• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Another Code: Recollection | Review Thread

mazi

picross pundit
Metacritic (72)
OpenCritic (74)

Nintenderos (9/10, review in Spanish):
Another Code: Recollection is a full-fledged remake of two classic mystery games that doesn't just update their graphics or puzzles, but also creates a new story that stays true to what we loved about the originals, while making them better.

Atomix (85/100, review in Spanish):
Quite striking is the fact that they have glued the two stories together so that everything feels more organic in terms of Ashley's adventure, and that is something that people will surely appreciate. Although yes, the absence of an option to start the game from the second part or a specific chapter is slightly frustrating.

Areajugones (8.2/10, review in Spanish):
Another Code: Recollection is an excellent video game full of improvements and with a ton of mystery, and it will please even those who already played the originals. It has kind of a slow start, but it doesn't take too long for the game to get back on its feet, thus giving a second chance to an IP that had long been forgotten.

VGC (4/5):
So much more than a simple remaster, Another Code: Recollection completely rebuilds both games from scratch, making it a brand new experience not only for newcomers, but long-time fans of the series too. With beautiful environments, endearing characters and a hint system that means players of all skill levels can reach the end, only a lack of replay value stops this from being a complete must-have.

Siliconera (8/10):
Another Code: Recollection doesn’t make huge changes to the overall formula of the games, as they’re still very introductory and in one case short adventures. However, these Switch remakes look fantastic and are quite impressive in terms of how well they adapt the titles. If someone is looking for games with solid stories or is looking for a first adventure game for someone, this collection is a good fit.

God is a Geek (8/10):
Another Code: Recollection features two great games in one package, featuring a deep and well-written story, and some excellent puzzles.

Nintendo Insider (8/10):
I’m not sure I’d be able to recommend Another Code: Recollection to people who prefer a higher ratio of puzzle to story in their adventure games, but if you’re fond of visual novels I think this is a solid recommendation. If you have a younger relative looking for something unlike anything currently on the market, I think this would make for an incredible gift. It might just change the way they see the world, and speak to them in a way no other games are capable of.

Wccftech (8/10):
Another Code: Recollection may seem a bit quaint compared to some of the visual novels and narrative adventures that have come along since Cing’s games helped reinvigorate those genres, but there’s an undeniable easygoing charm to these stories, characters, and world. This collection also completely revamps the original games’ puzzles, usually for the better, meaning even Cing veterans are in for a fresh experience. Another Code: Recollection may not break much new ground, but it satisfyingly evokes memories of a simpler time.

GAMINGbible (8/10):
My time with Ashley has been complicated, her family’s history filled with twists and turns, yet I’m sad to see it come to an end. As wonderful as it is to have answers to the questions that dogged me when the adventure first started, to see the credits roll is bittersweet. I don’t know if I’ll ever board a boat back to Another Code: Recollection now the shroud of mystery has lifted, but I’ll always be glad I took a chance and set out for Blood Edward Island.

Hobby Consolas (80/100, review in Spanish):
Without being a perfect compilation, Another Code: Recollection updates two memorable adventures that fans of the genre in the strict sense of the word will like, one of those in which exploration and puzzles are the protagonists, although at times it almost seems more of a novel visual.

Spaziogames (7.5/10, review in Italian):
Another Code: Recollection is a smart and well-made revival for the beloved series that be believed was long forgotten by Nintendo: we are happy to know that it wasn't and that new players and long-time fans alike can now enjoy these two games on their Nintendo Switch.

Nintenduo (75/100, review in Spanish):
Another Code: Recollection brings back Ashley's story with improved visual representation, but leaves the puzzles behind. It loses the essence of Another Code to give the series a more cinematic touch and turns this compilation into almost a visual novel.

Everyeye.it (7.5/10, review in Italian):
Ultimately, Another Code Recollection is a product that brings with it two authentic classics from the past, until now lost in the folds of time. The two graphic adventures developed by the now defunct Cing, despite no longer being able to rely on the gameplay ideas introduced by the original versions, are still confirmed today as notable exponents of the genre, especially in the case of the first chapter. The new technical sector and a series of features from a playful and narrative perspective make this re-edition a valid way to (re)discover the story of Ashley Mizuki Robbins.

GAMES.CH (73%, review in German):
If you want to experience the two Another Code games in a more or less completely new manner, the Recollection is a great opportunity for doing that. But new puzzles, cutscenes or voiceover can't hide that Another Code Recollection does not look and feel like a high value current game production.

