• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy |ST| Good Apollo I'm Burning Stars, Vol. 4-6

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
AAST1.png

AAST0.png

AAST2.png

AAST3.png

AAST4.png

AAST5.png

AAST6.png

AAST7.png

AAST8.png

AAST9.png

AAST10.png

AAST11.png

__

All right, Fami, let's Object!

The Dark Age of The Law is upon us...

Apollo Justice isn't my fave in the series, but not as bad as its reputation. I should finally finish 5 and 6.

Great ST! I know these don’t have quite the reputation that the original trilogy does, but I’m excited to dive into them nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing how some of my favorite characters developed in the intervening years!

I already own all these games on my DS/3DS and aren't buying the collection, just here to give love to the C&C ST title!
For all those playing for the first time, have fun! And good luck with Dual Destinies lmao
skye-snacks%28c%29.gif

So excited for all the first time players to find out we are, in fact, in the dark age of the law.

And great job on the ST!

I had completely forgotten about this one.

I guess it's time to jump in.

EDIT: Just saw the price, and I'll have to wait for a discount down the line, sadly.

Last edited:
Excited to play AA6 for the first time!

Not as excited to replay DD lmao

I've only seen YouTube playthroughs of DD, and nothing of it really spoke to me the same way that the original trilogy and Apollo has done. But I never played SoJ, so that will be interesting, since I think it has a much more intriguing premise.

Can we make a petition to have the Gavin brothers return in AA7? ;~;

Ja.

Big advice: For first time players and also the others, play the DLC/Special case of Dual Destinies right after the second case in that game, it works wonderfully that way.

As for Spirit of Justice’s DLC, that one can be played as last.

I got to the last case of AA6 and never finished it. I want to support this, but I also don't want to play through the whole thing again or dig out my 3DS. Completely forgot about the DLC cases though so that'll be nice when I do eventually get around to this.

Started this up yesterday and played a bit today, feels really good to be back in AA. All the sound effects and even the dialogue sound just brings me back to high school where I would sneakily steal my partner’s DS (we were supposed to play them together) because I was so hooked. One time, I even played so intensely that the DS ran out of batteries.

I’m looking forward to Turnabout Serenade, (third case IIRC) that twist was brilliant.

Started this up yesterday and played a bit today, feels really good to be back in AA. All the sound effects and even the dialogue sound just brings me back to high school where I would sneakily steal my partner’s DS (we were supposed to play them together) because I was so hooked. One time, I even played so intensely that the DS ran out of batteries.

I’m looking forward to Turnabout Serenade, (third case IIRC) that twist was brilliant.
Romein Letousse still makes me laugh a bit as a name hahahaha

Excellent ST! The Coheed & Cambria nods had me like leopointing.gif.

Started AA4 yesterday and man, I missed this game. I know it was contentious at the time but I have a soft spot for it.

AA4 is a gem, it's leagues above DD, it was the last main series games by Takumi and it shows. The game is a wonderfully executed soft reboot, bringing a crew of both old and new loveable characters, setting an unique darker tone of its own, and setting up things perfectly for the next installments as a fresh start for the series... Until DD threw it all in the trash and now the series feel bloated and stuck.

AA4 is a gem, it's leagues above DD, it was the last main series games by Takumi and it shows. The game is a wonderfully executed soft reboot, bringing a crew of both old and new loveable characters, setting an unique darker tone of its own, and setting up things perfectly for the next installments as a fresh start for the series... Until DD threw it all in the trash and now the series feel bloated and stuck.
Definitely agreed! I have some issues with AA4 but overall it's such a thematically coherent game that feels almost uncanny in a very intentional way (and the different music direction only adds to it, AA4 might be my favorite Ace Attorney OST). I think it nails its direction in a way that neither 5 nor 6 really managed. 5 tried to go hard on the Dark Age but flanderized that concept to the point of absurdity, though I think 6 got close thematically even if it stumbled in places.

I do really hope for the next Ace Attorney to be something new again (like TGAA) but I think Capcom (rightfully?) believes that the games need Phoenix as a headliner to sell, so we will see.

I agree, AA4 has an amazing theme and aesthetic, it nails the soft reboot very well! I just wish it had better cases, they bring the game down.
4-1 is the only exceptionally great case in the game.
4-2 is one of the worst cases in the series, terrible pacing and just boring.
4-3 is decent, a bit overhated my opinion. But the pacing is too bloated and it has an really obvious logical inconsistency with the gun caliber and the frail 14 year old.
4-4 is good, but it suffers majorly from the mason system and Phoenix taking up too much of the case. Apollo doesn't even get a good final pursuit confrontation against Kirstoph.

