros with an M1X chip and diversified IO including HDMI out and a MagSafe power connector. Also expected is a 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD standard and Mini LED 120hz display. macOS Monterrey's launch date is also expected to be revealed - timed with the release of the new MBPs.

Another possibility from leakers is the announcement of AirPods 3.

ANNOUNCEMENTS BELOW

New low-cost Apple Music "Voice" plan - $4.99

f1634576758.jpg

New HomePod mini colors:
f1634576857.jpg

NEW AIRPODS - $179:
ucEVODj.png

M1 Pro Chip:
f1634577587.jpg

M1 Max Chip:
f1634577856.jpg
14 & 16 inch re-designed MacBook Pros with HDMI, MagSafe, SD card slot, return of function keys and a notch:
f1634578318.jpg

Screens have support for ProMotion(120hz refresh rate) and are miniLED.
14 inch starts at $1,999
16 inch starts at $2,499

macOS Monterey launches October 25th
macos-monterey.jpg

Links to Product Pages:
AirPods 3rd Generation
HomePod mini
MacBook Pro
macOS Monterey

Last edited:
Hoping this fixes the monitor issue for M1 macs, a major stumbling block for developer adoption.

Hoping this fixes the monitor issue for M1 macs, a major stumbling block for developer adoption.
By monitor issues do you mean the two monitor limit that allows for only one external on everything but the Mac Mini?

Quoted by: VHS
By monitor issues do you mean the two monitor limit that allows for only one external on everything but the Mac Mini?
Yep, I know you can do some annoying juggling with dongles but no one wants to do that. If these do perform as well as claimed though I would love to switch to one for my work computer, that thing runs so loud and hot.

Looking forward to it. Don’t need a new laptop even though my Mac Book Pro is over 3 years old now. Maybe I can get my job to get me one.

Yep, I know you can do some annoying juggling with dongles but no one wants to do that. If these do perform as well as claimed though I would love to switch to one for my work computer, that thing runs so loud and hot.
If they’re going to the trouble of including HDMI and expanding base storage/RAM on a more pro-focused machine, I really hope they do fix this to draw in the professionals. Thankfully, it doesn’t impede my daily workflow, but I have programmer friends that I know it would.

I don’t use more than 2 displays for any device and if the screen is as good as claimed, it should meet my needs for graphic/color proofing for print in addition to a larger screen for spreadsheet/actual design work, but I’m always happy to have more monitors.

Doubt there will be many surprises here, but I’m hoping for a beefed up Apple silicon laptop - my (Intel) MacBook Air is starting to struggle with the work I’m trying to get it to do, so it’s looking like it might be time for an upgrade.

Looking forward to seeing these although I still might opt for the next Air instead, depends a little on the price.

If they’re going to the trouble of including HDMI and expanding base storage/RAM on a more pro-focused machine, I really hope they do fix this to draw in the professionals. Thankfully, it doesn’t impede my daily workflow, but I have programmer friends that I know it would.

I don’t use more than 2 displays for any device and if the screen is as good as claimed, it should meet my needs for graphic/color proofing for print in addition to a larger screen for spreadsheet/actual design work, but I’m always happy to have more monitors.
Yeah I use three monitors at the moment and would not want to downgrade. Very interested in these though for sure

I really want an M1 Air and I don't think I would need something like a MBP but I'm interested in what Apple has to show. An update for Airpods would be pretty cool.

I really want an M1 Air and I don't think I would need something like a MBP but I'm interested in what Apple has to show. An update for Airpods would be pretty cool.
I’m holding out for new AirPods Pro (and have been for the last year or so!). Sadly I think I’m going to have to wait till early next year for them, but here’s hoping they’re announced sooner!

I’m holding out for new AirPods Pro (and have been for the last year or so!). Sadly I think I’m going to have to wait till early next year for them, but here’s hoping they’re announced sooner!
My AirPods Pro are holding up pretty ok, but they’ve developed some issues - mainly a buzzing when something loud happens (like closing a car door or hitting something with a hammer), and I feel like the noise canceling isn’t as great as it used to be. But for something I use probably six to eight hours a day EVERY SINGLE DAY for going on eighteen months now, they’ve been incredible. I’d definitely upgrade if new Pros are announced.

Yeah I use three monitors at the moment and would not want to downgrade. Very interested in these though for sure
I hope for you and my friends impacted by this that they expand display compatibility. Hopefully it was just a first gen compromise.