Budgetgaming.nl (3.5/5, review in Dutch):
Another Code: Recollection puts a unique spin on the original DS and Wii games from several years ago. With modifications to the story, puzzles and gameplay, it offers both new and returning players a fresh puzzle experience. Unfortunately, due to the Switch's lack of unique features, it still feels a little less unique than the original games. Nonetheless, it's nice to see Nintendo showing some love for the somewhat lesser-known series in their library in this way.

Shacknews (7/10):
Between the middling voice acting undermining the story, the barely-there puzzles, and the sterility of the visuals, it feels like the magic of adventure games on Nintendo’s older, gimmicky hardware hasn’t been recaptured. But I still had a great time taking it all in. Weird, huh? That’s what being a history nerd feels like.

WellPlayed (7/10):
Another Code: Recollection is a solid repackage of two classic adventure titles that manages to celebrate the Cing games despite some lacklustre puzzles and clumsy camera controls.

TheSixthAxis (7/10):
The work that has gone into bringing Another Code: Two Memories and its sequel to Switch is impressive, giving us a pair of enthralling adventures to follow. The DAS is an excellent little gadget, and the characters and overall story are excellently written and charming, but the short length of this collection and lack of activities outside the investigating result in a somewhat one-note affair. Another Code: Recollection is a decent little package, but you might be left wanting if you have played the original releases.

Nintendo Life (7/10):
Another Code: Recollection's biggest addition to the original DS and Wii experiences, besides the slick new graphics and fully explorable 3D environs, is its all-new navigation and puzzle aids. With the obtuse nature of some puzzles now a triviality - should you find yourself stumped - there's now no difficulty spikes or annoying moments to hold you back from a two-part tale that's very much worth diving into for fans of slow-burn point-and-click titles. Their pacing could have done with some more work, but this collection is as good a return to Ashley's world as fans could have hoped for.

CGMagazine (7/10):
While not the most challenging puzzle game, ANOTHER Code: Recollection is an engaging enough experience for anyone interested in this unique Nintendo time capsule.

Destructoid (7/10):
Despite my apathy, I still admire the earnestness on display here. Another Code: Recollection exists because someone really cares for the original titles, and it shows. The two games that make up the collection were niche to begin with, so it takes a certain passion to completely overhaul them to make them presentable to a new audience. This passion shines through the production. So, while Another Code: Recollection didn’t really do much for me, I hope that it finds an audience, whether it’s newcomers to the series or fans of the old.

Digital Trends (3.5/5):
Another Code: Recollection left me with a lasting impression that's sure to keep my memory of the lost series alive.

Comicbook.com (3.5/5):
Another Code: Recollection is a welcome addition to the Nintendo Switch library. The puzzles can get frustrating at times, and the gameplay won't be for everyone; I highly recommend those on the fence check out the game's free demo. Despite these flaws, the story and characters make it a worthwhile purchase for fans of the genre. It's great to see Nintendo giving such an unusual pair of games this type of treatment, rather than leaving them abandoned on their original hardware.

Vandal (7/10, review in Spanish):
Another Code: Recollection is a fantastic job of renewing two games that are almost 20 years old to turn them into an adventure that could well have been released in 2024: the three-dimensional reconstruction of the settings, the detail of the environments (especially the interiors), the new character design and the sound rerecording transform it into a modern game. The structure and rhythm of the two adventures remains almost intact, except for the puzzles that have had to be adapted to Switch controls, for better and for worse. Two Memories is a less important title today than it was in its day, but it is still recommended for anyone who likes a good mystery story with teenage themes and who doesn't mind that the puzzles are not challenging. However, Beyond Memory is failing. Even though Recollection tries to present the two as an inseparable whole, the Wii game remains what it was: an unfocused, poorly told, and unnecessary extension of Ashley's story. A title that, after watching the end credits, leaves a somewhat sour taste in the mouth.

PC Games (7/10, review in German):
A game that sometimes leaves you perplexed by some bizarre decisions, but is developed with so much love that you can hardly be mad at it.

Press Start (6.5/10):
Another Code: Recollection breathes new life into a dormant series by creating a cohesive narrative in a remake with updated visuals. While some great effort has gone into modernising the games from a presentation standpoint, some of the creative liberties taken and frustrating motion-controlled puzzles will no doubt leave fans longing for a more faithful recreation.

