• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion 25 years ago today, Metal Gear Solid released in Japan

Mekanos

300 Years Of Gyudon
Pronouns
he/they

This is quite literally my favorite game of all time and had a profound impact on me. I'll never forget being sick in bed and beating the whole thing in one night, I was absolutely hooked. The soundtrack, the performances, the atmosphere, it all resonated hard with me.

Here's to another 25 years!

Shame about the upcoming "Master Collection". The games deserved better. Anyway...

The first game was amazing, and I've played it to death, just like the playable demo that came with the Official PlayStation Magazine (UK).

I don’t think I’ve ever played another game which nailed its atmosphere and vibe to the level of MGS.

Yeah, funny story: I actually played Twin Snakes first. I liked it, but I wasn't super into it. Years later I booted up MGS1 on a whim, thinking maybe I'd play it for a little bit just to compare... but the moment I heard that Policenauts jingle, I was spellbound. I did all the VR missions, listened to all the tapes, started the game, and the rest is history. It was just such a superior version to TS and really informed my belief on how important it is to have the context for the original work when you're doing an adaptation, remake, or anything like that.

I have mixed feelings on the gameplay and the story doesn't become good until a few hours in. However, there's no denying how cool this game is, or that it's one of the best looking games of its time. I still think it's crazy how naturally the first few MGS games blended political intrigue and complex psychological themes with funny quirky moments and over the top characters so perfectly and in a way that works so well, no two contrasting elements ever feel at odds with one another. It all feels so effortless. Probably the best voice acting in gaming comes from this series.

I started this like a gazillion times at my cousin's place but didn't finish it until much later and somehow its impact wasn't diminished one bit.

This trailer was on a demo disc too. It blew my bloody mind!

Played it for the first time on original hardware in 2018, game is amazing and the series became one of my favorite of all time

If I was surprised that MGSV was 8 years ago, MGS1 was already 25 years ago. 1998, so it was still the 20th century in Heisei. I was 35 years old.

Crazy but at the same I feel like it was even longer than that given how ground breaking and legendary this game is.

It blew my... about 16 years old self's mind when I first played it in 2011 or 2012.
Then I played MGS 2 and it was even better...
Somehow didn't love 3 as much (still wonderful though of course), 4 just didn't click for me, but 5 is the real deal, gameplay wise. Still unmatched to this day apart from BOTW/TOTK.

Legendary series.

Absolutely legendary game that has aged like fine wine
It's still as fascinating and captivating today as it has ever been. The story is so, so good, with everything a great story has going for it - the script, the performances, the characters, the plot pacing, everything is so well executed. In my opinion, Master Miller pulling down his hair is an all-time great in video game plot twists. I also love when Meryl asks Snake for his real name, which is a really touching moment. The level design could've been better, but otherwise, I think the gameplay is still really good. Also, the OST is one of my favourite OST's. It fits perfectly with the cold, dark, Alaskan winter setting they were going for.

A true classic.

The best game I ever rented from Blockbuster.
Made me obsessed with all of Kojima's games since. The first game felt like the perfect mix of all the elements to me. Still in my top 5 games of all time.

Always loved that Kojima designed the MGS1 map by building legos

Awesome game. Fantastic atmosphere, cool story and some great little tricks.

The Psycho Mantis will forever be great

Back
Top Bottom