Despite AA5 making some bad choices from a series structure standpoint, undoing a lot of the groundwork AA4 left, I think it's the better game purely because the cases are a lot stronger.

Yeah, AA4 is often criticized as a game that has a protagonist, but nothing is explored about him.

I bought a Switch copy and is in route to me but won't be replaying these again

enjoy, errbody

just praying for that Athena game 🙏

I'll accept an Athena game if they finally address that certainly brothers plot point that needs closure.

I'll even accept a DLC case.

Which honestly wouldn't surprise me:
  • Athen gets her full game;
  • Apollo gets a DLC case

Just curious as someone who played through the Phoenix Wright trilogy but didn't touch any of these three, how good are they compared to the originals?
They're good, the original trilogy is better, but not a tons of miles better. They're good to play and experience. You'll notice differences because:
  • Apollo Justice has a different protagonist and set of new characters;
  • Dual Destinies is the start of the series where Shu Takumi stopped being writter;
  • DD is also the transition to 3D renders instead of sprites;

Just curious as someone who played through the Phoenix Wright trilogy but didn't touch any of these three, how good are they compared to the originals?
To me both trilogies have a mid game that manage to have one truly great case, an overall great game, and a peak fiction game.

The Apollo trilogy has the biggest low, tho even then I still find it fun and would replay it any day of the week, but also has highs that eclipse the ones in the original trilogy.

Here is how I rank the AA games

Top tier: Trials & Tribulations, Investigations 2, and Great 2

High Tier: Phoenix Wright, Dual Destinies

Mid Tier: Justice for All, Spirit of Justice

Low Tier: Apollo Justice, Investigations 1, Great 1

Tragedy Tier: Vs Layton

The above are my overall thoughts, that said even the low tier games have some amazing cases, and games in the high tier have some bad cases.

I love an album that sounds like the gang named it while watching Battlestar Galactica in a k-hole

re: the actual game, excited / bracing to finally play these!

Also, I watched the launch trailer yesterday and two things stood out to me:

1) They really showed off Maya in the beginning, right after Apollo and Phoenix, but threw Athena in at the end, huh? I love Maya but she's also just in one of the games.

2)
Them showing Klavier in DD is so funny given how he barely has a presence in that case. They really wanna make these games seem more connected than they actually are, huh?

Also random question, I recall when SOJ came out that people mentioned Phoenix's model and animation fidelity being upgraded over DD (and presumably other characters, too). Did this backport those improvements to DD?

If you go into AJ knowing it's not a Phoenix Wright game and the tone is very different, I think you will appreciate it for what it is and have a great time. It's more grounded than the og trilogy, there is less supernatural stuff involved (if any) and it has almost a noir feeling to it. It also builds an intriguing narrative throughout the four cases that make the whole thing feel exciting, even if each case isn't as strong individually.

DD on the other hand tries to backpedal into being a Phoenix Wright game again and the result is just a convoluted mess. It has lots of characters showing up just for fan service, while contributing nothing to the plot, and entire trial sequences that lead nowhere and are dropped as soon as the next chapter starts (something Shu Takumi's elegant writing would never allow, I don't think). Oh, it also stripped the investigation sections out of all its flavor, since you can't inspect stuff just for the fun dialogue anymore, only things that are relevant to the case can be inspected. It feels like a souless game to me, there is no clear intention in it aside from the devs just had to make a new AA game that featured Phoenix as the main character again, so they came up with the best they could.

I haven't played SoJ yet because DD turned me off completely from the series, but that was years ago and I think I'm read to jump back now. This one is divisive, some say it's one of the best in the franchise, some say it's just as bad as DD.

Last edited:
Also random question, I recall when SOJ came out that people mentioned Phoenix's model and animation fidelity being upgraded over DD (and presumably other characters, too). Did this backport those improvements to DD?
Going by the animation studio they didn't for the models, at least.

I didn't do a thorough check on the animations though, and there's been a bunch of touch ups here and there (Ben Judd's voice clips for Phoenix were replaced with Sam Riegel's in AJ, for instance) so I wouldn't be shocked if some were updated anyway.