Gamereactor UK (6/10):
As things are, I'd only recommend this to lovers of the originals for nostalgia and fan service alone, and with a couple of caveats at that. If you're looking for way more intricate and engaging anime stories dealing with the mind, you have a great alternative in the two AI: The Somnium Files games on the same platform. That being said, I now can't help but wanting CiNG's own Kyle Hyde saga (Hotel Dusk and Last Window) to get the Switch HD treatment, just with a bit more care and polish.

My Nintendo News (6/10):
Another Code: Recollection does a good job at bringing the duology to the Switch, and there is an excellent level of consistency in the quality of the two titles, with the updated visuals and gameplay providing a cohesive experience. The additional voice acting breathes new life into the story which, although it may be too slowly paced for some, is nonetheless emotional and heartfelt. However, the decision to combine both games into a single narrative experience seems counterproductive when there is a clear transition between them, and the quality of life changes made don’t quite do enough to disguise the ageing gameplay mechanics. These weaker elements, such as the awkward camera angles and mandatory motion controls, often offset the enjoyment to be gained from the narrative, making this an experience that won’t appeal to everyone. Another Code: Recollection is an experience players will definitely remember, but this may not always be for the right reasons.

Checkpoint Gaming (5.5/10):
Remaking an older series that never got much limelight is always a good thing, and Another Code: Recollection has gone above and beyond updating its look and feel for the modern day. The problem is that those updates have removed everything that made the original games unique, and have re-invented the story in a way that is not to its benefit. It might still be a nice time if you're in the mood for something simple and slow-paced, but it's certainly no replacement for the originals.

Metro GameCentral (5/10):
One of the strangest remakes of all time, given the amount of effort and care that’s been put into such obscure adventure games that, in all honesty, don’t deserve the attention.

Last edited:
ABRa2ig.jpg

The Checkpoint Gaming review is interesting. They changed the story of the originals for the worse? That's disappointing to hear!
I wonder what they actually changed about the story. I hope there are users here who can give me more information on this.

The Checkpoint Gaming review is interesting. They changed the story of the originals for the worse? That's disappointing to hear!

Considering the reviewer admits to have never played the originals, I think this is a very odd inclusion for the review tbh.

Predictable outcome for an adventure game unfortunately; already floating around where FDC ended up landing. One of those genres that many journalists simply don't care about and will mark down for being what they are.

These lines from the Metro UK review are just utterly bizzare but emblematic of an attitude i've seen plenty of in recent years:

Even if they only published the games, it’s interesting to see such relatively mature-themed titles from Nintendo. However, given the problems, and how expensive this compilation is, it’s very difficult to recommend to anyone that doesn’t already know them. The price is fully justified in terms of the amount of work that’s gone into it, since Two Memories has been reimagined as an almost entirely new game, but with the best will in the world it really doesn’t deserve that level of effort.
One of the strangest remakes of all time, given the amount of effort and care that’s been put into such obscure adventure games that, in all honesty, don’t deserve the attention.

If an obscure series being given another chance troubles you this deeply, do you like, actually care about video games as a medium?

Right around where I expected it to be. Still doesn't look like it's worth the full price for people who already own/played the original though. I was secretly hoping for new stuff to be added.

But I'm still getting this whenever it's €30-40. So happy this exists!

Eurogamer don't have a review up yet, but they do have this lovely reflective feature on the remakes.
Predictable outcome for an adventure game unfortunately; already floating around where FDC ended up landing. One of those genres that many journalists simply don't care about and will mark down for simply being what they are.

These lines from the Metro UK review are just utterly bizzare but emblematic of an attitude i've seen plenty of in recent years:

If an obscure series being given another chance troubles you this deeply, do you like, actually care about video games as a medium?
Yeah I think Metro's review is appalling. Absolutely abysmal, dismissive attitude. Personally I'm really glad Nintendo aren't just sticking to the most obvious re-releases, though I do hope they go further one day and find ways to give us access to things like the Game & Watch line, Satellaview and N64DD content.

I feel like it's very difficult for these types of games to score well

Also fuck that metro review, and people wonder why we don't get more niche stuff from Nintendo with attitudes like that

I don't really mind a few middling reviews, I still plan to pick this up at some point.
Predictable outcome for an adventure game unfortunately; already floating around where FDC ended up landing. One of those genres that many journalists simply don't care about and will mark down for simply being what they are.

These quotes are giving off a "The one thing I don't like about Another Code: Recollection is that it's almost too good (of a remake)" vibe imo.

Yeah. I am not surprise by the overall score, the genre does not have broad appeal. Ill waiting for a couple more scores to add to ST, Ill posted in a bit.

