• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion 9 Hidden Gems on Nintendo Switch

Do these games look good?

• Yes

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Awesome watch.

Tbh I was thinking about making a thread about anyone naming a hidden gem they recently played.

I highly recommend A Short Hike. It really is short, but the experience is very pleasant and wholesome. I felt so happy and relaxed during my playthrough. I see it on deep discount every so often, so don't hesitate if you see it on sale and it looks even somewhat appealing to you.

Cool idea getting other devs to give their picks. Hopefully this isn't a one off and is an ongoing thing. Can imagine a Toby Fox appearance for example leading to a ton more visibility for his picks

Awesome idea for a series.

Some of these aren't exactly hidden though. Among Us is very popular.

And yes, I notice Spiritfarer in the eshop charts regularly here in Australia.

Awesome idea for a series.

Some of these aren't exactly hidden though. Among Us is very popular.

And yes, I notice Spiritfarer in the eshop charts regularly here in Australia.

I thought the same thing, until I realized it was an Among Us developer who is recommending their picks for hidden gems

I love the spotlight Nintendo regular puts on indie games. Such a big change from the WiiWare days.

A Short Hike is absolutely wonderful. I've gifted copies to multiple friends and everyone has loved it. Just a great experience. Highly recommend Creaks too. Very clever and great art.

Is Baba is you any good? I'm sure when it was coming out I saw a trailer that had an answer that wasn't grammatical correct so it put me off but I might have just misread it.

Is Baba is you any good? I'm sure when it was coming out I saw a trailer that had an answer that wasn't grammatical correct so it put me off but I might have just misread it.
It’s a really good puzzler. I’m not sure what you mean by “grammatically correct”, it’s supposed to follow programming syntax rather than regular English.

Anyway, I’ll buy A Short Hike someday…

It's very good. I often feel too dumb for it, but it's a very creative puzzle game.

What a great idea for highlighting indies on Switch. I really hope this is a series that will continue. Now, I need to add some games to my wishlist after seeing this.

Always nice to see the kind of games that other indie game devs are playing.

Love that Creaks got a shoutout, all Amanita Design games are generally great.

Good recommendations, but these are hidden gems only in the loosest sense.

Astalon: Tears of the Earth, Eliza, Paratopic, Kuso, Elliot Quest, N++ (?)

Hades

Last edited:
I never considered No More Heroes to be an indie game.

I have still pending to take "A Short Hike", and the one in 2D about death and those handmade images looks quite interesting as well.

My list of eshop gems that I played recently that think people should check out (some hidden maybe some not):

Murder By Numbers - Visual Novel crossed with Picross. Good dialog and characters and good to play. Good diversity in the cast (ethnic and sexual diversity get good representation)
Iconoclasts - Great metroidvania lite which is maybe a little long but which has a good story and is packed with mini bosses
Katana Zero - Moody pixel art action game where one wrong move means instant death. Great fun
A Short Hike - Chill, fun game with a wholesome atmosphere - a great way to while away a few hours. Cheap too,
Horace - Huge platformer made by like one or 2 guys. Highly recommended specifically to us Brits since it contains a lot of cultural references. PRobably too long for its own good but is heavily discounted and plays really well.
Steredenn - Rogue like shoot em up which is frantic and fun to play, especially with 2 people
Wulverblade - Historical hack n slash game which is tough but pretty fun and has a good story with some nice historical facts about Roman and tribal Britain thrown in.

A hidden gem I'd recommend would be RoboPhobik. It plays like the Mystery Dungeon games where your enemies only move when you do. The art is charming - Lego style. The story doesn't take itself seriously at all, an intelligent AI named PAL 9000 has enslaved a city and an agency hires a new recruit, Julie (you) to investigate and stop the robots.

I got it on sale for a few dollars.

A Short Hike is absolutely wonderful. I've gifted copies to multiple friends and everyone has loved it. Just a great experience. Highly recommend Creaks too. Very clever and great art.
How do you gift eshop games?

I'll recommend the following truly hidden gems:
  • Crush Your Enemies is a pocket sized interpretation of an RTS, stylistically similar to WarCraft 1. You command a tribe of cartoonishly vulgar barbarians.
  • Of Mice and Sand -Revised- is a crew-sim in which you cross the post apocalyptic desert in your custom made and managed land-sub.
  • Hero Express is a 2D physics based driving game similar in concept to Elastomania but featuring multiple cars and environments that each handle differently and some fun power-ups.
If I have time I'll expand on this post later, and add pictures and further impressions.

Had never heard of Creak before, looked cool. Will look in to that.

A Short Hike is one of the best games on Switch. I adore it.

There's a few I've been on the fence about getting, like Slime Rancher and A Short Hike. Seems like a good endorsement.

Back
Top Bottom