I feel like they’re a pretty noticeable step down from the originals and the Great Ace Attorney Duology. AJ has the best dialogue, character writing, and the strongest theming of this trilogy but the actual case writing can be quite lacklustre. Meanwhile DD and especially SoJ are a lot better when it comes to the cases, but the character writing is a big step down and the stakes get absurdly high to the point it detracts from the games.

I think they’re all still good games and enjoyed them, I wouldn’t call any Ace Attorney game bad. But how much you like each individual one depends on what you enjoy most about Ace Attorney. DD and SoJ in particular feel pretty different from the Phoenix Wright Trilogy.

I'm glad this collection exists, as I hold AA4-6 in a much more positive light than most Ace Attorney fans. In particular, I don't think the original Apollo Justice gets enough credit: while case 3 suffers from some issues, the other cases are all genuinely interesting, and the way the overarching mystery regarding Phoenix being disbarred plays out is very good. Plus the music is top-tier, especially the allegro Cross Examination theme.

It seems genuine care was put into the overall presentation for this collection - it looks very slick, and much improved over the original Trilogy - and it's great to see Capcom acknowledge the Ace Attorney fandom with the Animation Studio. Alas, I'm not in the mood matrix to replay these games yet, but I will certainly pick this up when I am.

To me both trilogies have a mid game that manage to have one truly great case, an overall great game, and a peak fiction game.

The Apollo trilogy has the biggest low, tho even then I still find it fun and would replay it any day of the week, but also has highs that eclipse the ones in the original trilogy.
And you can stop being wrong because AA2 is peak. Case 1 and 2 are PEAK. The circus is NOT THAT BAD.

So over the weekend I finished up AA4. Honestly still really enjoy that game, despite some rough edges in the last case.

Started DD and playing it right after AA4, I can definitely tell something just kinda feels a little... off. I'm still enjoying it, mind you, but it lacks a certain charm. I think when I first played it, I was just happy to have an AA game again so I was more forgiving of it. I'm looking forward to seeing how much my opinion on it will change this time.

Seeing in reviews that apparently the aspect ratio in AJ is cropped, is it noticeable? Bummer that they couldn’t keep it the same

Seeing in reviews that apparently the aspect ratio in AJ is cropped, is it noticeable? Bummer that they couldn’t keep it the same
Quite frankly I didn't notice much at all until it was pointed out to me. It's not a huge deal imo.

So over the weekend I finished up AA4. Honestly still really enjoy that game, despite some rough edges in the last case.

Started DD and playing it right after AA4, I can definitely tell something just kinda feels a little... off. I'm still enjoying it, mind you, but it lacks a certain charm. I think when I first played it, I was just happy to have an AA game again so I was more forgiving of it. I'm looking forward to seeing how much my opinion on it will change this time.
It’s the first AA game that didn’t have Takumi, so it could be that

The bigger problem with Apollo Justice is the sprite resolution in handheld mode. I assume something’s not rendering them properly at 720p, because they do not look correct.

Played the og trilogy, GAA, and ghost trick last year and after after beating AJ, AA4 is easily the worst of these listed

My copy is in the mail! Glad I could grab one, they seem very limited. So happy to have AA 1-6 + TGAA 1-2 in physical media <3

Because I played Apollo Justice about 5 years ago, I went straight into DD and SOJ which I never played before. Some thoughts:

SOJ just felt more exciting of a game to play even if there were some....questionable pacing decisions and story choices with some characters I wasn't a fan of. DD felt all over the place for me. I loved some cases, really wasn't a fan of others.

When it comes to characters, Nahyuta just wasn't it for me. He's alright at the end of the day, but probably the weakest prosecutor in the main series for me. However, Blackquill is definitely my favorite, even over Edgeworth, and the big twist at the end of DD (You know the one concerning you know who) had me and my fiancee in a daze xD.

Music was also fantastic. Not much to say. I'm not into many Capcom franchises outside of DMC, Megaman (Battle Network/Star Force) and Ace Attorney, but I've definitely noticed the music having a similar beat and tone to Megaman RPG's.....which I will never complain about.

Overall, I still really liked the Apollo trilogy, but its not as clean cut as the Phoenix trilogy. That saying, SOJ is in my top 3 of the mainline series.

Also, love Athena. She kicks ass and I'd love a game or so focusing mainly on her. She needs more time to shine.

Back
Top Bottom