• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion A new Virtual Boy emulator for 3DS has been released, and it's good!

Gingerbread Man

Paratroopa
Out of nowhere, and it even works on Old 3DS.

• All officially licensed games are playable at full speed, even on the original 3DS
  • 3D support
  • Game saves are supported
  • Map either the A/B buttons or the right D-Pad to the face buttons, with the other being on the touch screen
  • New 3DS C-Stick is also supported
  • Configurable face button mapping
  • Configurable color filter

Future additions:

• Support for PCM samples
  • Savestates
  • Homebrew support
  • Circle Pad Pro support
  • More versatile color filter
  • A forwarder to allow loading a specific game from the home menu
Github:

Stuff like this is why the internet can be pretty cool sometimes. I really need to hack my new 3ds xl at some point.

• 3D support
๐Ÿ‘€

Literally my first question when I clicked into this thread.

Obviously, Virtual Boy Wario Land is at the top of my list. Iโ€™ve been curious about the homebrew port, Hyper Fighting (itโ€™s Street Fighter II).

I still want to get a Virtual Boy at some point even if theyโ€™re falling apart.

A reminder that the Virtual Boy has a bunch more games than just Wario Land that are worth checking out, now that it's visuals are very easily preserved. A lot of games weirdly get judged as either "why was this on the Virtual Boy? It only kinda used the gimmick" or "I'm playing this on an emulator without 3D so this visual thing isn't very clear" and I don't really think that's a fair way to look back on it's library.
I'm very glad there's a much easier, better, more accessible way to play Virtual Boy games in 3D. If only Nintendo did it officially... ah well.

I'm still sad we didn't get an official release like this.

Definitely busting out my 3DS to try this, though.

Thereโ€™s the excuse Iโ€™ve needed to finally hack my 3DS XL. VB with 3D support sounds awesome.

I tried most of the games: the depth is constantly between popping out of the screen and pushed inside the screen which gets genuinely bad.
Bound High (the unreleased game) is somehow one of the best to play on it from my experience. But, yeah, I think games needs some hacks to have better depth management because even with games with that have depth settings it's not quite enough.
Definitely messes with my eyes so be warned. There's no depth slider, some games do have depth settings but not all of them do.

I tried most of the games: the depth is constantly between popping out of the screen and pushed inside the screen which gets genuinely bad.
Bound High (the unreleased game) is somehow one of the best to play on it from my experience. But, yeah, I think games needs some hacks to have better depth management because even with games with that have depth settings it's not quite enough.
Definitely messes with my eyes so be warned. There's no depth slider, some games do have depth settings but not all of them do.
I played Wario Land, Mario Clash, Teleroboxer and Mario's Tennis. I think the hands of Teleroboxer had the issue you mentioned, but everything else was flawless.

Though I think it did strain my eyes. I didn't notice it while playing, but after closing the 3DS my eyes had a sort of relief...
A reminder that the Virtual Boy has a bunch more games than just Wario Land that are worth checking out, now that it's visuals are very easily preserved. A lot of games weirdly get judged as either "why was this on the Virtual Boy? It only kinda used the gimmick" or "I'm playing this on an emulator without 3D so this visual thing isn't very clear" and I don't really think that's a fair way to look back on it's library.
I'm very glad there's a much easier, better, more accessible way to play Virtual Boy games in 3D. If only Nintendo did it officially... ah well.
Parish's Virtual Boy Works series is a great source of information!

This works extremely well. No strain on my end yet either.

Nice thing to just have come up out of nowhere.

I forgot to say this simple thing: If your eyes can stand the 3DS games at max 3D volume, then I think you'll be fine. Unfortunately I'm part of the people who doesn't.

I forgot to say this simple thing: If your eyes can stand the 3DS games at max 3D volume, then I think you'll be fine. Unfortunately I'm part of the people who doesn't.
I played the original VB for hours, my eyes are already beyond repair so I should be good!

