• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Animation around the world |ST| If the drawings are moving, you can talk about it here!

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
Welcome to the official famiboards thread to talk about anything related to animation.

Movies, series, mini-series, web series, official, fan-made, mainstream, indie, 2D, 3D; it doesn't matter, everything is welcomed! No matter where it comes from.

As you problably know, there is already a thread dedicated to anime by @Mandos, so while we can still talk about Japanese produtions here, it won't be the focus this time.

To kick things off, I see no better start than to introduce you to Catsuka, both the site (in french) and the Twitter account (in english). This 24 years old endeavor ran by a single person aims to highlight all kinds of animation projects all around the world, especially the most obscure ones.

Hope you all end up discovering a bunch of cool projects!

I'll make a first post by sharing completely unrelated projects that caught my attention recently.

- Dead Cells : Immortalis - The official adapation of the indie roguelike

- THE GLASSWORKER - The very first 2D animated feature-length film from Pakistan

- Twilight of the gods - By Zack Snyder, animated by the french studio Xilam

-The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Tunes Movie

- Witch bunny - A solo project with gorgeous visuals. Link the creator's patreon if you want to support her.

- RAMSHACKLE - The pilot of an (hopefully) upcoming web series.

- LACKADAISY - The pilot of another animated web serires, but this time the first season is already on the way

Last edited:
This will honestly be a useful thread. I dabble in non-anime, err, animations every now and then, but it's relatively more difficult for me to keep up with news about animation projects outside of Japan, unless they also show up on Netflix or something.

THE GLASSWORKER - The very first 2D animated feature-length film from Pakistan
The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Tunes Movie

I am particularly interested in these ones from the OP.

As for my own recommendation, definitely check out Love, Death and Robots on Netflix. It's an anthology of science-fiction short stories, sporting various animation styles and narrative themes, whether it's pontification on the meaning of existence, the place of humans in this universe, or plain old-fashioned monster butt-kicking.

As for my own recommendation, definitely check out Love, Death and Robots on Netflix.
Yeah it's an amazing series for animation fans in general. You never know what art style or tone you're gonna get, from heart-wrenching stories to stupid humour, it delivers in every direction.

Also forgot to add Vox Machina's third season opening and Scissor Seven season 5 trailer

That Glassworker movie looks fantastic!

Edit: Also, to contribute a bit... have "Mars Express", it's a french animated movie, a bit in the vein of Moebius' work. We have a vaguely Cyberpunk setting without the familiar (and kinda done to death tbh) aestethic. It came out a couple of months ago with unfortunately little to no fanfare, which is really doing it a disservice:

Last edited:
Edit: Also, to contribute a bit... have "Mars Express", it's a french animated movie, a bit in the vein of Moebius' work. We have a vaguely Cyberpunk setting without the familiar (and kinda done to death tbh) aestethic. It came out a couple of months ago with unfortunately little to no fanfare, which is really doing it a disservice:

That was a really cool movie.

Speaking of french productions, Wakfu is getting a season 5! It sure is reassuring to see them being able to greenlight the next installment almost immediately.

【【汐塔 | 云上邮差】原创概念动画短片 1.01 ——“all about Cetus42”】 https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1894y167kr/?share_source=copy_web&vd_source=e133b92ebe2c333f413dac60558e8690

A significant portion of China's young animation creators are heavily influenced by Japanese animation, and one of the studios made a short original animation project, but it's not clear if they'll make a full-length TV in the future.(Copy the second half of the link to open, do not copy the Chinese.)

Thanks for this thread OP! I draw quite a lot as a hobby, and as such, animation is a really big passion of mine. My top two movies of all time (period, not just animation) are Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2, and my top 10 in general is mostly animated as well haha

Lots of great recommendations so far, many of which I haven't heard of, that I will definitely be checking out now. Despite the currently hostile industry conditions, I'm really glad that a sort of revolution in animation has been shining through in recent years. There is no longer this automatic perception that all cartoons are for kids - in fact, tons of specifically adult media is becoming quite common - and topics that never would've been touched in animation before are now getting explored in more profound, mature ways than even many live action shows/movies.

Just as an example, Adventure Time always did touch on some interesting themes even in its initial run, but this is a show that has truly grown up with its audience, and the sequel content we've gotten is honestly the best it's ever been. Fionna and Cake (which is getting a second season, hallelujah) explored adult relationships in complex, nuanced ways that I never expected to see.

Anyway, Steven Universe is probably my favorite western animated show, and in the year of our lord 2024 we have been graced with new artwork depicting updated, older versions of the characters. If this means there is even a 1% chance of us getting a continuation, I will be absolutely ecstatic

new-steven-universe-signing-posters-drawn-by-rebecca-sugar-v0-vkshzizntfuc1.jpeg

Speaking of...

Also, finally some news for the Gumball franchise

Oh shit I didn't even know this got announced, let's fucking gooooo
(And two spinoffs, though I feel like I already vaguely knew about the BMO one)

I don't know if Arcane started the "hand-drawn elements over CGI" thing, but I'm sure glad to see it popping up more now:

Another fun thing about this comparison is that it really highlights the difference stylized rendering can make. I know the top version is unfinished but there's still lighting and shading that are so radically different when finished, not just "higher quality" but different. I don't think I've seen a comparison of the same shot between "regular" shading and stylized techniques.

I don't know if Arcane started the "hand-drawn elements over CGI" thing, but I'm sure glad to see it popping up more now:
That'd be Spider-Verse a few years earlier, which basically changed the entire game
(GOAT superhero movies btw, if Beyond sticks the landing I'm ready to declare them the best movie trilogy period)

An observation I've made in the past and figured would fit well in this thread, 2016 was such a stacked year for animated films. Just look at this lineup, hope we can get another year as peak as this within our lifetime

Your_Name_poster.png
A_Silent_Voice_Film_Poster.jpg
In_This_Corner_of_the_World_poster.jpeg
Zootopia_%28movie_poster%29.jpg
Kubo_and_the_Two_Strings_poster.png
Moana_Teaser_Poster.jpg
Kung_Fu_Panda_3_poster.jpg
The_Red_Turtle.png
MV5BZmJkN2Q4ZmQtOWY0ZC00MjNmLWFiN2ItY2NiNjYxMGQxZWRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjE5MjQ4Nzk@._V1_.jpg

I'm stretching the definition of "animation" with this, but I still want to mention the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared 2022 series. While most of it is puppetry, there are a bunch of animated segments using different styles:

Some random clips if you don't have a lot of time:

Last edited:

The anime POV adaptation of Junji Ito's manga Maelstrom is an anime based on restoring the manga's drawing style in terms of art style.

I'm stretching the definition of "animation" with this, but I still want to mention the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared 2022 series. While most of it is puppetry, there are a bunch of animated segments using different styles:

Some random clips if you don't have a lot of time:

I found these a month or two ago (I think because of a comment on Fami) and good lord they are good

I recommend the mini series Yuki 7 inspired by 90s anime with a PS1 artstyle. Chromosphere's art direction on their projects is top notch.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Animation from outside of Japan...

Have any of you seen Totally Spies? Was it actually any good? It was the girly cartoon when I was growing up and I never watched it for that reason, but now that's exactly the reason I want to watch it. But obviously I don't want to do that if it's bad.

Have any of you seen Totally Spies? Was it actually any good? It was the girly cartoon when I was growing up and I never watched it for that reason, but now that's exactly the reason I want to watch it. But obviously I don't want to do that if it's bad.
It's been a while but it definitely wasn't bad. I don't even remember it as that overtly girly tbh. I mean, yeah, the protagonists are girls and one of them is the kinda cliched "girly girl" but it's mostly an spy-action show featuring 3 colour coded girls, if that makes sense?

It is as cheesy as it looks, but it does have some charm.

Unrelated but we have this new Dreamworks movie:

The talk about Wild Robot reminded me of this very enlightening Q&A with the co-director of Kung Fu Panda 4. It's mostly about KFP4 obviously, but it talks a tiny bit about Wild Robot too (which is why I just remembered it) and offers an extremely revealing glimpse into the inner workings of DreamWorks. Credit to @entut1 for sharing it first

Back
Top Bottom