• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic 2021 GOTY Award Tracking and Discussion |ST|

Won't be included in the count as it's all indie, but IGF have announced their nominees for the Seamus McNally Prize. Wide ranging year, sad to see no mention for Chicory at all though, not even any honourable mentions.

Unpacking
Inscryption
Cruelty Squad
Loop Hero
The Eternal Cylinder
Unsighted

Won't be included in the count as it's all indie, but IGF have announced their nominees for the Seamus McNally Prize. Wide ranging year, sad to see no mention for Chicory at all though, not even any honourable mentions.

Unpacking
Inscryption
Cruelty Squad
Loop Hero
The Eternal Cylinder
Unsighted
Having recently finished Inscryption, I'm kind of wondering if it getting so many awards and noms is mostly from people playing the first half. Don't get me wrong, the first half is AMAZING and well worth playing, but after that the game kind of fell off a cliff for me and I mostly just finished it because I felt invested enough and it was pretty short. IMO it definitely deserves some praise, but it's not GOTY material due to its back half and unimpressive story and answers.

Unpacking
Inscryption
Cruelty Squad
Loop Hero
The Eternal Cylinder
Unsighted

IGF is the most interesting ceremony imo

The developers themselves submit their games for evaluation, and it's full of gems

The Nuovo category specially is pretty interesting

By the way, Chicory actually was submitted in the 2021 one and it was nominated that year

Some games even show up before their full commercial releases. Outer Wilds won the Grand Prize back in 2015 actually!

About this year's Grand Prize nominees, I still didn't play any them (I'm playing Death's Door which is a honourable mention) but I already had Loop Hero and Unsighted on the Switch. I intend to pick Unpacking too

Last edited:
Having recently finished Inscryption, I'm kind of wondering if it getting so many awards and noms is mostly from people playing the first half. Don't get me wrong, the first half is AMAZING and well worth playing, but after that the game kind of fell off a cliff for me and I mostly just finished it because I felt invested enough and it was pretty short. IMO it definitely deserves some praise, but it's not GOTY material due to its back half and unimpressive story and answers.
Yeah, it's a game that I overall enjoy but it's very front loaded. Feel like if that first act is expanded upon then it'd be a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom