• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO New Genesis/Mega Drive Games!! Crusader of Centy, Landstalker, Ghouls ‘n Ghosts and Revenge of Shinobi are available now!

Oh shit I’ve always wanted to play an old Shinobi game since loving the PS2 one like 20 years ago

SHINOBI’S BACK

I really need to sit down and focus with the Genesis app sometime. I have absolutely no Genesis experience and it’s a definite gap in my video games experience lol

My family had a Saturn growing up though!

Excuse me?!?!? Four games? We eating. Also would have never guessed any of those besides Shinobi. I'm thankfully almost done with TotK so I can play these games.

I really need to sit down and focus with the Genesis app sometime. I have absolutely no Genesis experience and it’s a definite gap in my video games experience lol
Same. I’ve dabbled in a few of the games but I think I’ve only finished a couple of them.

Ohh Crusader of Centy! Basically Sega's Zelda :D
I have never heard of it, but I have to try it out now. Landstalker, too, I remember that from magazines.

I have never heard of it, but I have to try it out now. Landstalker, too, I remember that from magazines.
Sega felt they were losing to Nintendo in North America because they had too much arcade action and not enough role playing/adventure games. They launched a giant marketing campaing called The Mega Roleplaying Project - 7 RPGs in 10 months, with special branding.

Crusader of Centy was the first title launched, and was supposed to be to Link to the Past what Sonic was to Mario. I've never played it, but supposedly it's rather good, and the best of the 7, but more action-y, less puzzle-y than Zelda, which tracks with Sega's brand overall.

I've wanted to play it for years, but physical copies are $$$.

That is a good Shinobi game that we are getting. Also, I've never heard of that crusader game or Landstalker, but both look great! I am playing these games after I finish Final Fantasy!

This is a classic set for sure…
Now if only they could give us a two pack of N64 games next month

My friend, I'm convinced that Nintendo wants to stretch that N64 roadmap out to the Feb 2024 direct.

That is a good Shinobi game that we are getting. Also, I've never heard of that crusader game or Landstalker, but both look great! I am playing these games after I finish Final Fantasy!

My friend, I'm convinced that Nintendo wants to stretch that N64 roadmap out to the Feb 2024 direct.
Inb4 we get them all before october

To be honest I'd be surprised if we got more N64 game than the road map tbh. At least on this Switch. I know like 40 slots were data mined before they scrubbed the data but they aren't guaranteed in my opinion.

All awesome games. Don't sleep on Ghouls n Ghosts, very underrated game and not super difficult (especially the Genesis port with double checkpoints). If you like tight action games and a moderate challenge check it out.

Crusaders of Centy is one of those games I've always wanted to get around to. It wasn't included in the genesis classics collection, so great to see it pop up here

We are up to 44 games in the Genesis NSO (North America anyway). This library is filling out nicely.

What I really like is that we are getting a bunch of deep cuts, and not just the same 30~40 games that come in every Genesis collection, but I still want Phantasy Star 2 lol.

I have never touched the genesis in my life. And all y'all talking up a couple of these games(some of which I never heard of lol) so I gotta change that soon.

I’m going to play Crusader of Centy with the Super Nintendo NSO controller because I’m ungovernable.
chiiiillllll

To be honest I'd be surprised if we got more N64 game than the road map tbh. At least on this Switch. I know like 40 slots were data mined before they scrubbed the data but they aren't guaranteed in my opinion.

It'll take awhile (well onto the next hardware) but they'll keep adding more, even to NES and SNES. The strange part with N64 is that Japan still has six games scheduled for this year (albiet one of them is GoldenEye, as they skipped it in January). Are they going to return to one a month starting in July to get it done? I don't want to humor the posibility of a delay because that'd be ridiculous for a service like this.

4LhFiXs.png

It'll take awhile (well onto the next hardware) but they'll keep adding more, even to NES and SNES. The strange part with N64 is that Japan still has six games scheduled for this year (albiet one of them is GoldenEye, as they skipped it in January). Are they going to return to one a month starting in July to get it done? I don't want to humor the posibility of a delay because that'd be ridiculous for a service like this.

4LhFiXs.png

NOA still has four N64 games scheduled for 2023. Obviously plans can change, but we've only had two updates so far this year so we should start seeing some action soon (hopefully lol)

Other than the launch of the service, this is easily the best month they’ve had (last month was pretty great too).

Landstalker’s spiritual successor is Alundra. Maybe Sony will get that on the premium lineup for next month.

4LhFiXs.png
Inb4 MP3/PS2 and 1080/Excitebike get paired up as dual releases and we’re back on track for September for new announcements

Nintendo should go back to the weekly shop update day and then just piecemeal these bigger drops. Make the service feel like it’s constantly being updated even if it isn’t. Of course they should be doing more each month then now (no reason to not have an N64 game and multiple GB/GBA a month on top of Genesis and NES/SNES), but at least trick us into thinking we are getting a lot.

There's still some heavy hitters like DK64 and Smash 64 left on N64, and that's before we get into potentially Rare-licensed games like DKR and Banjo-Tooie.

This update seems cool tho!

I can't remember when or where I came across Crusaders of Centy, but it became one of those retro titles I'd missed out on and decided I might give a go sometime.

An excellent selection. I'm really gonna have to have a think about when and how to get around to more of the NSO titles.

This was unexpected this month. So on June we got GB/NES/SNES update, GBA update and Genesis update. That would leave us with just a GBA or N64 game for July. Hopefully two of them given that June was very packed NSO wise.

Is Crusaders of Centry in Europe nso named Soleil? Can't check right now. My favourite Mega Drive game.
The English language version is the Genesis one, so that's called Crusader of Centy.

If you enable the non-English games the French/German/Spanish versions are called Soleil.

I played a little bit of Crusader of Centy last night, and you can jump in and out of the toilet.

I can see why it has such a strong reputation.

Awesome list, all bangers

i think the Genesis app might have the strongest lineup of any of the VC apps now, barring maybe SNES or GBA

worth noting that while Ghouls n' Ghosts is technically a 3rd-party game. it was actually ported to the system (alongside Strider, which has been on the app since launch) by SEGA themselves. notably being programmed by future Sonic creator Yuji Naka.

The strange part with N64 is that Japan still has six games scheduled for this year (albiet one of them is GoldenEye, as they skipped it in January).
yeah, Goldeneye has been pushed back in Japan for months now due to ratings board issues.

Back
Top Bottom