• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Ahead of Tears of the Kingdom, which previous Ganondorf is your favorite so far?

Accounting for story, characterization, design, and more, which Ganondorf is your favorite overall?

• Ocarina of Time

• The Wind Waker

• Twilight Princess

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
985-9851125_a-ganondorf-ocarina-of-time-3ds.png

Ganondorf-Artwork-The-Wind-Waker.png

300px-Dark-Lord-Ganondorf.png

Ganondorf is one of the greatest villains of all time, and even though he has only appeared in three games, he casts a long shadow.

Ahead of the king's revival in Tears of the Kingdom, which of his previous incarnations do you like best? Overall (so story, characterization, design, everything).

My answers:

• Design: Twilight Princess
  • Characterization: The Wind Waker
  • Story: The Wind Waker
  • Overall: The Wind Waker

I s2g if WW dorf wins because of that stupid 'I coveted that wind' quote...

Like bro ofc you coveted that wind, you tried to enslave an entire Kingdom when the Gerudos don't even live a bad life. You're a fucking idiot mate.

Edit - FFS

Favorite Wind Waker.

Both character and design. Tho Ocarina’s design is killer as well

Least is Hyrule Warriors

Design: OOT
Personality: WW

I'll vote Wind Waker because I find Ganondorf's role in OOT as a desert king with a harem of women followers to be rather... tacky nowadays.

Last edited:
Tough to say. In terms of design, I love Wind Waker ganondorf. However, I vastly prefer Ganondorf's character arc in Ocarina of Time; nothing beats that classic story for me. Unfortunately I never got around to the second half of twilight princess because my Wii U broke, so I can't comment on that version of him.

OOT.

OOT structure where the hero and villain are both powering up during the game really potencializes him. You feel him all the time, see everything he changed and destroyed during the time skip. It’s also kind cool him acknowledging Link’s growth during his journey.

Though given my profile quote I’m kind of biased,

I s2g if WW dorf wins because of that stupid 'I coveted that wind' quote...

Like bro ofc you coveted that wind, you tried to enslave an entire Kingdom when the Gerudos don't even live a bad life. You're a fucking idiot mate.

Edit - FFS
Surely this is not a surprise to you lol

I think TP Dorf is the best design, but as a character everything about him is best in Wind Waker.

I kind of just like arrogant bastard Ocarina Ganondorf. Wind Waker is great, Twilight Princess is great, but Ocarina Ganondorf feels like the most personal antagonist against Link specifically.

My man Ocarina Ganondorf has the big "I'm goign to play the organ at this chump" bit going, which is unbeatable

He's a thief and an evil wizard, absolutely perfect, no notes

Ganondorf in WW was a hypocrite anyways, arguably the Gerudos' way of life was worse while he ruled Hyrule. All that power for 7 years and you did nothing to improve their lives and the people of Hyrule just discriminated the Gerudos even more because they had a violent, oppressive tyrant that made their lives a living nightmare who happened to be a Gerudo. With him as king with the triforce of power he had more than enough power to change their lives for the better instead he wasted those 7 years hunting for more power out of greed.

Ocarina of Time Ganondorf is the definitive Ganondorf, but I voted for Twilight Princess because of the better boss fight. I feel more OOT > TP is the same character vs OOT > WW is the same character, so I guess that works out.

Honestly? I gotta give a special shine to a Ganondorf design that never actually made it officially it off the cutting room floor.

ganny_oracles.jpg

Of course, I prefer Blue Boar Ganon above everything else, but I absolutely LOVE this design. And I can't help but wonder what kind of twists the story of the Oracle games might have taken, much less the boss fight itself, if Ganondorf had a chance to be bought back "properly", before transforming into Ganon for his final fight.

Design wise Twilight Princess, in terms of characterization Wind Waker...but I think people try too hard to see Wind Waker Ganondorf as being genuinely sympathetic and remorseful. He's not, he's spent years lying to himself trying to convince himself he did what he did for his people, but even when he did rule Hyrule in OOT, he did jack shit for his people, he doesn't care at all about them, and when he's denied the Triforce in Wind Waker he defaults right back to wanting to kill for the sake of killing. Thus I like him in Wind Waker because he's truly, from a very real perspective, evil.

