• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion 25 years ago, The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time released

Mekanos

Physically Repellant
Pronouns
he/they

November 21st, 1998 is the release date for Ocarina Of Time in Japan, which brings us to now, 25 years later. It was the first 3D game in the Legend Of Zelda series. It became the best selling game in the series at the time of release and one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time.

Back then I didn't follow game news at all. Went to rent a game and saw a cool sword and shied logo with a name that sounded nice and got intrigued by it. Rented it.
Inserted the cartridge in and boom, best gaming experience of my life.

Damn.

I think this was the first game I actually went through the trouble of preordering. I HAD to have that gold cart.

Damn.

I think this was the first game I actually went through the trouble of preordering. I HAD to have that gold cart.
My mom got the game for my brother and I, not sure if she pre-ordered it, but we did get the gold cart, complete with the original Fire Temple theme!

While I play the 3DS version nowadays, I wonder if that gold cart still works and has all my old save files...

My appreciation for it waned a bit in the years after I had played it and other, more modern games came out. But over the last decade or so I've only grown to like it more and more with every subsequent playthrough. Not my favourite entry in the series but a very special game nonetheless. Wish a remaster of the 3DS version with some tweaks was available on newer hardware.

Ocarina of Time is a classic and extremely influential. Though I think it has gotten too much credit when people act like nothing in between its release and now has been just as influential.

I've never been a huge fan of Ocarina of Time (and Super Mario 64 for that matter) but there's no denying how influential they were for the industry. 25 years in and its impact is still being felt.

This game cemented me as a Zelda fan for the rest of life. I was too young to completely grasp the game when it came out, as I was only five, but it became such a huge staple of my life just a few years after that point. It really is just one of the best games Nintendo has made.

Good memories of this game. I remember my brother got this on his birthday and we both were so into it that I almost missed a final exam. I was just strarting the final fight and had one hour to get to school. Boy did I almost fail that course because all I kept thinking about was the ending of the game

go away this game is not 25 years old it's not
It's also the 10th anniversary of 3D World!

I could make a thread about that also but a lot of Nintendo games have their anniversary on this date and this one seems the most significant.

1998 is still the best year for video games in my opinion, so a lot of classic games have their 25th anniversary this year.

Ocarina of Time is a truly special game. For many, it’s the best game of all time. I don’t know if I’d say that at this point in my life, but it took a game with the personal impact to me of Yakuza 0 to dethrone it. Anyone know even remotely knows me knows what that game means to me.

It’s still a monumental achievement of a video game. It might not have the same impact for someone going to it for the first time ever in 2023, but its historic profundity cannot be overstated.

Happy birthday, Ocarina of Time. You are still one of the all-time best this medium has ever produced, and hopefully by your 30th anniversary, you get the nice 4K ground-up remake that you deserve.

Played the game for the first time on the GameCube when I got a bonus copy with Wind Waker. Absolutely amazing game to this day, though the 3DS version is the default go to version. Very curious if Nintendo would bother completely remaking the game down the line. Also, fun fact, the 3DS version is now almost as old as the N64 version was when that version released. How time flies!

As one would call it, THE GOAT. On top of being massively influential - almost all 3D action games, especially those made in Japan from the 00s onward, owe something to it - it's also just a bloody brilliant game in its own right after all these years.

I still remember the commercials for it.

It was such a happening. And when I first played it on my nephews N64… magic.

One of my favorite games of all time (Especially if you 1-2 Punch it with Majora's Mask), and that's not even nostaligia talking, I was an N64 kid, but I never got the chance to truly experience it until the 3DS remake came out.

This is one of the games that made gaming what we know today and it deserves every ounce of praise it gets.

I'll never forget the day.

My brother came back from La FNAC (french store) with the game in his bag (alongside books and new volumes of FLY / Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken). He started OoT and we both stayed silent as the title animation played. It was truly magical, even more than the first time we played Super Mario 64 with that weird N64 controller and the notion of 3D movement without tank controls.

