• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion 2018 vs. 2020. Which one has been the weakest Switch year so far?

The weakest year was

Votes: 24 43.6%

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Neither! (comment)

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters

ILovethegameAC

Shriekbat
Pronouns
He
Most people agree wither 2018 or 2020 were the weakest Switch years. Which one do you think was the weakest out of the 2?

well not 2020 since it had animal crossing, RF4S, clubhouse games and a bunch of other cool stuff.

2020 had Hades. I don’t think there’s anything in 2018 that I enjoyed as much as that.

I had to look up some of the releases because yeah those years were sparse. Personally, 2018's heavy hitters were Bayo 1 + 2, Tropical Freeze, and Smash Ultimate. Then 2020 was Animal Crossing, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and Xenoblade DE. 2020. Age of Calamity and 3D All Stars came out too but both of those games are mixed bags. If you're an Animal Crossing or Xenoblade guy, I can see why you'd say 2018 was worse, but imo 2018 just has more variety. If some of the 3DS games like WarioWare and the Luigi's Mansion remake were on the Switch, this wouldn't be a question, but it's close since Nintendo was still trying to support the 3DS for some reason.

Oh hell yeah, I love to bitch!

I literally only bought one game from Nintendo in the entire year for 2018. 2020 was much better by comparison.

I’m gonna go with 2020. In terms of games released, both are relatively equal, and I might even give the edge to 2020, but the complete lack of marketing and communication for the future of the console was brutal. That’s enough for me to give the nod to 2018.

Smash, Octo, and Star Allies are all very fond memories and I still replay them. 2020 was very weak for me even though I loved AC and enjoyed Origami King.

2020 was a banger year. Animal Crossing, Xenoblade DE, Paper Mario, Mario 3D Allstars, Pikmin 3, Age of Calamity, and Clubhouse Games.

And that was just the first party offerings.

2020 was the big covid year, the fact that it can compete with 2018 while the world was going to shit kind of shows how weak 2018 was.
I do think 2020 was a better year but they were both similar, port heavy years with one huge game and the best game of the year being an incredible indie game. 2018 had funky mode tho so maybe 2018 might be the best year ever.

For the sake of those who don't instantly know the entire first-party lineups of a given year. Included games that Nintendo published outside Japan. (And before you ask, I listed DLC like Xenoblade 2's Torna ~ The Golden Country but not Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion because the former got a standalone release.)

Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Dragon Quest Builders
Go Vacation
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
Kirby Star Allies
Mario Tennis Aces
Nintendo Labo: Toycon Kits 1-3
Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
The World Ends with You: Final Remix
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (limited time release)
Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm & Exercise
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
Super Mario 3D All-Stars (limited time release)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

From a first-party standpoint, I think I might have to go with 2018? It's honestly super close, but it comes down to the fact that I played more of the 2018 games than I did the 2020 games. Sorry, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but I always forget you exist.

Last edited:
At a quick glance, the (non-exhaustive) Switch highlights for each

2018:
  • New 1st party: Smash, Star Allies, Sushi Striker, Tennis Aces, Super Mario Party, Torna DLC
  • 1st party ports/remakes/remasters: Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Captain Toad, Bayo 1+2, Pokemon Let's Go
  • Notable 3rd party: Hollow Knight, Celeste, Crash trilogy, Octopath Traveler, Mega Man 11, Dark Souls Remastered, Katamari Reroll, Wolfenstein 2

2020:
  • New 1st party: New Horizons, Origami King, Age of Calamity, Clubhouse Games, Mario 35
  • 1st party ports/remakes/remasters: Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX, 3D All-Stars, Part-Time UFO (ported from mobile)
  • Notable 3rd party: Hades, Persona 5 Strikers, Shantae and the Seven Sirens, Catherine Full Body, Crysis Remastered, Ori 2, Doom Eternal

On the whole, I'd say I enjoyed 2020 more than 2018, but looking at them side-by-side, it's not quite as much of a blowout as I was expecting. I think it's sorta indicative of how good a run the Switch has had that I can say 2018 was both its weakest year but also a pretty decent one all things considered.

2018:
  • New 1st party: Smash, Star Allies, Sushi Striker, Tennis Aces, Super Mario Party, Torna DLC
  • 1st party ports/remakes/remasters: Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Captain Toad, Bayo 1+2, Pokemon Let's Go
  • Notable 3rd party: Hollow Knight, Celeste, Crash trilogy, Octopath Traveler, Mega Man 11, Dark Souls Remastered, Katamari Reroll, Wolfenstein 2

2020:
  • New 1st party: New Horizons, Origami King, Age of Calamity, Clubhouse Games, Mario 35
  • 1st party ports/remakes/remasters: Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX, 3D All-Stars, Part-Time UFO (ported from mobile)
  • Notable 3rd party: Hades, Persona 5 Strikers, Shantae and the Seven Sirens, Catherine Full Body, Crysis Remastered, Ori 2, Doom Eternal

On the whole, I'd say I enjoyed 2020 more than 2018, but looking at them side-by-side, it's not quite as much of a blowout as I was expecting. I think it's sorta indicative of how good a run the Switch has had that I can say 2018 was both its weakest year but also a pretty decent one all things considered.
Worth noting P5S was a Japan only release in 2020, not being localized until 2021 here.
For notable releases I would add YS VIII and Blazblue CTB in 2018, and Samsho, Sakuna and Puyo Tetris 2 in 2020

For the sake of those who don't instantly know the entire first-party lineups of a given year. Included games that Nintendo published outside Japan. (And before you ask, I listed DLC like Xenoblade 2's Torna ~ The Golden Country but not Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion because the former got a standalone release.)

Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2
Dragon Quest Builders
Go Vacation
Kirby Star Allies
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party

Pikmin 3 Deluxe

From a first-party standpoint, I think I might have to go with 2018? It's honestly super close, but it comes down to the fact that I played more of the 2018 games than I did the 2020 games. Sorry, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but I always forget you exist.
If we're counting ports then Tropical Freeze + Smash Ultimate makes this a slam dunk easy answer for 2020 having the weaker lineup

I only just beat TF Switch a few days ago, but still

Can't think of either as weak to be honest.

2018 was just little bit more in line with my preferences IMO.

2020 had Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition though...

Personally I think is close since 2018 I thought was surprisingly slightly better when it comes to third party, but 2020 was slightly better when it comes to first party.

I'd go with 2020 as the worst simply because of how poorly Nintendo handled 3D All Stars, NH's updates and all the limited releases nonsense.

2020 was dire. New Horizon's was the big game and it was a big disappointment. XC DE is a nice remaster but largely the same game I played a decade prior. I don't like new paper mario games. Mario 3D all stars was a shitty HD port job, not to mention the business practices associated with it.

These were my favourite releases from these respective years:
Octopath Traveller
The Messenger
Yoku's Island Express
Celeste
Hollow Knight
GRIS
Horizon Chase Turbo
Super One More Jump
Hyper Light Drifter SE
Iconoclasts
Dead Cells
Ys VIII
Tropical Freeze

2020:
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Lonely Mountains Downhill
Clubhouse Games
Part time UFO
No More Heroes
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Spiritfarer
A Short Hike
Paradise Killer
Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity
Hades

Everything that seemed the most exciting and interesting about 2020 has aged so badly compared to 2018's offerings. I mean personally SSBU is an automatic win, an evergreen game if there ever was one, but ACNH falling off with its content so fast, Paper Mario still not even trying to attain its former greatness, Age of Calamity being practically retconned before it starts and then never quite reaching the smooth performance and replayability of the previous Hyrule Warriors. Bayo 1+2 felt like a consolation for having to wait so long for 3, but now that that happened we can see that it was the peak. Pikmin 3 was cool to get on Switch at the time but having 4 now just highlights what a let down that game was to begin with, TMS likewise was a surprising port that has been overshadowed by later Atlus RPGs, and not one but two pointlessly limited time releases from Nintendo.

I had such a good time with the Switch in 2018. I went from Hollow Knight to The Messenger to Super Mario Party and then the GOAT Super Smash Bros.

2020 was less fun.

Literally the only things I bought on Switch in 2018 was the Splatoon 2 Octoexpansion, Hollow Knight, and Mega Man 11. Yeah, it had Smash, but it was the first Smash I didn't buy... Not because it isn't an excellent game, I'm just burned out on it after two decades of basically just being more of the same.

My gut feeling was that 2020 was the weakest year, but thinking more on it, that probably has more to do with how much the pandemic sucked the life out of me.

For the sake of those who don't instantly know the entire first-party lineups of a given year
my favourite releases from these respective years
Looking over these lists, though, they reinforce my gut feeling that 2020 was weaker haha. Just Celeste and Smash propel 2018 higher for me.

Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2
Dragon Quest Builders
Go Vacation
Kirby Star Allies
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party

Pikmin 3 Deluxe

This is actually tough with it all laid out. I'm a big Xenoblade fan, and despite Torna being one of my favorite pieces of Xenoblade content I think DE's improvements to 1 along with FC edge out that category for me.

Super Mario Party and Smash Ultimate are games I got a lot of milage out of. Tropical Freeze on the Switch was my first go at it despite owning a Wii U, and it was awesome. But Clubhouse 51 Games was something I didn't expect to like as much as I did, and I'm actually a big fan of 3D All-Stars as a package - especially with how the touch-ups to Sunshine and Galaxy were handled.

This might come down to whether I ever get around to Paper Mario. It looks like a game I should really like, but I've never touched it.

There is no such thing as a bad year for Switch unless you only play first party games and nothing more.

2020 is low key one of my favorite Switch years, partly for [insert tag here] reasons, but also Hades, Bug Fables, Monster Sanctuary, Age of Calamity, XCDE, and Pikmin 3 DX. There were also a couple highlights that came out that year that I played later, like Sakuna, Immortals, and XCOM2. Basically, great year for third parties and ports

2018 had Hollow Knight, Octopath and Smash, and honestly if we're talking purely Nintendo it might still win off Smash alone for me. But as a whole it doesn't hold a candle to 2020 in my eyes

Back
Top Bottom