• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

PlayStation after months of attempting to repair them, Sony has officially shut down the LittleBigPlanet 3 servers

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

absolutely devastating news, and is a major cultural loss on the same level as the Nintendo eShop closures.

for those unaware of the history. the servers for the whole trilogy have been falling apart for years. with a severe exploit causing the first two games to permanently go down back in 2021, but the levels that were previously uploaded could still be played in the third game (albeit with some noticeable compatibility issues owing to various internal changes across each game.)
then the servers for the third game went back into “emergency maintenance” in January. with the community manager, who was supposed to leave in March, staying part-time to handle the situation.

sadly it wasn’t enough, leaving years of historically interesting community levels and projects gone forever.
this news is especially heartbreaking considering Sony is slowly letting the intended successor to the series, Dreams, die out.

My favorite Sony IP and it's incredibly sad to see how mishandled it is.

Little Big Planet 1 & 2 are some of the greatest games ever

Sony saw Nintendo erase all of those Super Mario Maker stages and didn’t want to get outdone.

That's sad. That hack was one of the weirdest ones I've seen, targetting years old games to display transphobic messages in the game.

Was one of my favorite PlayStation series. At least Ratchet & Clank is still around, but other than that, most of my favorite PS series are in hibernation with no signs of returning. :(

I understand why the servers were taken off and such (and it stinks a lot of stuff I enjoyed making and levels I enjoyed playing from others are unavailable to share with others), but it still makes me sad to see. PlayStation really needs to do better about honoring its legacy and not just with talk but with action. Game services ending, classic PS games with lackluster or even terrible emulation, it's all a bit disappointing to me.

I don't think I can find my LBP1 level in the archive but it's a bit difficult to tell if I'm searching it correctly. I still have it saved on my PS3 but that's unfortunate the archive doesn't seem that thorough.

Worst part is someone noted that it does appear the data is still on the servers (as the data server is still live), and Sony just... gave up trying to repair it to allow for access.

Unreal.

how many hundreds of thousands of work and memories just gone like that
i love megacorporations

can't wait until they go the whole nine yards and shut down media molecule in a year for dreams not being a financial success

So media molecule is done right.

Add another studio to the Sony kill list.

Microsoft and Sony must be competing to see how many they can run into the ground.

Nitnedo and sega got nothing on Sony in terms of dead ip.

it’s depressing reading how much of the ps1 and ps2 greats are gone

As someone who used to deal with this stuff for multi-million-dollar companies, I find it mind-boggling that (apparently) nobody at Sony/LBP/Media Molecule/whatever heard of backups, server redundancy, and cloned systems.

(I'm sure the actual issue is more complicated than that, but seriously...)

Back
Top Bottom