I remember my older brother being super hyped for it, and I watched him play it; I thought it was the coolest thing ever at the time. Wouldn't play it myself until years later, but still. I have some vague memory of the hype.

And 25 years later I still sit on the title screen every time I start playing again. Just beautiful

HociYVRFYLLWmiX7uJJNyMc9OK9Dzbo5N-6gLTNhpaU.jpg

Ocarina might be the one single game that had the biggest impact on me as a kid. I remember asking for it for my birthday that year since I had played LTTP previously, and Ocarina blew me away completely - I had no idea games could even do a lot of the things that it did.

One big feature about the late 90s was it was so easy to just read about “the new Zelda game” in a magazine, but go into it knowing essentially nothing about it. I didn’t even know adult Link was in the game!

The dungeons, the vast world (at the time), the time skip, and that epic finale… just a masterpiece of a game.

It is a game that I didn't get around the release as I was way too pre-occupied with PlayStation games, and Metal Gear Solid in particular. When I finally did get a copy I initially had mixed feelings about it. I found what was shown in earlier screenshots far more interesting than the final product. But, as time went on I began to appreciate it more and more, to the point that it is my second-favorite 3D "traditional" Zelda title.

I do like the 3DS release in terms of fidelity and gameplay improvements, but it missed the mark when it comes to the original game's darker atmosphere; it's too colorful and the fog was gone.

I remember being a new driver and driving getting a call from my buddy who worked at Toys R' Us that the game was in and I could pick it up early that I almost crashed driving to the store, lol.

Also remember I think the teaser trailer for Star Wars Episode I dropped maybe that same day? It was that same week for sure. The internet like crashed.

In hindsight I should've bought like 10 copies of the gold cartridge version and kept 9 of them sealed.

I've never been a huge fan of Ocarina of Time (and Super Mario 64 for that matter) but there's no denying how influential they were for the industry. 25 years in and its impact is still being felt.
This is also where I am at. I skipped the N64 as a platform so I didn't grow up with the titles that were present on the N64. Now when I try playing those titles I just can't get in to them. But the effect they had and have on gaming and still do is undeniable. That said, if they are still the best game of all time is hard to say as there are so many other games that did amazing revolutionary changes in the past 25 years.

But I promised some people I will try Ocarina of Time again, so I think I will try to play it on the 3DS :D

This is also where I am at. I skipped the N64 as a platform so I didn't grow up with the titles that were present on the N64. Now when I try playing those titles I just can't get in to them. But the effect they had and have on gaming and still do is undeniable. That said, if they are still the best game of all time is hard to say as there are so many other games that did amazing revolutionary changes in the past 25 years.

But I promised some people I will try Ocarina of Time again, so I think I will try to play it on the 3DS :D
The 3DS version is definitely more approachable even if the basic skeleton of the game is the same. Some hang ups aside I consider it the definitive version of the game.

RwanLink launched their Ocarina of Time X Ghibli.

Really a sincere "Nintendo hire this guy" for me.

Also, I complain a lot about cel shading that doesn't blend well with background but this one works nice for me despite the artifacts(there's playable section in the video).

Straight up the most impactful piece of fiction I experienced in childhood. It lit my imagination ablaze. Love this game so much and admire so much about it.

I should do a playthrough of the 3DS version.

Hard to dispute OOT stands as one of the most influential games of all time and still holds up well today. Maybe one day I'll check out the decomp PC port too.

Also, I complain a lot about cel shading that doesn't blend well with background but this one works nice for me despite the artifacts(there's playable section in the video).

One of the coolest fan projects I've ever seen. I wish we could get an Ocarina of Time remake in this visual style.

I really want a OOT remake. It could do so much for the lore of the series and the game itself. Ideally it would look vibrant and alive like this, but even if they went for a different art style I'd still be happy. I just want to explore a reimagined OOT world.

Back
Top Bottom