Ocarina of Time is the only one where he is actively involved in the story so...

Plus he looks sick

I like his general boar appearance in LTTP. I felt like it matched up to the way the Dark World turned people into monsters/animals.

Regarding the OP, it’s Wind Waker for me. His bulky, slab-like character design contrasts well with link being small and agile, and I like the brief moments of characterisation.

Ganon as Agahnim was also cool, but I suppose that's not really a Ganondorf form. So Ocarina is my favourite one where he's so arrogant and active compared to the others. I really missed his trash-talking in BOTW so I'm glad he has returned.

Why do people keep missing the point of his Wind Waker monologue? The way the speech ends with him shouting "GIVE HYRULE TO ME!" makes it pretty clear that his real motivation has always been greed. He never talks about the Gerudo at all, only himself. "My country". "I coveted that wind".

I don't think he really cares to justify himself to Link in this scene. He's being nostalgic and is incapable of letting go of the past, that's his whole deal. The pause shows that he might be reflecting on where it all went wrong, in a sense, but everything after it confirms that where it went wrong was with him. You could see it as a glimmer of self-reflection that's far too little too late, or an attempt to retroactively justify to himself why he started down this path in the first place. I think that his dying words are about the wind implies that he's at least being honest about his nostalgia, but ultimately it was never really about Hyrule, whether he realized it or not.

I think you can look at his oceans monologue from before Puppet Ganon as a companion piece to this one. The desert is long gone, but Ganondorf still remains. If what he wanted was a wind that didn't bring death, he could have walked away and had that, at any time. He can return to the surface world whenever he likes, even after the King of Hyrule wishes for the kingdom's destruction and his loss is confirmed, it's never too late for him to move on. But he's mad at the gods for taking Hyrule from him. He remains completely fixated on that kingdom even as life continues on above, and he's unable to see any value in it. It's not even Hyrule, specifically. It's spite over what he can't have. That's what "Your gods destroyed you!" was really about. He went to all of this effort to get the Triforce, but the moment it's used against his interests he snaps, immediately decries it as worthless, and acts like everyone else was a fool for putting faith in it. He carries himself with the weight and gravitas of ages, but deep down he's still the same petty, cocky, vain, egotistical asshole he always was.

My answers:

• Design: Twilight Princess
  • Characterization: The Wind Waker
  • Story: The Wind Waker
  • Overall: The Wind Waker
My answers:
  • Laugh:
    OOT
  • Musical Abilities:
    OOT
  • Likelihood of Appearing at Wimbledon:
    OOT

Design wise I have to give it to Hyrule Warriors.

In terms of characterisation I have to give it to WW Ganondorf. I am a sucker for villains whose plans or actions still cast them as evil or monstrous, but have an element of tragedy to them. In WW Ganondorf's case, it's that for all his pretensions to gravitas and the wisdom of age, he's still fundamentally obsessed with his perceived entitlement to Hyrule even if it dooms him (which it obviously does).

Never played Wind Waker so just from the design view I like the Twilight Princess Ganondorf most. But soon it will be the TotK Ganondorf

TP is my favorite design
WW is my favorite story
OoT is the most intimdating

WW Ganondorf has always had the strongest design and characterization for me, personally. Although HW Ganondorf's design comes second.

Gonna go with wind waker…it is the first instance we see that Ganondorf could be more of a man cursed with the hatred of demise, rather than the hatred of demise simply being the man.

Oh the hatred is there, but it plays on his desires as the Gerudo King and amplifies his hatred towards the Hylians. It makes for a much deeper character, and it would be interesting to see this theme returning for TotK.

Design: TP
Character/story: OoT

I think they were trying to do more with ganon's character at the end of WW but they ran out of dev time

Wind Waker Ganondorf by a fair bit. He coveted the fuck out of that wind. The other Ganondorfs barely coveted the wind at all.

Back
Top Bottom