For this type of game, if there's a demo available, play it, and if you like it you're good to go.

Metro UK being bizarrely hostile?

I am shocked.

Edit: 7/10 average is about what I was expecting from the demo. I'll definitely get it at one point, but it's not a priority.

Last edited:
It’s a very unexpected remake project concerning a very obscure series, so it’s bound to have limited appeal. But it seems like a lot of care went into this thing, and it’s an absolute treat for the fans of the titles. If you ask me, that is something worth acknowledging and something to crack a smile for.

So, so happy that these games exist and I can’t wait for tomorrow.

Expected this to be swimming in 7's. Can't wait to pick it up.

That Metro review is certainly a take.

Harsh reviews, but I think it sets the tone for Nintendo this year. Fully expect Luigi's Mansion 2 HD and Peach's Showtime to score in that range
These aren't harsh reviews though? They're mostly 7's, which is the textbook definition of good but not great.

It's interesting how relatively small the spread of reviews is. This game has a low 70s average but the scores are mostly 7s and 8s, but other games with similar averages have a lot of 6s or even 5s.

There's no way LM2 drops a full 14-15 points from the 3DS version.
You sure? That honestly feels like their least inspired release in years, just a very basic port without much bells and whistles.

Another Code is reimagining an old obscure game with totally new graphics on the other hand.

Harsh reviews, but I think it sets the tone for Nintendo this year. Fully expect Luigi's Mansion 2 HD and Peach's Showtime to score in that range
I don't think it'll come out the way you say it would.

I can see why Another Code: Recollection earned 7's after playing demo to completion. The controls are pretty clunky.

However having to go through all that pageantry for a single dialog choice (the process it is pretty slow) is some of the more baffling parts about the game itself, particularly for a game that went through a remake. Big QOL misses here.

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD probably will get roughly the same (mid 8's), even if they add new content and QOL improvements.

Princess Peachtime is an unknown. Looking forward to seeing the reviews for this one. However, it's not going to get 7's because "it sets the tone for Nintendo this year", it has nothing to do with that.

This is coming from someone who isn't too happy with September 2023 Direct considering it's full of remakes and remasters with very few truly new games.

I can see why Another Code: Recollection earned 7's after playing demo to completion. The controls are pretty clunky.

However having to go through all that pageantry for a single dialog choice (the process it is pretty slow) is some of the more baffling parts about the game itself, particularly for a game that went through a remake. Big QOL misses here.

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD probably will get roughly the same (mid 8's), even if they add new content and QOL improvements.

Princess Peachtime is an unknown. Looking forward to seeing the reviews for this one. However, it's not going to get 7's because "it sets the tone for Nintendo this year", it has nothing to do with that.

This is coming from someone who isn't too happy with September 2023 Direct considering it's full of remakes and remasters with very few truly new games.
What about TTYD? It's a highly regarded cult classic but it originally got an 87 in 2004, and remakes tend to score lower than the original.

There's no way LM2 drops a full 14-15 points from the 3DS version.

Luigi's Mansion 2 looks rough, and, considering it's a Mario game, I'm fully expecting it to be full price. Considering that the title includes 'HD', I'm assuming that's the only major selling point. Don't think it'll see added content.

On the other hand, I think Peach's Showtime looks average. Just a prediction based on what I've seen

What about TTYD? It's a highly regarded cult classic but it originally got an 87 in 2004, and remakes tend to score lower than the original.

I think the floor for TTYD is low 80s if it doesn't have any QoL improvements, added content, and it's full price. A lot of the reviewers for Color Splash and Origami King reference classic paper mario in a positive light when comparing those games to the modern ones, so that'll probably skew the scores a bit higher with nostalgia

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I suspect with remakes/remasters in general, it's always going to be a mixed bag. Certain reviewers will penalize just because it's a remake or remaster, others will evaluate the remake/remaster on its own merits. (IMHO the latter is how it should be).

I'm saying Another Code: Recollection (just in my opinion) deserves the 7's (which isn't "bad", just better than "fair"), even if the game is original (not a remake/remaster). The controls and UI/UX has room for improvement.

It's interesting how relatively small the spread of reviews is. This game has a low 70s average but the scores are mostly 7s and 8s, but other games with similar averages have a lot of 6s or even 5s.
I think visual novel style games just attract a different crowd.
The people reviewing them probably aren't much different, and accustomed to what they are getting into, so you have less people letdown from expecting more, and less people overhyping for the sake of it.
Those people probably turned down even reviewing it and there isn't as big of an incentive for publications to cover them if they aren't specialised on the genre.

