• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Amazon US cancels pre-orders for Paper Mario, Endless Ocean, and Luigi’s Mansion 2 en masse

Nope, its real. And it seems that all physical pre-orders for these games have been canceled.

Which means one of two things:

A) Amazon did not secure enough invetory... of two major first-party Nintendo releases...?

B) Nintendo is not giving any/more inventory to them. For some reason.

Speculation seems to be that they could be fighting about something? This could be intentional retaliation, given that this is pulling out the rug from under the feet of paying customers, who've committed to buying something that isn't out yet.

Whack

Just lots of replies including people who ordered the moment the listings went live receiving the cancellations.
Am one of those. Checked out within minutes of posting going live, and pre-orders were still available for a few days afterwards. No way Amazon didn't have enough reserved inventory.

Am one of those. Checked out within minutes of posting going live, and pre-orders were still available for a few days afterwards. No way Amazon didn't have enough reserved inventory.
That sucks. I figured things like paper Mario would come back for pre order but it has been unavailable for a while. I can’t think of any reason for infighting to be happening again since the more recent switch titles have been in stock with no issues, but who knows.

That sucks. I figured things like paper Mario would come back for pre order but it has been unavailable for a while. I can’t think of any reason for infighting to be happening again since the more recent switch titles have been in stock with no issues, but who knows.
With no inside information at all, my best guess is that Amazon was trying to get something out of them (either a better cut of revenue, lower price for buying inventory than others, or future release priviliges) and Nintendo said no. Amazon probably persisted, so Nintendo is sending them a message by canceling all their reserved inventory.

Worth noting that none of the other major retailers (so far) have been canceling pre-orders, even with inventory outages. And also that TTYD isn't available on Amazon at all, even though Nintendo can make more copies.

Something is up.

Nope, its real. And it seems that all physical pre-orders for these games have been canceled.

Which means one of two things:

A) Amazon did not secure enough invetory... of two major first-party Nintendo releases...?

B) Nintendo is not giving any/more inventory to them. For some reason.

Speculation seems to be that they could be fighting about something? This could be intentional retaliation, given that this is pulling out the rug from under the feet of paying customers, who've committed to buying something that isn't out yet.

Whack
Do digital copies have "inventory?" Because digital copies went away at the same time the physical copies did.

GAMERS, Miyamoto saw that WE were buying MORE TTYD than any SLOP Intelligent Systems has put out in DECADES and SILENCED US with this counter offensive. WE MUST make sure OUR voices are heard! WE MUST preorder TTYD at EVERY other retailer imaginable. I JUST got off the phone with a former employee of BABBAGES and MADE SURE my copy was secured for launch. YOU must do the same. They CANNOT silence us.

Forward this to 10 friends or TABATA will take YOUR second favorite game series and turn it into lifeless, soulless SWILL for the masses.

Was this every version of Amazon because a British friend of mine was getting me the diorama pre-order bonus for TTYD for me through it I think lmao.

Was this every version of Amazon because a British friend of mine was getting me the diorama pre-order bonus for TTYD for me through it I think lmao.
Amazon JP still has it

Does seem to be region specific for whatever reason. I don't think it's anything to be too panicked over. Paper Mario was the best selling game on Amazon NA for a while, would be bizarre if this has anything to do with perceived scarcity.

Endless ocean preorders being cancelled? It must not be a stock issue then. It's something else. Issue with system or something idk

it's everywhere but the U.S. Even Amazon Canada still has it
It's either some sort of logistical/system error at its core (most likely), or its Nintendo having some sort of beef with Amazon US specifically (less likely).

But still, given the game is less than two months away, and they've been taking pre-orders that don't require immediately fulfillment, and digital copies aren't available through them anymore, is suspect.

Shame. Guess it might save me some money though; I was already on the fence about buying TTYD on launch, this makes that decision easier.

A system error that affects all upcoming Nintendo games? Doubt it. This is intentional.
More than that, a system error effect all upcoming Nintendo games, specificly via Amazon, and specifically in the US only.

Yeah no, it’s really not looking like an accident. I just have no proof that it was intentional aside from the above, which could be reasonably-ish chalked up to errors in systems.

