• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion 5 years ago today Nintendo announced they rebooted Metroid Prime 4

In 5 years we‘ll look back at this thread and be surprised how naive we‘ve been to expect Prime 4 to release in this decade.

I’m gonna be honest. I’m a Metroid superfan as much as anyone else, but Dread and Prime Remastered made it so it truly doesn’t feel like it’s been 5 years since the development reboot.

It’s time for us to start seeing stuff and get concrete release details, but if that happens sometime this year, I can’t say that the wait has been particularly grueling.

Want an oral history of what went into hiring Namco to make Prime 4 if they were actually the dev making the original game.

Hard to think of many devs less suited to this game instead of hiring a rando western dev.
Nintendo to Namco when Retro Studios can't get out a game in 10 years

perhaps_i_treated_you_too_harshly.jpg

I’m gonna be honest. I’m a Metroid superfan as much as anyone else, but Dread and Prime Remastered made it so it truly doesn’t feel like it’s been 5 years since the development reboot.

It’s time for us to start seeing stuff and get concrete release details, but if that happens sometime this year, I can’t say that the wait has been particularly grueling.
Will you still feel like that if Metroid Prime 4 gets cancelled./s

I feel the same way, in all honesty. Dread's release made the wait super bearable, and I haven't hard coped or malded since. Prime Remastered was icing on the cake (and how delicious that icing was). Add to that the fact that a five year development is a pretty reasonable expectation for a modern AAA game, and I'm surprised some people enter doomer territory and claim MP4 is vaporware, never coming out, or some other such absurdity. Folks just gotta chill and #TTP.

I’m still hoping we get a Prime 2 and 3 remastered release before Prime 4. It would be great to play through the entire trilogy on Switch. Bonus points if they want to throw us an extra bone and give us Hunters as well.

The latest was that we suspect Prime 2 and 3 will not get as big a upgrade as 1, right?

If so, I'd not be surprised if they were released together, Prime 2 & 3 on the same cart.
Does that seem realistic?

The latest was that we suspect Prime 2 and 3 will not get as big a upgrade as 1, right?

If so, I'd not be surprised if they were released together, Prime 2 & 3 on the same cart.

Prime 1 was an expensive and time consuming remake that only sold OK and was probably only made because Prime 4 was in pre-production. Prime 2 and 3 are much less popular games and it's not clear what dev would make them if Nintendo decided to do this.

I'm expecting them separately. I thought about maybe them getting a physical release together, like Pikmin 1 and 2, but that makes less sense. I think they'll be separate and digital-only.

Prime 1 was an expensive and time consuming remake that only sold OK and was probably only made because Prime 4 was in pre-production. Prime 2 and 3 are much less popular games and it's not clear what dev would make them if Nintendo decided to do this.
I know we dunno what developers would be making them, but I just remember there being talks, I forget from where, that they had been given to someone else when Retro took over Prime 4. But I dunno how much of that is suspected to be 'correct', hah.

I'm expecting them separately. I thought about maybe them getting a physical release together, like Pikmin 1 and 2, but that makes less sense. I think they'll be separate and digital-only.
Nooo, they better not be Digital-Only, I demand to have all the main Primes Physically on the Switch, just like Pikmin -w-

I know we dunno what developers would be making them, but I just remember there being talks, I forget from where, that they had been given to someone else when Retro took over Prime 4. But I dunno how much of that is suspected to be 'correct', hah.

Nooo, they better not be Digital-Only, I demand to have all the main Primes Physically on the Switch, just like Pikmin -w-
It would be nice, but I'm expecting the bare minimum - just enough to get the trilogy on Switch to prepare people for 4. I have been wrong before though - I thought the remaster of Prime would outsell the original, but apparently it has not done that? Do we know where it's at now?

I like how you know the budget and how successful prime remastered was for Nintendo without any data

They cobbled together a remaster for pikmin 1 and 2 despite them selling similar amounts, don't see why they wouldn't for prime 2/3

I like how you know the budget and how successful prime remastered was for Nintendo without any data

2-3 years of labor in Austin Texas is really expensive, spoilers.

Especially when you add on the 6 support studios Retro had helping them.

They cobbled together a remaster for pikmin 1 and 2 despite them selling similar amounts, don't see why they wouldn't for prime 2/3

They could just do very basic emulator dumps, sure.

Everything changed after Dread and things haven't been the same ever since. The frustration, the torment, THE PAIN... it's all gone.

Metroid Dread is in captivity
My soul is at peace

The game is never coming out
because I'm gonna super glue it to my Switch 2 cartridge slot. It's not leaving. No need for any other game... ever 😁

Back
Top Bottom