• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Predictions After Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD and Donkey Kong Country Returns HD, what 3DS games would you like to see get a straight port?

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
Clearly Nintendo is looking into 3DS games they can quickly and easily port to Switch with Luigi’s Mansion 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns. What other 3DS games would you like to see get this kind of no-added-frills port? Let’s assume Nintendo is willing to work with third parties as well.

Personally, I’d love to see Shin Megami Tensei IV and SMTIV Apocalypse get quick and dirty ports to Switch. Also, Super Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds, naturally.

What would you like to see?

Last edited:
Samus Returns! I think it deserves another chance.

Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World also seems like a good candidate for calendar filler for switch 1 once switch 2 comes out. It's also a good game, so I would think about buying it again!

Edit: the Fire Emblem games also work. I love Shadows of Valentia in particular, but the 3D exploration parts would need extra work. They already don't look good on the 3DS, so blowing them up on the switch would be scary.

Last edited:
Samus returns is my number one for right now. I already love how it plays, just adding better textures and the slightly better control from dread and it will be amazing. next up would be kid icarus.

Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2, purely for the sake of getting as much of the mainline Mario series on Switch as possible. We're so close to having the complete collection

So many amazing 3D games exist, and I'm glad Nintendo is willing to re-release them. While the obvious stuff like a link between worlds, samus returns, and kid Icarus uprising go without saying…id also like to see some of the more niche stuff get another shot at life. Even though I own them on 3ds, id like to see Tomadachi life, ever oasis, and rusty’s real deal baseball on the switch/switch successor.

Even though its maybe made a little redundant by 3d world, I also think Mario 3d land should get this treatment, maybe with some added levels or power ups to sweeten the pot a little

Also, this is probably impossible due to system limitations…but warioware gold is still the best one of those games imo. I mean the controller has a gyromoter so that shouldnt be an issue, and maybe they can incorporate some sort of pointer controls for the docked touch based games

Low effort? Quickly and easily? Maybe that will be the case with DKCR, but Luigi's Mansion 2 HD got a complete visual overhaul that's anything but simple. You gotta check out the Digital Foundry review of LM2HD, it's a pretty big difference once you see the original and remaster next to one another. Anyways, Robobot and handle it like RTDLD.

-Kid Icarus Uprising HD
-Samus Returns Returns
-Super Duper Mario 3D Land
-Kirby Planet Robobobot
-A stronger Link Between Worlds

Wooly World feels like the next obvious "in need of a definitive version" 3DS game; it's currently kinda in a similar spot as DKC Returns with some content exclusive to a version that runs worse (though at least Yoshi doesn't have the waggle control baggage on top of that)

I'd like to see the Boxboy games get ported, ideally as a collection. I only ever played the first one and the Switch one, so I don't know if the second and third game did anything that'd be hard to make work on a single screen. And it'd be neat to get FE Awakening, esp. now that all the DLC is no longer available through official means

Other than that, yeah, gimme the trifecta of Mario 3D Land, Link Between Worlds, and Samus Returns. Heck, maybe put 3D Land in a 3D All-Stars 2 along with 64DS and Galaxy 2 for Mario's 40th

(also not Nintendo, but part of me sorta wishes Level-5 just remastered Fantasy Life instead of making a new one that looks more Animal Crossing New Horizons-y)

maxresdefault.jpg

Fire Emblem Awakening, Fire Emblem Echoes, and Shin Megami Tensei IV would all translate perfectly. A link between worlds as well but it would need some graphical improvements.

Kid Icarus deserves a high effort port or sequel.

Samus Returns, because I've not played it. 3D Land, because I've not played it.

I also just love the idea of the fully Metroid series being playable on Switch. Zero Mission is so good that we only lack the remake of 2 to have a "acceptable to modern audiences" version of 1-5.

Samus Returns, because I've not played it. 3D Land, because I've not played it.

I also just love the idea of the fully Metroid series being playable on Switch. Zero Mission is so good that we only lack the remake of 2 to have a "acceptable to modern audiences" version of 1-5.
We’d still be missing the only mainline Metroid currently missing from the Switch, Other M.

I wouldn't call LM2HD minimal effort. It's a significant improvement over the 3DS version.

I'd be happy to see Link Between Worlds brought over near enough as-is, though I think they should add Tri Force Heroes to it as a bundle. Samus Returns I'd like to see again, but think it would be better off bring up closer to Dread's gameplay standards.