I will never understand that Nintendo didn't at least bring over Wario Land to the 3DS, that game is amazing!
Renegade Kid (developer of Mutant Mudds, which uses the mechanic of jumping in and out of the background.) actually pitched a full remake to Nintendo back in the day, but it never went anywhere.

Renegade Kid (developer of Mutant Mudds, which uses the mechanic of jumping in and out of the background.) actually pitched a full remake to Nintendo back in the day, but it never went anywhere.

I wonder if assigning a custom palette to static and animated objects would be possible, as the GBC can do to GB games.

KxxDcr.png

Here, for example, the background is given a blue-ish palette, and everything a red-ish one. It's not a proper colourization, but something like that would still help VB games.

If it ain't red and black it ain't a VB game!
Lawful evil :p

I only played VB for a short time some years ago at a retrogaming expo (it was awesome, they also had a GameCube with Cubivore of all things). It didn't give me a headache or fatigue, but when I stopped playing, I felt relieved (plus I had a "oh wait, the outside world still exists" feel).

Next step is VB emulation on Switch with LABO support.

There's not a huge library of games that I would be super into, but it would be cool to check out Wario Land sometime. I need to pick up my 3DS again soon and test some more of its emulation capabilities.

To those wondering why Nintendo never did this, just play with the original colors. Jesus.

I was coming to post this since i found it right before going to sleep - set everything up with a ftp client on my phone lol - but i'm glad to see a thread already. Never played on a VB, so i dont know if the wonky depth is a characteristic of the console itself or it's just on the emulator, but even so, this is huge and i can't understand how nobody in the scene bothered to finish r3Ddragon. I've been waiting for this for ages, i've always been curious about the Virtual Boy - never came to EU - but no way i'm playing the OG console, and it NEEDS to be on 3D.

I'll pick a game later and start a playthrough, but i liked what i played last night, depht issues notwhistanding.

This is really amazing. My experience with the VB is almost nil, so I'm only familiar with its games via emulation on regular LCD screens. Playing them on 3D is straight-up transformative, both VB Wario Land and Jack Bros. feel like entirely different (and much better!) games.

Plus, the greyscale really helps with visual clarity

I want to try this, because the 3DS never bothered me, but trying the original VB in stores gave me such a headache that I never got one back in the day even when they were being blown out for ridiculously cheap

i fear the red and black VB experience

Just tried it out on my spare hacked New3DS with the one VB game I actually own for the system (VB Wario Land; I do have a real VB, but VBWL is the only game I own for it). Seems to work flawlessly, S3D and all. The S3D looks every bit as good as I would've hoped for.

This thing is an absolute miracle. I remember people tried to get it working years ago on the 3DS to no avail, running at like 5FPS with massive graphical and sound glitches... I can't believe how well it works! So stupid that Nintendo never made it happen officially.

I finally have a legit way to play an illegitimate copy of VB Wario Land in S3D without having to deal with the horrible neck strain that comes with using the original VB hardware! At last! I now have a reason to track down the rest of the library! :D

I want to try this, because the 3DS never bothered me, but trying the original VB in stores gave me such a headache that I never got one back in the day even when they were being blown out for ridiculously cheap

i fear the red and black VB experience
Honestly, as someone who has tried and hated the Virtual Boy red being emulated, I genuinely did not have any problems with playing through all of VB Wario Land again in red. I think it's partially cause of the N3DS XL's screen size not being as blown up as it would be on my monitor. Could also be the 3D helping things be more clear.
Some of the darker games on the system without brightness settings like V-Tetris do feel much better having a brighter colour being chosen on the wheel, but most of them have brightness settings.

The latest version supports the 3D slider

This release fixes the random crashes in T&E Soft's games (Red Alarm, 3D Tetris, Golf). Now all official games are actually playable!

Features​

• 3D depth slider support (#10 by @djedditt)
  • Pick which eye is rendered in 2D mode
  • Fast-forward button on in-game touch screen (either hold or toggle)
  • GUI matches colour filter (#5 by @JeffRuLz)
  • Additional face button layouts

Fixes​

• Fixed random crashes in T&E Soft's games (Red Alarm, 3D Tetris, Golf)

Last edited:
If anyone is wondering how they got the slider to work, Vague Rant over GBATemp explained the clever trick well.