I'm pretty excited for this. I have a 2019 16 inch Macbook Pro that is definitely too much computer for me — I rarely use it outside of web browsing. I'm hoping I can sell it and upgrade to a smaller M1. I could do that with the current Air but why not see what's out today.

I’ve been thinking about switching to Mac completely so this comes at a great time.

27 minutes to go and I am looking forward to being a broke, broke boy.

I really don't want to believe that a notched laptop is real, but Apple does like to do wild stuff. What sucks is when they do something like that and then it catches on with the rest of the industry. The ports sound like a big upgrade though. All from rumors of course.

Low cost Apple Music "Voice" plan starting at $4.99 without lyrics/music videos or lossless/spatial audio.

they really went with M1 MAX... omg :LOL: these names are absurd Apple

I plan on getting a 32GB/1TB M1 Pro 14". My guess is $2,499 for that spec.

Wish apple would give real data, instead of vague "relative performance". Show us it running games, davinci, etc. Things we can test here and now

And given Apples history with vulnerabilities I would not trust any of these security claims on their face.

I'm a pretty big Mac fan, but I'm not really in a position to buy more hardware right now. They seem to be selling the specs pretty hard, though.

Continuously updating the OP with all of the stills from the stream and the announcements as an FYI.

goodbye touchbar, that thing was awful

would use this if my work gave me one, that notch is so ugly though

goodbye touchbar, that thing was awful

would use this if my work gave me one, that notch is so ugly though
I don't mind it. It goes where the menu bar is, it's not taking away valuable real estate.

so M1 pro gets 2 displays, M1 Max gets 4 displays. Weird limitation

I don't mind it. It goes where the menu bar is, it's not taking away valuable real estate.
just really ugly

Think they know it too, "it looks great in dark mode" yep when its hidden

so M1 pro gets 2 displays, M1 Max gets 4 displays. Weird limitation

just really ugly
I told you this earlier, bud! It looked like a physical limitation of their display driver on the CPU core.

Oh damn, Pro Motion and miniLED!

M1 Pro & Max sound good, but probably going to be real expensive. Hoping there's a SKU that uses the Pro at least on Mac Mini.

I told you this earlier, bud! It looked like a physical limitation of their display driver on the CPU core.

Oh damn, Pro Motion and miniLED!
I mean if they make the CPU custom in house they should try and address it. At least they can finally do 2 external displays though the minimum for me :p

I mean if they make the CPU custom in house they should try and address it. At least they can finally do 2 external displays though the minimum for me :p
It's an easy way of differentiating and upselling - definitely intentional.

$1,999 - 14 inch
$2,499 - 16 inch

Order today, available next week

I'm going to commit sudoku for messing this up twice.

Last edited:
why is the big one cheaper???
Because I'm a dummy and wrote the prices backwards. Trying to spec my machine out right now. I was off by $100 on my assumption - a 32GB/1TB machine(with base M1 Pro) is $2,599. I'm also debating upgrading to the max M1 Pro since I plan on having this machine for at least 3-5 years.

they look pretty good but the price is just too much for me

These M1 MacBooks are so awesome, I really want one but I still have an intel MacBook Air from a couple years ago that works completely perfectly and satisfies all my dev needs. So I have no reason to upgrade other than just wanting the new shiny thing lol. I also told my wife I would get her a new iPad, and since she’s 7 months pregnant her toys take precedence over mine 😛 One day I’ll get my hands on one of the M1 macbooks, maybe I can convince my job to upgrade my touchbar MBP.

Are there any software devs here? I’m wondering how M1 works out for software development, if there are still any gaps or anything. Like I know Docker was an issue at first but I think that’s all resolved now.

Because I'm a dummy and wrote the prices backwards. Trying to spec my machine out right now. I was off by $100 on my assumption - a 32GB/1TB machine(with base M1 Pro) is $2,599. I'm also debating upgrading to the max M1 Pro since I plan on having this machine for at least 3-5 years.
ahh okay. They're certainly an enticing product

The base 14 inch MacBook Pro, with no upgrades, seems perfect for me. I'm going to try to get close to $2k on eBay for my 2019 16 inch but I think the prices for Intel Macs will go down dramatically.

Apple is offering ~$1300 as a trade-in but I don't have $700-800 laying around.

I went maxed out M1 Pro with 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. I am now broke. I only upgraded as much as I did because I had my $500 Apple DTK credit.

Screen_Shot_2021-10-18_at_2.27.21_PM.png

Back
Top Bottom