• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Animal Well Review thread - Switch, PS and PC

beej

Tektite
https://www.metacritic.com/game/animal-well/ 91/100

Nintendo life 10/10
Developer Shared Memory's stated goal is “to craft complete experiences that will be playable long after the world loses its internet connection,” and screen after screen, Animal Well excels in delighting your eyes and giving your brain something to stew on. It’s a riposte against a culture of post-launch updates in favour of a meticulously crafted, singular vision with potentially years’ worth of discoveries baked in. By all indications, Animal Well delivers on that long-term promise and does so with a one-of-a-kind elegance.

Gamespot 9/10

Animal Well delights with its non-traditional approach to Metroidvanias, combining unique items with a reactive and surreal world that's full of surprises.

Pushsquare 8/10

Animal Well is an extremely rewarding game — if you're willing to lose yourself in it. The sort of mysteries it's hiding go well beyond finding collectibles, giving you a rich and detailed world to unpack. If you have the patience and the curiosity, it's absolutely worth plumbing its depths.

Eurogamer 5/5

I often fall in love with games, but Animal Well is slightly different. I'm astonished by it. Astonished by the ease with which it presents its ideas, the joy these ideas bring, and the sheer range of magical stuff it includes, all clipped together in such a satisfying manner. And fittingly, for a game about wells, I am astonished by how deep it all goes.

Checkpoint Gaming 8.5 / 10.0

Uncover secrets, evade dangers, and embark on an eerie journey in ANIMAL WELL. Billy Basso has crafted a dark neon aesthetic and enigmatic gameplay that delivers a Metroidvania unlike many others. The mystery and cryptic puzzles won't be for everyone, but those who enjoy a challenge and a good platformer will be rewarded with a haunting adventure.

I was kinda glancing at this one because I like Search Action games (and Dunkey lol), but I guess the raving reviews sell this one as a genuine masterpiece. I think I’ll pick this up.

Wonder if this’ll be the indie darling of the year (assuming Silksong still doesn’t release this year and steal its thunder)?

They deserve every 9-10 score just for having scanline filter over pixel art graphics. Filters always make such games easy on the eyes and I'm very grateful that the devs implemented it perfectly.

The moment I heard "Outer Wilds" in relation to this game I immediately put it on my shortlist. Hopefully I can get it within the next week or so

They deserve every 9-10 score just for having scanline filter over pixel art graphics. Filters always make such games easy on the eyes and I'm very grateful that the devs implemented it perfectly.
the dev even made sure it runs cleanly at 240p on CRTs:

it's clear a lot of care was put into the visuals, it's all built in a custom engine and renderer which I think is very cool and rare these days. and the filesize is tiny as a result

Sigh... * open wallet *
I just bought a bunch of games... but this is looking right up my alley. Just plopping you down into a weird world of wonders. Gah! It's going on the shortlist, at the very least. It'll be a strong incentive to really chew though my backlog, along with Another Crab's Treasure.

it's clear a lot of care was put into the visuals, it's all built in a custom engine and renderer which I think is very cool and rare these days.
Yeah, seems like they created a custom engine specifically for pixel art? Which is stupendous.

Cleared my first area - of sorts. Mightily impressed with this game - I find most Metroidvania games to be absolute sludge (a lot of them just blend together for me), yet I am enthralled by the world and impressed by the puzzle-platforming focus. It looks and sounds fantastic and I cannot wait to continue exploring the world.

Managed to find a solid 20 eggs so far plus one bunny, thankfully the internet has documented them. Highlight so far is picking up the disc and having that ghost cat chase after you!

Back
Top Bottom