• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion A Legend of Zelda movie is apparently being at least talked about

Lep106317

Rattata
Pronouns
he/him
So this is gonna sound insane, but I am a huge wrestling fan and subscribe to a wrestling news site for a few bucks a month to get exclusive news. Some news just dropped about a wrestler, Cody Rhodes, who happens to be a huge Zelda fan taking meetings in Hollywood while they were there for their big show a couple weeks ago. The article stated this:

"There was discussion of him being linked or particularly interested in the Johnny Cage role in an upcoming Mortal Kombat movie, which The Miz has also been angling for. There was also discussion regarding a connection to a potential upcoming Zelda film."

So yeah no idea how far into the process this might be, but the fact that some sort of discussion has apparently been had is exciting!

Nice, I wonder if they would adapt a game or make a new story.

God. Lucifer, the morning star. Satan, the gaoler. Whoever's listening.

Not a live-action Hollywood film. Please. Oh lord, please, let it be animated. I'd prefer if it was traditional animation instead of 3D, and I wanted it to be an animated series, but I'll take anything that isn't a live action film

Please make it animated. I don't want to see some random Hollywood actor try to play Link

Not a live-action Hollywood film. Please. Oh lord, please, let it be animated. I'd prefer if it was traditional animation instead of 3D, and I wanted it to be an animated series, but I'll take anything that isn't a live action film
Given Nintendo was doing a live action Zelda series with Netflix a few years ago (that we know didn't get off the ground because leaks), I wonder if they will go the live action road or if after Mario's success they're just going to try to pull it off in animated movie form. Zelda doesn't exactly have a consistent aesthetic across the series like Mario does. I guess BOTW could be the inspiration for the art direction?

Last edited:
If that's the wrestling news site I'm thinking of you shouldn't be wasting your money on it, but regardless I'd love to see Cody associated with Nintendo in some way.

Too many Hollywood people have been talking about Zelda lately for me to not think something weird is going on. Whether it be jokes about Zelda film rights on Twitter or TheWrap straight up saying Hollywood insiders are predicting Illumination and Nintendo to do a Zelda adaptation.

If you want to throw more wood on the fire there was the abrupt closing announcement for Poseidon's Fury at Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park on Tuesday. The timing caught everyone by surprise and came just days after we learned Mario's record breaking box office. The long running rumor was that a Zelda land was supposed to take over the surrounding land where Poseidon's Fury was. Now hypothetically if a Zelda movie was given the green light after Mario's opening weekend, then it could make sense the executives at Universal also decided it was time to greenlight Zelda at the parks too.

That said everything I mentioned could be coincidental and people working themselves into a frenzy about Zelda due to its fame when that may not be the plan right now for Nintendo. Either way I figured I'd throw it out there cause there's been so much ruckus about it.

I hope the tickets cost $70!

SaneRecentHairstreak-size_restricted.gif

I hope this is true just because of how funny it would be if a Zelda film was leaked because of professional wrestling.
I hope it's true because The Miz would make a rad Johnny Cage

Remember when Netflix " leaked " the Zelda show and then Nintendo canceled
Netflix leaked the Zelda show,
Nintendo cancelled relationship with Netflix

WWE leaks Zelda movie,
Nintendo cancels relationship with:
john-cena-img.large.jpg

Of course it's being talked about. You don't think Illuminaton or other studios haven't proposed a Marvel cinematic universe of movies already?

They aren't going to sleep on those big bucks, specially now that the Mario movie is a hit.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything to this, and he was probably just having meetings and said in the meetings how he's a massive Zelda fan and how they should totally make a Legend Of Zelda movie in these meetings - happens all the time, sometimes it gets the studios to chase the rights, sometimes not

ADRENALINE IN MY SOUL
LINK IS PLAYED BY CODY RHODES
isn't Cody way too buff to play as Link? Unless it's TP Link :unsure: Anyways, I still think a Windwaker animated movie would be the safest choice, assuming that Nintendo still work with Illumination on their next project, which seems very likely given how successful the Mario movie has been so far.

would love a Zelda movie by Dreamworks in a style similar to Puss in Boots 2, seems like a great fit. I also wouldn't want a "serious" Zelda movie keep that shit whimsy with good action scenes.

Puss+in+Boots+Last+Wish.gif

puss-in-boots-the-last-wish-puss-in-boots-wolf.gif

Also unlike Mario I'd want something less reliant on easter eggs or references that could stand on its own as a narrative work.

Honestly it would be cool to see canon stories to cover events in between the games, like the Hero of Men or the Hylian Civil War.

That whole thing was a rumor, I believe.
Wasn't it from one of the trades? Was probably real at some point.

Anyways I'm against doing animation for this. Illumination is a horrid fit, and Dreamworks movies are a 50/50 shot on whether they're good or absolutely rancid

Personally I don't see the appeal. The whole point of the series is about the exploration of the world, story has never been Zelda's biggest strength

It'll happen eventually but I think people forget how weirdly Nintendo operates just cause it's a new medium, like people act like they just instantly extrapolate off of successes in a way they don't (ie the idea we'd get Odyssey 2 and BOTW2 in 2017 and they'd be out by 2020 or so, where as they had to analyze if they wanted to follow up and even with BOTW where they did they're not trying to just be more of the stuff you like, going all out) I think they've just internally greenlit a Mario Movie 2 and thats it, maybe DKC as well but I'm skeptical even there. We're not gonna get a Marvel type slate of things with yearly movies, in like June 2025 we'll watch Mario 2 and then DK movie maybe 2026, after that who knows (though Mario 3 as well later, look up Illumination movies including upcoming and you'll see they never do only 1 sequel, its always a trilogy)

Wasn't it from one of the trades? Was probably real at some point.

Anyways I'm against doing animation for this. Illumination is a horrid fit, and Dreamworks movies are a 50/50 shot on whether they're good or absolutely rancid
Do animation so they can do a Smash Bros. movie with the recent Mario animated movies.

That whole thing was a rumor, I believe.
Someone who was working on a Star Fox show at the same time said it was real, and that Nintendo cancelled their show as well because of the leaks. Ninty basically shut everything down and regrouped with new partners.

Rhodes playing Groose fer sher

Seriously though, I’m sure after the Mario movie there are * several* Nintendo IP projects being at least talked about. They’re making a lotta money!

Someone who was working on a Star Fox show at the same time said it was real, and that Nintendo cancelled their show as well because of the leaks. Ninty basically shut everything down and regrouped with new partners.
So... it being somewhat inspired by Game of Thrones... was real?!

Well, everyone, TIL...

So... it being somewhat inspired by Game of Thrones... was real?!

Well, everyone, TIL...
Well that could mean, like, almost anything. "Grounded action drama in medieval fantasy setting" could be all they meant.

Plus iirc the wording was that "Netflix wanted their own GoT," not that the show would be inspired by it. Simply that they wanted their own fantasy juggernaut series. Which they eventually got anyway.

Well that could mean, like, almost anything. "Grounded action drama in medieval fantasy setting" could be all they meant.

Plus iirc the wording was that "Netflix wanted their own GoT," not that the show would be inspired by it. Simply that they wanted their own fantasy juggernaut series. Which they eventually got anyway.
Oho, interesting.

Maybe they can revive the initial Netflix plans?

Back
Top Bottom