You know, if you squint hard enough after staring straight at the eclipse earlier.

It's only Nintendo published games Amazon doesn't physically have yet, and the e-mails state the items are no longer available from the supplier.
Nintendo is withholding stock from Amazon, there is literally no other explanation.

According to some tweets and verified by a look at some of the item pages with Keepa, Nintendo games have been pretty cheap on Amazon lately. Pretty much every game, from Mario Kart and Odyssey to Zelda and Kirby dropped to 39.99. Maybe Nintendo doesn't like this as it cheapens the value of their product, and they aren't selling slowly enough to warrant such a discount.

It's only Nintendo published games Amazon doesn't physically have yet, and the e-mails state the items are no longer available from the supplier.
Nintendo is withholding stock from Amazon, there is literally no other explanation.

According to some tweets and verified by a look at some of the item pages with Keepa, Nintendo games have been pretty cheap on Amazon lately. Pretty much every game, from Mario Kart and Odyssey to Zelda and Kirby dropped to 39.99. Maybe Nintendo doesn't like this as it cheapens the value of their product, and they aren't selling slowly enough to warrant such a discount.
To be honest this was my first guess when I saw my pre-orders canceled. Unfortunately we may never know why this is happening though.

If that's truly the case, then why is this only happening to upcoming games?

If that's truly the case, then why is this only happening to upcoming games?
Well, for what it's worth what I posted is wrong. What actually happened is that a ton of Nintendo games suddenly were back in stock pretty much at the same time the pre-order cancellations happened, and all priced at 39.99 or lower except for the latest releases, so whatever pissed Nintendo off isn't that.

Timeline

March 15 - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Luigi's Mansion 2 HD, and Endless Ocean: Luminous no longer available for pre-order
09:14 - Super Mario Odyssey in stock for 39.99 (Last in stock March 6 for 47.99)
09:20 - Splatoon 3 back in stock for 39.99 (Last in stock February 17 for 39.99)
09:37 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze back in stock for 39.99 (Last in stock February 27 for 47.70)
09:53 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild back in stock for 39.99 (Last in stock March 1 for 39.99)
10:06 - New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe back in stock for 39.99 (Last in stock February 4 for 47.76)
10:17 - Kirby and the Forgotten Land back in stock for 39.99 (Last in Stock March 6 for 48.99)
10:34 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe back in stock for 39.99 (Last in stock March 17 for 39.99)
11:40 - Metroid Dread back in stock for 56.47 (Last in stock February 25 for 54.26)
14:34 - Wario64 tweet

GAMERS, Miyamoto saw that WE were buying MORE TTYD than any SLOP Intelligent Systems has put out in DECADES and SILENCED US with this counter offensive. WE MUST make sure OUR voices are heard! WE MUST preorder TTYD at EVERY other retailer imaginable. I JUST got off the phone with a former employee of BABBAGES and MADE SURE my copy was secured for launch. YOU must do the same. They CANNOT silence us.

Forward this to 10 friends or TABATA will take YOUR second favorite game series and turn it into lifeless, soulless SWILL for the masses.
they saw that everyone was ordering two copies thinking they'd get 60fps that way

putting in the post AND the threadban right now lol
boot.jpg

Remember when Amazon and Nintendo had that falling out where no Nintendo consoles were sold directly by Amazon? It might have been UK only but it lasted ages.

Amazon and Walmart both have some $40 first party games. Between that and the decent little indie sale that went live today, it almost feels like Direct season.

At least from personal experience, Amazon has a bad habit of shipping games a few days early to try and get them at your doorstep on exactly the street date. Which due to how the post office works in some countries has resulted in me getting games I ordered from them sometimes anywhere from a day to a full week early (this happened with SSBU). Amazon is a big source of leaks (when it's not store retail employees doing stupid shit) because of this.

Nintendo is probably beefing about that; retailers aren't supposed to ship products until street date and Amazon completely ignores it.

I literally can’t read that without visualizing a blue puppet in my head.

Hm. That's weird and very unfortunate. I usually order games through Amazon just because it's a lot easier for me than having to drive to the store, find an employee to get the game out of the case, drive home, etc. That becomes a whole thing that's trickier now that I have kids. I know, I can order from other stores, but then the shipping often isn't free and/or doesn't arrive on release date (though I've actually had Amazon fail to deliver on release date more than once).

Hopefully this gets sorted out.

Well, for what it's worth what I posted is wrong. What actually happened is that a ton of Nintendo games suddenly were back in stock pretty much at the same time the pre-order cancellations happened, and all priced at 39.99 or lower except for the latest releases, so whatever pissed Nintendo off isn't that.
I wonder if this is a "hey Nintendo gamers, sorry for the pre-order mess inconvenience, here's some good deals so that you continue buying with us". or if it's Amazon putting pressure on Nintendo by selling off everything they had already purchased and then stop selling Nintendo games until they agree to a new deal.

I wonder if this is a "hey Nintendo gamers, sorry for the pre-order mess inconvenience, here's some good deals so that you continue buying with us". or if it's Amazon putting pressure on Nintendo by selling off everything they had already purchased and then stop selling Nintendo games until they agree to a new deal.
Either is plausible, but given this is Amazon I'm sure its the former more so than the latter.

Some interesting ideas on what might be happening that I've seen:
-Amazon keeps discounting Nintendo games more often and for less than Nintendo is happy with.
-Amazon wants something from Nintendo, and they aren't budging.
-Nintendo doesn't like that Amazon's "delivery on day of release" for pre-orders sometimes results in new games being received days/weeks early.
-Nintendo's allocation of physical games for Amazon US specifically might be in limbo because it was shipping to the Baltimore port, and with the bridge collapse their supply chain is now delayed.

Crap, and I thought I found good use for my Amazon Gift Card too.
-Nintendo's allocation of physical games for Amazon US specifically might be in limbo because it was shipping to the Baltimore port, and with the bridge collapse their supply chain is now delayed.
This actually could be a legitimate reason too.

At least from personal experience, Amazon has a bad habit of shipping games a few days early to try and get them at your doorstep on exactly the street date. Which due to how the post office works in some countries has resulted in me getting games I ordered from them sometimes anywhere from a day to a full week early (this happened with SSBU). Amazon is a big source of leaks (when it's not store retail employees doing stupid shit) because of this.

Nintendo is probably beefing about that; retailers aren't supposed to ship products until street date and Amazon completely ignores it.
This happens all the time in France with both Fnac (one of the leaders in France for games/books/CDs/DVDs...) and Amazon.fr, I don't think it's that. It happens everywhere, and it has always happened. If anything it was way worse before, one week prior to release was indeed something that could happen a few years ago. Nowadays they ship it one or two days prior to release to avoid that.

No one would preorder online anymore if they had to wait until street date to SHIP the product (I for sure know I wouldn't anymore, I'm paying for "Fnac +" for free shipping and to get pre orders on release date), people want their pre orders to arrive on the day of release, not a few days after.

This happens all the time in France with both Fnac (one of the leaders in France for games/books/CDs/DVDs...) and Amazon.fr, I don't think it's that. It happens everywhere, and it has always happened. If anything it was way worse before, one week prior to release was indeed something that could happen a few years ago. Nowadays they ship it one or two days prior to release to avoid that.

Does it still happen in France? In Germany you used to be able to count on getting games from Amazon at least one day early, but that hasn't been the case for a while. Whatever they sorted out has resulted in strict - reliable but strict - day of release delivery for me and friends for the last several years.

Either is plausible, but given this is Amazon I'm sure its the former more so than the latter.

Some interesting ideas on what might be happening that I've seen:
-Amazon keeps discounting Nintendo games more often and for less than Nintendo is happy with.
-Amazon wants something from Nintendo, and they aren't budging.
-Nintendo doesn't like that Amazon's "delivery on day of release" for pre-orders sometimes results in new games being received days/weeks early.
I haven't read of anybody receiving a pre-order more than two days in advance in more than 4 years, I think.

I haven't read of anybody receiving a pre-order more than two days in advance in more than 4 years, I think.
Me neither, at least not directly. It's really hard trying to find a plausible, and not entirely conspiracy-sounding, explanation for this.

Back
Top Bottom