• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion 8 Minutes Of Disney Epic Mickey Rebrushed Nintendo Switch Gameplay

I saw comments complaining about missing sounds and music in this footage. I'd enjoy buying this game to give it another shot if I knew it didn't lose anything over the original, so I hope everything was left intact. I'm okay with some visuals still looking like a Wii game in places (like other comments I saw noted) as long as I don't feel like anything was taken away or broken due to a poor remaster quality.

I'm really excited for this. I picked up the original, but never really gave it much of a chance, especially with the irritating camera. If the remake fixes that (and the devs have directly addressed that I believe), then I'm picking it up.

It looks really boring to me. I scrubbed through the trailer looking for fun bits and saw nothing. Maybe it's because the music sounds like that music they pipe in at the Disney parks, reminds me of waiting in long queues.

I found the Wii game quite disappointing back then, mostly regarding the camera, clunky controls and somewhat simplistic gameplay. But mostly let never turned out nearly as "dark" as the original trailers made it out to be back in the days.

Here's hoping they fixed some of the more glaring issues of the original release. It surely does look like a nice remake graphics-wise.

It's a tad weird to see the paint/thinner cursor static in the screen, since it's not being moved independently with the Wii Remote xD, but I guess it won't be any different as of how Epic Mickey 2 controlled in every non Wii/Wii U platform, right?

I'm excited for this one! Hopefully the Quest Log is also completely reworked! and you don't need to start a whole new save file if you want to do multiple endings

Skipped the wii version, may pick this up.

Despite being a giant Disney fan, I never did play the original release. I even got to meet Warren Spector before it's release and he was so excited to be working on the project as he's a lifelong Disney and Mickey fan.

Not going to miss it this time!

But mostly let never turned out nearly as "dark" as the original trailers made it out to be back in the days.
Trailers weren't the ones that was dark, it was the leaked concept art. But Spector said couple of times those artwork were never a part of the game in dev any way. They were just... artworks. And they hyped people to the wrong way.

I remember liking the time I spent with this game when I bought it back in ~2012. Interested to see where the remaster will take the idea.

EM2 is the one I felt was half-baked and rushed.

I remember liking the time I spent with this game when I bought it back in ~2012. Interested to see where the remaster will take the idea.

EM2 is the one I felt was half-baked and rushed.
My issue with Epic Mickey 2 is that is obviously made for co-op gameplay.. and playing alone, depending of the AI to do certain tasks can be very annoying. On top of playing the game through the Wii U, which ran terribly.. terrible port job they did there! And the game was on Wii and on the Vita!

the themes are also a bit underwhelming, since Wasteland is no longer all destroyed and gloomy due the end of the first game; But I'd be interested if Purple Lamp purposed an Epic Mickey 3, after the cliffhanger ending of 2... though, I'd absolute need Warren Spector back as the director though.

My issue with Epic Mickey 2 is that is obviously made for co-op gameplay.. and playing alone, depending of the AI to do certain tasks can be very annoying. On top of playing the game through the Wii U, which ran terribly.. terrible port job they did there! And the game was on Wii and on the Vita!

the themes are also a bit underwhelming, since Wasteland is no longer all destroyed and gloomy due the end of the first game; But I'd be interested if Purple Lamp purposed an Epic Mickey 3, after the cliffhanger ending of 2... though, I'd absolute need Warren Spector back as the director though.
True. I barely even remember the second game's story tbf, just that it ended abruptly and really quickly.

I think it looks pretty good?

Depending when it releases I'm probably getting this to play with my kids

It looks really boring to me. I scrubbed through the trailer looking for fun bits and saw nothing. Maybe it's because the music sounds like that music they pipe in at the Disney parks, reminds me of waiting in long queues.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who might have checked their phone for queue times watching it.

It was enjoyable enough the first time but this isn't particularly selling the idea of revisiting.

So, um, what's the deal with this game and its mixed reception? Was it just janky, or were the immersive sim elements not good enough? (never played it, just watched someone else playing when it came out and I remember the art direction being surprisingly good)

So, um, what's the deal with this game and its mixed reception? Was it just janky, or were the immersive sim elements not good enough? (never played it, just watched someone else playing when it came out and I remember the art direction being surprisingly good)
It had awful camera controls thanks to Wiimote+nunchuck combo lacking a second analog stick. That was the biggest problem with the game, platforming was fine. Could be a solid platformer if they somehow implement classic right stick camera to the game.

It had awful camera controls thanks to Wiimote+nunchuck combo lacking a second analog stick. That was the biggest problem with the game, platforming was fine. Could be a solid platformer if they somehow implement classic right stick camera to the game.
I've been really pleased with the few impressions I've read, GameSpot had some today, combined with an interview:

Purple Lamp is trying to amend many of the game's initial flaws in this new iteration. Oh, and of course, the motion controls.

"We had to change the controls, we had to enhance the camera, and we needed to translate motion controls to analog sticks, while needing to keep the heart of the game intact," Schröder said.

Epic Mickey Rebrushed controlled well, and gave a much needed jolt in the arm for the rather bygone 3D platformers I miss. Playing on Nintendo Switch, controls were responsive, the world was as welcomingly dreary as I remembered in the original (albeit with a fresh coat of paint), and platforming while switching between paint and thinner to unlock new areas and solve puzzles performed with modern gaming expectations. Everything felt right in place with the original--so much so that I had nearly forgotten the game was originally only playable with motion controls (which is still a control option for those purists out there).

One never elaborated on detail was Nintendo themselves apparently tweaking the camera in their Japanese release of the original. NO ONE played it I guess so we never got impressions of it, only the knowledge that it did get tweaked.

Never found out if EM2 used said fixes or so far if they're being used here.

Just finished the video OP posted and yeah, I noticed right away some missing sound effects; and some are definitely just the ones complemented by the Wii Remote speakers, but there are some in-game ones missing as well. As for the Steamboat Willie music not playing in the video, I'm sure it's more to do due copyright strikes, because when I streamed the original Wii game, I got claims from Disney everywhere, especially during the projector transition sections. So it's probably cut just for the press to publish their videos with no harm.

Either way, I hope this is also due being an in-development build. (I noticed Mickey completely motionless when the projector door opened, which doesn't happen on the Wii)

One never elaborated on detail was Nintendo themselves apparently tweaking the camera in their Japanese release of the original. NO ONE played it I guess so we never got impressions of it, only the knowledge that it did get tweaked.

Never found out if EM2 used said fixes or so far if they're being used here.
I actually never heard that the Japanese version published by Nintendo had changes; that's interesting!

I know the Vita port of Epic Mickey 2 was published by Sony and had their own tweaks too; that's why it's so shameful that a handheld version of that game performed so much better than the Wii U one lol.

Back
Top Bottom