Would like to see DQs VII and VIII come back with the original soundtracks, though Square Enix has other DQs to get around to even after I-III. PLvPW is in a similar boat in that it ought to be ported but it'd be nuts to get it before an actual new Ace Attorney.

As with BoxBoy, it'd be nice to get a collection of the mo/blox series. OoT is already on NSO EP, but I'll second it because the 3DS port includes the Master Quest.

Disagree. Playing LM2HD and actually cannot believe that this is a 3DS game. This is not minimal effort imho. Do we have any info from the developer how long development took? Did they start right after Skyward Sword? How many people were involved?

To answer your question: Metroid, Zelda, 3D Land, all FE games, Planet Robobot, Kid Icarus, Mario Golf.

“Minimal effort” isn’t really the right term. Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD had a lot of work put into it, it just didn’t differentiate itself much stylistically.

Anyway, the “big ones” as I like to call them:
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Yoshi’s Woolly World (with 3DS content)
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe
  • Kirby Planet Robobot
  • Kirby’s Epic Yarn (with 3DS content?)
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening
  • Fire Emblem Fates
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Ever Oasis
  • Bravely Default + Bravely Second
  • The Atlus library
There’s more games I would certainly like to see, but those might not really fit into Nintendo’s current business strategy or just deserve new games instead of remasters. I’m sure I forgot a few as well.

Last edited:
First party:
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Kirby Planet Robobot
Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia
Codename Steam (although I want extra effort for this port)
Ever Oasis (this too)
Steel Diver Sub Wars
Jam with the Band P
Dillon Dead Heat Breaker

Third party:
Etrian Odyssey 4-5-Nexus Collection
Persona Q1-2 Collection
7th Dragon 3 VFD (collection with 7th Dragon 2020 1 and 2)
Strange Journey Redux
Radiant Historia
Stella Glow
Dragon Quest 7 remake
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3
Dragpn Quest Rocket Slime 3
Project X Zone 1-2 Collection

Also, to people who want Kid Icarus: You don't want a minimal effort port of this game, trust me. This needs to be built from ground up.

SQ_3DS_EverOasis.jpg

I always felt kinda bad for this game. It came out after the Switch's launch, but unlike Sushi Strikers, which managed to become a dual-release thanks to its 2018 release date, Ever Oasis was stuck on the 3DS at the time when all anyone was talking about was the shiny new Nintendo console. People were already tossing their 3DS handhelds in drawers or the back of the closet. Some of us did dig it back out when a new entry in an established IP ended up on the device -- I know I did for Samus Returns and Rhythm Heaven Megamix -- but for a new IP? Nah, ain't nobody was doing that. I ended up spending much of the Switch generation silently hoping that it would get an updated re-release for Switch so I could try it out on a device I'd become more invested in. Maybe one of those ports Brazil heard about will finally be it. Grezzo deserves to be a bit more than just "the 2D Zelda" team. Let them have an identity outside of that. Speaking of late stage 3DS games...

EbTzVolk.jpg

Now, I got this game on Day One. I have some quibbles with how faithful of a remake it truly is, but outside of that, it was a great game. An great game that, while it definitely sold well enough for Nintendo tell MercurySteam "alright, you guys can do a original Metroid now", I don't think enough Metroid fans actually played it. The community was still in the midst of a lot of fandom drama, and while there were those that appreciated the existence of Samus Returns, there were those who didn't want to touch it because it wasn't a Switch game, those who were very loud about never touching it because it would "reward" Nintendo for what they did to the fan remake AM2R the previous year, and those who didn't notice because METROID PRIME 4!!!! But that was seven years ago. It would be nice to see it get a second life on the Switch so old fans and new fans can enjoy a version of Metroid II that's a bit easier to absorb than the Game Boy original; having the entire 2D saga, both originals and remakes, available on the same console is a definitive plus as well.