It's sort of complicated. On 3DS, every game has to be programmed to understand the depth slider and adjust the projection by rendering things from different perspectives based on the slider position. In a stunning lack of foresight from Nintendo, Virtual Boy games were not programmed to handle the 3DS slider and there's nothing that can be done about that. In 3DS games, the depth slider is adjusting the distance between the nearest and furthest parts of the 3D image, but you can't do that on Virtual Boy where all the depths are pre-programmed.

Let's take a step back for a moment and look at 2D games. Nintendo officially released Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles via Virtual Console on the 3DS. If you hold Start or Select while booting a Game Boy (Color) VC, the console puts the border of an original Game Boy around the screen and in a 3D depth sense, moves the emulated Game Boy screen back slightly so it sits "below" the border (further away from the player) in the stereoscopic image. Game Boy games don't have to understand the depth slider to make that work, instead the emulator is responding to the depth slider by moving where that flat 2D screen is positioned.

Coming back to the Virtual Boy, that's also what Red Viper is doing. It can move the entire image forward or back, but the emulated game doesn't "know" anything about the 3D depth and is not adjusting to make far away things look further or close things look closer. The actual depth--the distance between the closest and furthest objects relative to each other--remains the same at all times, but using the slider, you're able to configure where in 3D space that image sits to make the whole thing closer or further away from you.

Also, cute detail - the battery indicator is emulated as well :)
2024-03-01_15-06-29-680_top-png.423228

Any Circle Pad Pro support? I don't have a New 3DS but I do have a Circle Pad Pro. I've been waiting until that's supported.

Tried this out, and wow it's crisp.

I looked it up, the Virtual Boy resolution is 384 x 224, the 3DS is 400 x 240, so it's a pixel perfect fit inside the 3DS top screen and is basically fullscreen.
What a relief compared to how blurry GB/C/A and NDS graphics look.

This is ironically the sharpest presentation of a retro handheld on the 3DS.

What a relief compared to how blurry GB/C/A and NDS graphics look.

This is ironically the sharpest presentation of a retro handheld on the 3DS.
Psst. If you hold Select when booting any of those games, they will display in pixel perfect mode, GB/C even gets a little border that's affected by the 3D slider.

Psst. If you hold Select when booting any of those games, they will display in pixel perfect mode, GB/C even gets a little border that's affected by the 3D slider.
I'm aware. I dislike how tiny they get.

I'm aware. I dislike how tiny they get.
Ah yeah, fair. Personally I don't mind it for DS games cause it's not too bad, basically just DS Lite screen size at least on a N3DS XL, but GB/C games are really tiny, I can't imagine playing like that on a non-XL 3DS. Usually though, DS games don't look too bad being blurred by the scaling, at least, ones that rely more on 3D than a bunch of sprite art, and the same goes for the GBA's mode 7 racers.

Switch NSO is my go to for GB/C/A games now though, if only they would add all the games I have on 3DS.

OT, but you can try Open Agb Firm (or mGBA) for GBA games, they use 3DS' 800x240 mode (which doesn't work on 2DS, though).

Though I agree with you, while 3DS is a great jack of all trades, the resolution makes it a master of none (bar the Virtual Boy). I bough an Analogue Pocket and a DSi XL for this very reason.
Unless I'm reading this wrong and haven't found it in the options, this upscaling option is only in mGBA.

I hacked my New 3DS back in the dark days of early 2020 and sheer boredom, to liberate my VC and ambassador ROMs from it and turn my SNES Mini into a multi-emulator. But I've never found that much use for it, especially as NSO has expanded (though I'm glad I have a backup option should Nintendo never give us a new purchase option for old games).

Hearing about this Virtual Boy emulator is great news, though. Definitely going to look into this at the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom