• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Music 40,000+ works from 1926 and over 10,000 sound recordings will become public domain on Jan. 1, 2022 in the U.S.

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him
In just 15 days, a wide variety of works (not including sound recordings which have a separate copyright law) from 1926 will enter the US public domain. These include A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh, Felix Salter's Bambi, Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises, Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, the composition of Puccini's opera Turandot (and the aria Nessun Dorma) and the sheet music for Gershwin's Someone To Watch Over Me among many others. HathiTrust says 42,000 works will be newly unlocked next year

For the first time ever, sound recordings will be entering the public domain. The Music Modernization Act provided a pathway for pre-1972 sound recordings to have their copyrights expire as before the MMA, a patchwork of state laws essentially meant very old sound recordings would remain in copyright indefinitely. Now, pre-1923 sound recordings like Fanny Brice's 1921 record "Second Hand Rose" (the song would be revived by Barbra Streisand in 1965) will finally be free for anyone to use, remix or reuse. Definitely a boon to streamers.
1923 sound recordings will enter the public domain on January 1, 2024. Sound recordings from 1923-1946 will have a five year transition period after the underlying composition enters the public domain (all musical compositions published in 1923 entered the public domain on Jan. 1, 2019).

As far as film, 1926 marks the beginning of the transition to sound pictures. The first commercially viable sound picture, The Jazz Singer, wouldn't be until 1927, but synchronized music was included on a few 1926 films like Don Juan. Vitaphone and Movietone were competing technologies.

Really cool seeing more stuff enter the public domain. Expect a few Winnie the Pooh projects to start materializing soon (suck it, disney).

Well, Steamboat Willie is about to fall into the public domain in just two more years. So I take it these and the ones falling into the Public Domain next year will be the final ones we'll be seeing for the time coming?

Well, Steamboat Willie is about to fall into the public domain in just two more years. So I take it these and the ones falling into the Public Domain next year will be the final ones we'll be seeing for the time coming?
I think we'll get everything up to the early 1930s. Mickey Mouse has had several iterations and he's a trademark too. Hollywood probably wants to keep the early sound pictures like 1931's Frankenstein under copyright, but we'll see if there is any movement.

There won't be another copyright extension. A force greater than disney has a interest in the public domain growing, big tech.

The time of the last extension companies mined that era dry for stuff to resell, so without a financial reason and likely even harsher criticism of any attempt to extend it I don't see any extension happening.

There won't be another copyright extension. A force greater than disney has a interest in the public domain growing, big tech.
Not to mention the video game industry, graphic and marketing companies.

There will be too many hands protecting the copyright laws this time around and wanting a piece of Disney monopoly of old intellectual properties.

10 more days until the first Pooh book enters public domain. Also many pre-1923 sound recordings that the Library of Congress will make free to download.

Back
Top Bottom