Yoki watch 3 or fossil fighters frontier!!!! Just want games where your a kid and you have critters that are your friends and it's not pokemon I don't like pokemon the game only the anime or the critters. 🐈‍⬛

This thread made me go on a Yeah!ing spree. So many appealing ideas makes me hope we see a lot of games like DKCR HD, if it turns out to be a good port, happening in the future. What's tricky is I think that Luigi's Mansion 2 HD had a lot of work put into it, and it's not yet clear how much of DKCR HD has been redone. So, I don't think this is super simple. For my post, I'm basically thinking of these games as "likely has new assets and very small control/gameplay changes, but nothing major". With that said, stealing a bunch of ideas from others in this thread, I'd like:
  • Metroid: Samus Returns (complete the 2D series on modern platforms!)
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn (with 3DS content like DCKR HD)
  • Yoshi's Woolly World (with 3DS content like DKCR HD)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds + The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes (collection because I doubt Triforce Heroes is getting re-released otherwise)
  • Super Mario 3D Land (maybe bundle it with a mix of Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, New Super Mario Bros., and/or New Super Mario Bros. 2 as some kind of Super Mario Handheld All-Stars collection?)
  • Kirby's Triple Deluxe + Kirby: Planet Robobot (collection? separately is fine, too)
  • Ever Oasis
  • Star Fox 64 3D (this is the best version of this game, right?)
  • Kid Icarus Uprising (for the controls rework and Sakurai's likely insistence on quality, this is possibly a level of effort above the others)
I'd like remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask again, but I think it's time for a full Ocarina of Time remake and Majora's Mask needs a version that reverts some of the controversial changes made.

Last edited:
Codename STEAM
Zelda OOT
Zelda MM
Samus Return
Ever Oasis
Pokémon XY
Pokémon USUM
Kid Icarus
A link between world
Super Mario 3D Land
Luigi’s Mansion
Pilotwings Resort

Federation Force deserves a full remake instead.

Monster Hunter 4.

It has monsters that we haven't seen since, and it has (by far) the best pacing out of all the Monster Hunter games. It'd be good to have it available.

We’d still be missing the only mainline Metroid currently missing from the Switch, Other M.
I dunno how you classify Other M, since Fusion announces itself as Metroid 4 and Dread as Metroid 5, and it’s not in chronological order.

Maybe it’s clearer to say “Metroid 1-5 and their remakes”

Monster Hunter 4.

It has monsters that we haven't seen since, and it has (by far) the best pacing out of all the Monster Hunter games. It'd be good to have it available.
Clicked to say this, myself. Might as well bring in 3U, too. Swimming and the unique monster encounters it fostered are things that might never be seen again, and thus, would make this a welcome thing to see available for more to experience.

Yoshi's Woolly World makes sense, but perhaps they would want to save that for the successor. I think that is dependent on what Good-Feel's long term plans are, if they were to focus on Peach or another franchise, I could see them holding onto Woolly World so that we do have a Yoshi game on the next system.

Apart from that? Both of the 3DS Kirby games and Samus Returns seem like good candidates. Code Name Steam coming back would be great, but I don't see that as super likely.

Clearly Nintendo is looking into 3DS games they can quickly and easily port to Switch with Luigi’s Mansion 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns. What other 3DS games would you like to see get this kind of minimal-effort port? Let’s assume Nintendo is willing to work with third parties as well.

Personally, I’d love to see Shin Megami Tensei IV and SMTIV Apocalypse get quick and dirty ports to Switch. Also, Super Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds, naturally.

For full clarity: I don’t mean to say “minimal effort” like it’s a bad thing or anything. Just a graphical touch up here and there with no significant added content.
Donkey Kong Country Returns HD is based on the Wii version, not the 3DS version.

Not a fan of the “minimal effort” label for LM2HD, it’s a significant step up in model/texture quality and graphical effects. When I hear “minimal effort” I think of something that’s just a straight HD upscale (Super Mario 3D All Stars comes to mind).

Anyway, bring back Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, and A Link Between Worlds please!

Super Mario 3D Land
Zelda Link Between Worlds
Metroid: Samus Returns
Kid Icarus Uprising
Kirby Epic Yarn/Planet Robobot
Yoshi Woolly World
Fire Emblem Awakening
That's exactly the list of games I had in mind. Only Todomachi is missing.

In any case, there's an interesting pool to draw from. Not to mention Gamecube/Wii games like Starfox Assault, F-Zero GX, Galaxy 2 and Wario Land: The Shake Dimension.

Clearly Nintendo is looking into 3DS games they can quickly and easily port to Switch with Luigi’s Mansion 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns. What other 3DS games would you like to see get this kind of no-added-frills port? Let’s assume Nintendo is willing to work with third parties as well.

I don't know about Donkey Kong Country Returns HD, but I know that Miitopia and now Luigi's Mansion 2 HD are more remasters than ports.

Back
Top Bottom