• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion All Purpose Box-Office Thread

Machrider

Paratroopa
Didn't see a box office thread so I figured why not start one.

Barbie pulled in a whopping $15 million on Monday and continues its torrid run with Oppenheimer following in tow. Barbenheimer giving theaters a monster boost at a time where box office traditionally cools (late July/early August). Good for a struggling industry. Mission: Impossible continues to underperform domestically, guess Tom Cruise isn't a box office savior after all. Haunted Mansion really should have been released in late Sept/early October.

Monday Totals (domestic, meaning US only)

Barbie - 15 million/366 mill total (Top Gun was just over 12 million it's 2nd Monday, Mario 5 million for comparison)
Oppenheimer - 6.8 million/181 mill total
Haunted Mansion - 2.3 million/26.4 mill total
Sound of Freedom - 2 million/151 mill total
Mission: Impossible DR - 1.39 million/140 mill total
Indiana Jones DoD - 579k/167 mill total

1 billion for Barbie is a lock, it definitely looks like it can challenge Super Mario Bros. The Movie for the no.1 movie of the summer. Audiences are hungry for things other than superheroes it looks like.

I'm so so so excited for the success of Barbie and so so so disappointed to see Sound of Freedom even on that list but hey 🤷‍♂️

Blue Beetle is on track to bring in a promising $642 this month. My ass will be in that seat.

I'm still waiting to see the outcome of Indiana Jones bombing as bad as it did.

I think The Flash and then Barbie/Oppenheimer ended up taking all the online discussion and attention (for different reasons), because DoD hasn't just bombed hard, it's like it hasn't even left a ripple afterwards in the collective pop consciousness. Disney spent over 300 million dollars on a film that just... Did nothing.

I'm still waiting to see the outcome of Indiana Jones bombing as bad as it did.

I think The Flash and then Barbie/Oppenheimer ended up taking all the online discussion and attention (for different reasons), because DoD hasn't just bombed hard, it's like it hasn't even left a ripple afterwards in the collective pop consciousness. Disney spent over 300 million dollars on a film that just... Did nothing.
Late June into July was a nightmare for scheduling, and I don't think DoD was an exceptional enough film to overcome being jammed between The Flash, Mission: Impossible and Barbenheimer like it was. Most of the other Indy films were May releases, to boot, so it's not as though they had some holy precedent to stand on.

edit: Honestly, The Flash is an even more spectacular bomb. Holy moly.

I agree that The Flash is a bigger bomb, but I feel like that at least had some sort of splash, even if it was just loads of people clowning on its VFX and creepy cameos on social media.

DoD just... Vanished without a trace. A whole new Indiana Jones film that just came out, no one saw it and is barely even acknowledged as a thing. Even Crystal Skull managed to at least get loads of angry discourse about it online.

Maybe the fact the series was never actually that good has something to do with it...

Indiana Jones is a 40 year old franchise with virtually no traction or nostalgia for anyone under 30 (even 35 I would argue) that already had its "he's back and old now" movie. Nothing about Indy 5 bombing is surprising at all.

Indiana Jones is a 40 year old franchise with virtually no traction or nostalgia for anyone under 30 (even 35 I would argue) that already had its "he's back and old now" movie. Nothing about Indy 5 bombing is surprising at all.
I'm in the prime demographic - I love Indiana Jones! But I haven't even seen it yet, it just feels so completely unnecessary. Last Crusade is one of my favorite movies of all time, and it ends perfectly both for the movie and the character and series as a whole - there was never a need to expand it past the original trilogy.

I'm in the prime demographic - I love Indiana Jones! But I haven't even seen it yet, it just feels so completely unnecessary.
Same. I feel like I'm part of the intended audience? But I think it looks shit, and I'm not spending money to see it in the cinema when I can watch it on streaming in a few months where, if I'm honest, I will probably pause it at some point and end up never finishing it. Disney+ is the home of "okay that's enough of this one for now let's finish it some other time" movies for me.

I'm in the prime demographic - I love Indiana Jones! But I haven't even seen it yet, it just feels so completely unnecessary. Last Crusade is one of my favorite movies of all time, and it ends perfectly both for the movie and the character and series as a whole - there was never a need to expand it past the original trilogy.
I think if Spielberg had directed it it might have ended up solidly mid-pack in the franchise, as its got a better MacGuffin than Crystal Skull, but Mangold honestly cannot keep up. The movie is not virtuosic, pulpy, or nasty enough to really feel like proper Indy.

True. I like the franchise a lot, but for Indy kids who liked the IP in the 80s ... would you have been hyped about a Western starring a 70-something John Wayne circa 1985? Probably not (well also because John Wayne was already passed away by then). But still, like some things just have their time and it's a lot more difficult to market an action adventure film where the lead is 80 years old.

That said, Mission: Impossible is really not doing much better than Indy domestically, which is a bit of a surprise.

And in the "no shit" category

Studios should commit to longer theatrical windows, rushing movies to streaming just conditions a certain part of the audience to just wait for the streaming release.

Looks like a decent start for Ninja Turtles (domestic). August is gonna a strong month with Barbenheimer likely legging out this month and TMNT getting in on things.

I was among the few at Indiana Jones opening weekend, and honestly I'm surprised it did as poorly as it did. It was leagues better than KotCS, and it had a lot of emotional heft. I guess though whatever audience remains of the Indy fanbase, they're not typically the kind of boomers/gen Xers to rush to the theatre these days. At the very least it shows Harrison Ford has absolutely no need to retire when his acting chops are as sharp as ever.

Looking forward to TMNT though, hopefully I can find a few friends willing to join me either this weekend or next to see it.

It was called The Shootist, and it ruled.

You are indeed correct, what a cast too ... Lauren Bacall, Jimmy Stewart, and even Ron Howard. But like Indy 5 it was a bit of a box office dud only making $13 mill total WW putting it well outside the top 20 box office earners. Which sorta proves the point.

You are indeed correct, what a cast too ... Lauren Bacall, Jimmy Stewart, and even Ron Howard. But like Indy 5 it was a bit of a box office dud only making $13 mill total WW putting it well outside the top 20 box office earners. Which sorta proves the point.
Point accepted.

I have a feeling once I finish Mrs. Maisel (no judge me pls I'm so far behind on all these shows) I'm gonna need another comedy to keep me going haha
Oh you're on Mrs Maisel??? Okay good, yes, I approve, carry on.

Barbie has surpassed a billion worldwide ... catching Mario Bros could be in the cards as the rest of the summer is fairly quite open.

Big box office weekend with lots of $20+ million movies for the weekend, a rarity.

Barbie$53.0M
Meg 2: The Trench$30.0M
Oppenheimer$28.7M
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem$28.0M
Haunted Mansion$9.0M
Is it weird that I'm actually rooting for Meg 2 to do well? I feel like we don't get a lot of don't-take-ourselves-too-seriously popcorn flicks like that these days.

also cowafuckinbunga yall

Yeah. I am the epitomy of this film’s target audience, Temple of Doom was my fave film as a kid, and I have no interest in it at all.

33. I'd say my generation has some love for the original films. Crystal Skull just killed the brand, which already had the perfect ending with The Last Crusade.

I will say that I thought Dial of Destiny was a better film than Crystal Skull and it served as a decent "send off", but the general public has largely moved on from Indiana Jones.

I'll be keeping an eye on Blue Beetle when that comes out. Even though I'm sick to the back teeth of superheroes, I kind of want it to do well just because it's a film with a Latino lead and a Latino family as the support cast, and it would be nice to see that demographic get representation at the box office.

That being said: I see trailers for it come up on my social media, and engagement seems low. I wonder if it's coming too far into the tail end of the superhero craze and too attached to the stink of the DCEU to get any buzz. I believe the last five or six DCEU films have all either bombed or severely underperformed, so it's got an uphill battle to fight.

Crystal Skull just killed the brand, which already had the perfect ending with The Last Crusade.

I will say that I thought Dial of Destiny was a better film than Crystal Skull and it served as a decent "send off", but the general public has largely moved on from Indiana Jones.

It took a lot of bullheadedness to even attempt another Indiana Jones movie after how bad Crystal Skull was. It absolutely killed the franchise.

It took a lot of bullheadedness to even attempt another Indiana Jones movie after how bad Crystal Skull was. It absolutely killed the franchise.
I read a theory that Harrison Ford only agreed to do Star Wars again was if they could make another Indiana Jones film as well. He's always loved that character so maybe there is some truth to it.

I read a theory that Harrison Ford only agreed to do Star Wars again was if they could make another Indiana Jones film as well. He's always loved that character so maybe there is some truth to it.
Spoilers for the newer movies, in case that matters:
What I read was that Han was originally supposed to die in RotJ, and Ford liked that original ending, and he was vocal in the years after that he thought Han shoulda sacrificed himself and thought it was chicken of Lucas to change the story and give him a happy ending. So when they approached him for VII with a story that turned his ending tragic and had him killed off, suddenly they were giving him what he wanted for the character and so he agreed for that.

But I wouldn't be surprised if one more whip crack for Indy was part of it.

I wonder if Greta Gerwig knew she would become one of the most successful filmmakers EVER as a result of Barbie. Like, wow! Couldn’t happen to someone more deserving, she’s a genius.

I wonder if Greta Gerwig knew she would become one of the most successful filmmakers EVER as a result of Barbie. Like, wow! Couldn’t happen to someone more deserving, she’s a genius.
I just got back from a second viewing a few hours ago and I agree. Just an incredibly realized film from front to back, and while the vibe is generally goofy some shots are shockingly gorgeous. So many layers to this thing.

Back
Top Bottom