• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News 3DS and Wii U Online Functionality ending April 2024

Aww, does this mean that the 3DS internet browser will stop working too? I think it does an online version check whenever you start it up. :(

I'm hoping it will. I know you could use it to sign in on wifi captive portals with some trickery, so it probably doesn't strictly depend on the online check.

200w.gif
The end of an era.

So with this the only online services available from Nintendo starting May 2024 will be for the Switch?
Assuming the next system doesn’t come out before then, yes. Apart from Pokémon Bank, for now.

Going to have to play some Fire Emblem Fates to grind out more of the battle/visit items.

It'll be sad once Pokemon Bank does finally go down though, whenever that ends up being. Any Pokemon on those old games will be trapped in them. I have a few random shinies that I found in the gen 3 games that I should probably send forward, but I actually need to play through a gen 4 game to unlock Pal Park, none of my copies currently have completed save files.

I also have a Toys R Us Arceus that I intentionally left back there so I could repeat the Sinjoh Ruins event in Heartgold, going to have to finally send that forward then too.

This sucks....but I suppose it was inevitable.

Original Wii U MK8, Splatoon and even earlier this year with Xenoblade Chronicles X was really fun.

3DS had underrated online like Kid Icarus Uprising and Luigi's Mansion 2/Dark Moon too.

Definitely going to crash a Splatoon turf war lobby sometime next year before it gets shutdown.

Seems like Pokemon Bank will be preserved at least. Definitely a bummer that games like Mario Maker will be essentially non-functional after this update though. I never did try the online multiplayer in Kid Icarus Uprising either...
Definitely give KI:U a shot if you get a chance. I'm not sure if it's still active but there will probably be a minor surge in interest with this news. The light vs. dark multiplayer was a lot of fun and had Sakura's trademark excellent game feel and balance.

Need to organize a federation force play through (and triforce heroes but am convinced it works better as a solo “puzzle” typer game)
Ah man, I didn't even think of Tri Force Heroes. I guess the option is still there for local multiplayer...maybe? Does that work without online functionality? I'm not really sure how local multiplayer works on 3DS, I suppose...

Quoted by: Tye
Ah man, I didn't even think of Tri Force Heroes. I guess the option is still there for local multiplayer...maybe? Does that work without online functionality? I'm not really sure how local multiplayer works on 3DS, I suppose...
Yeah, local wireless multiplayer will still work, and honestly it’s the best way to play Tri Force Heroes if you have two other friends to play with in person. That game was probably my single favorite co-op experience ever.

In general local wireless play will still be available for games that support it indefinitely, regardless of the online service being shut down. That’s one of the great things about local wireless play.

Image, you are being the one responsible that killing the multiplayer mode of Kid Icarus Uprising. Would you be able to forgive yourself?

Yeah, local wireless multiplayer will still work, and honestly it’s the best way to play Tri Force Heroes if you have two other friends to play with in person. That game was probably my single favorite co-op experience ever.

In general local wireless play will still be available for games that support it indefinitely, regardless of the online service being shut down. That’s one of the great things about local wireless play.
That's great to hear, thank you for the info! I can really imagine how TFH would shine in local multiplayer. I played it at launch with random people online and had mostly a really good experience with other players, and really loved my time with the game.

Back
Top Bottom