I wasn't expecting a juggernaut in the MC department. I will still pick this up at some point.

It's been a very long time since I played the original DS game, but from what I do recall of it, a 7/10 average seems fair.

But that Metro review is just alien. What in the world?

Lmao, that Metro review is needlessly hostile. Awful bullshit.

Anyways, I'm really excited to receive my copy tomorrow. It won't replace the original games as this is basically a new game using the same stories, but even then certain story things have changed a lot. But just getting remakes of a niche game that has as much money as it does (despite what some reviews say lol) is already pretty mind-blowing.

Another Code was never gonna be the barometer for Nintendo’s 2024 releases. Only other game I see potentially dipping into this range is Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Reviews are as expected really for this kind of game. And because this is a Nintendo game, some reviewers are reviewing it even if it isn't the genre they like which might bring it down. These kind of games don't normally get many reviews and most of the reviewers are fans of the genre. And on top of that Another Code isn't a series which glows on a gameplay or puzzle department. It's pretty basic point and click stuff. But the games have charm and good characters, athmosphere and story

Joining the chorus in asking what the hell is that Metro review. The MC score doesn't affect me either way, since I already have the game preloaded after greatly enjoying the demo and a score in the 70s still speaks to a good experience, but Metro's take is the oddest of the lower review scores.

It's not like I've never had a "they put all that effort into this???" reaction to a piece of media before myself, but they almost seem to frame it as a negative as opposed to a point in its favor.

How did the change the puzzle games of the first one, based on the DS form factor/hardware feature?

Metro's review is very harsh with that preamble, don't think anybody is interested in being constantly told that the author deems the decision of remaking these games as bizarre.

Reviews are conflicting on whether the stories are the same or not? Anyone have some perspective on that? Also, some say the puzzles are completely new and others seem to indicate they are revised from the DS original. I'm confused by the disconnect.

Reviews are conflicting on whether the stories are the same or not? Anyone have some perspective on that? Also, some say the puzzles are completely new and others seem to indicate they are revised from the DS original. I'm confused by the disconnect.
Can only speak to what I've played of Two Memories so far, but it seems like the stories are only really the same in broad strokes. The biggest plot beats are still there, but even then, quite a few events are re-ordered, others have details altered, and some are removed altogether. As for the puzzles, comparing the two games, I haven't encountered any overlap with those in the original DS release yet, which also contributes to the aforementioned story changes.

Maybe there's less narrative changes and more shared puzzles in regards to A Journey Into Lost Memories, though?

Can only speak to what I've played of Two Memories so far, but it seems like the stories are only really the same in broad strokes. The biggest plot beats are still there, but even then, quite a few events are re-ordered, others have details altered, and some are removed altogether. As for the puzzles, comparing the two games, I haven't encountered any overlap with those in the original DS release yet, which also contributes to the aforementioned story changes.

Maybe there's less narrative changes and more shared puzzles in regards to A Journey Into Lost Memories, though?

Without spoiling anything, A Journey into Lost Memories has a radically different plot after the midway/two-thirds point. Until then, I think some events have been altered, particularly to improve the pacing (contributing to a shorter runtime - which is good, given what I'd heard of the pacing of the original), but it otherwise sets the scene in the same way as the original. I should note I didn't play the original, but I did skim the Wikipedia plot summary and a GameFAQs guide and very quickly noticed Recollection deviated from them substantially. Personally, I do prefer the direction Recollection goes with; it has more emotional payoff, in my view. But Cing fans who played the original may have other thoughts, I suppose.

And for those who want spoilers:

Ryan is dead prior to the events of the sequel here, having died as his father - Judd - attempts to alter his memories to conceal his mother's death using the prototype ANOTHER. He exists as a strange being inside "liquid memory"; only those who had memories of him are supposedly able to sense his presence. He lures Ashley into the ANOTHER - to replace her memories, as in the original - by using the security cameras to temporary alter her perception (and memory).

The game doesn't end with his attempted suicide, as he's already dead. Instead, he simply fades away and passes on upon realising the error of his ways, as Sayoko's RAS - known as the TAS in the original - is able to stop him from "resurrecting" her. Consequently, it seems to be implied that Bill wasn't manipulated by Ryan to kill Sayoko (as explored in Two Memories), at least from what I gathered.

There are more differences I've not mentioned here - I never played the original, after all - but you can see how radically different this is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom