• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Switch Version Reviews

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him

Vanillaware has handled 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim's Switch port with the utmost care and, with some of the changes, may even be better than the PS4 version. While I was hoping that Vanillaware would go back and add in a couple of new scenes that they had previously cut out of the game, I will also happily take the changes to Destruction mode. Now that a Switch version is available, I am hoping more people will get to experience this masterpiece of modern gaming. 13 Sentinels flew under the radar on PS4, so now I'm hoping the spotlight will be on this excellent game after word of mouth has spread. If you love RPGs, have an affinity for excellent stories, are in the mood for some good brain exercise, or just looking for a nice 30-hour experience in gaming, look no further than 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

RPG Site: 100/100

There was so much room for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim to just not work. So many threads are weaved together in a way where, by far, the most likely outcome of the whole thing should have been an interesting failure. That it instead sticks the landing, weaving together a plot that has no business being this moving and satisfying, is astonishing. If you’re at all interested in visual novels, or adventure games, or science fiction, and you don’t play 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, you must be suffering from brain overload.

Hey Poor Player: 10/10

Vanillaware takes many risks with 13 Sentinels, and nearly all of them pay off — few titles can boast a story as strong, a cast as memorable, or a world as stylish as this one. My time with 13 Sentinels was nothing short of magnificent, even though its combat felt undercooked and its narrative was daunting to follow. Its refreshing handling of queer issues alone ensures its mark in genre history. 13 Sentinels is a love letter to storytelling no one should miss, and it’s one I’m anxiously hoping Vanillaware follows up on sooner rather than later.

RPG Fan: 92

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is an excellent adventure that masterfully combines interactive visual novel and battles, with a beautiful audiovisual section and a story that is a real wonder. A great experience for lovers of science fiction.

Nintenderos: 90

Ultimately, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim remains largely unchanged on Nintendo Switch minus the platform's strengths and weaknesses that exist independent of title. That's for the best, as 13 Sentinels remains one of the most intriguing releases in recent years and a game that's been slept on by a large number of people turned off by its anime or mecha-inspired origins. Underneath that coat is a resonant tale spanning generations and dealing with some interesting, innovative subject matter - and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim comes highly recommended to anyone as a result.

Screen Rant: 9/10

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is a wonderful achievement for dynamic storytelling, as it puts forth a compelling and multifaceted narrative that’ll keep you guessing right up until the very end. This excellent story, combined with enjoyable combat portions, a striking art style, and some top-notch voice acting make for an experience that you won’t want to miss out on. It’s the kind of game that’ll have you wishing that you could play it again for the first time, just so all its best elements could be new again. We’d give 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim a strong recommendation, then, to anyone who has even a passing interest in visual novels. Even if that doesn’t describe you, we’d still say to give it a shot; you might just be surprised at how well it grabs you.

Nintendo Life: 9/10

All in all, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim’s Switch release is a strong success. This game is an incredible experience that doesn’t require you to be a brilliant RTS player–but will reward you for being one. If you enjoy complex storytelling and retro anime, you’ll have a great time. If you prefer games that don’t have required reading, maybe play something else.

COGConnected: 8.8/10

Heartwarming <3

As far as I'm concerned, 13 Sentinels is a don't skip, a rare example in what happens when you actually take the leap and pull off the most insane narrative experiment you can possibly think of. We might never see a game like this ever again.

Kudos and congrats to Vanillaware, they deserve this, and I hope it opens up more eyes and ears for this ambitious endeavour.

I’m hype, plan to pick it up next week. Also one of the best rated switch games this year so far XD
2nd best only Dead Cells: The Queen and the Sea is ranked higher and it's a dlc (and also only got 4 rankings) , when it comes to standalone games it's the best ranked Switch game of the year.

It’s difficult to warn people away from 13 Sentinels without spoiling it, but I could not disagree more with the RPG Site review. The plot “twists” are a mess and deeply unsatisfying, and the misogyny/fan service is disgusting. “Yakisoba pan” memes only go so far.

I will say that it’s not as disappointing as Zero Time Dilemma.

I got the Platinum Trophy for this game on PS4 and I'm tempted to grab the Switch version.

It's fantastic, if it interests you pick it up.

I hope it sells a ton on Switch. Not only is it such a great game, if it sells enough they might be convinced to bring the rest of Vanillaware's great games to the system.

Makes me happy to see it's a great version of the game.

Stoked! Gives me another week or so to beat a couple of my ongoing games so I can dive on this at launch =)

I was already going to get this, but those reviews are praising this version more than I've expected! If this was any other year I would buy this day 1, but it'll have to wait a bit before I buy it.

I'm assuming the metascore will drop to be more in line with the previous release once more reviews come in (assuming it'll get much more in the way of reviews, considering it's a niche rerelease), but regardless this is an awesome result. Great game

Fantastic game and one of my favorite stories I've experienced in years, it's an all-timer. Especially since the performance seems to be really good, I'd now highly recommend picking this up if you're even mildly interested. Just try to go in as blind as possible.

The meta is 9 point lower than it should be but this will have to do.

Also:

Last edited:
I'm assuming the metascore will drop to be more in line with the previous release once more reviews come in (assuming it'll get much more in the way of reviews, considering it's a niche rerelease), but regardless this is an awesome result. Great game
I think it will finish a couple of points higher than the ps4 version due to the type of reviewer that would do a review of a niche game release being an enthusiast of the genre which tend to rank higher the games (which it's totally understable). (also this is type of game that if it gets good performance gets a boost in points due to being portable)

I have this preordered. It had been on my radar for years, but I was secretly hoping for a Switch port this whole time. Glad it's finally happening.

Good, the port is great.

I played it on PS4, but get in there if you haven’t yet.

This is an unnecessary and hostile reply and won't be tolerated. Please do not do post in this manner again - Donnie, Rika, blondkayvon, BozPaggs
It’s difficult to warn people away from 13 Sentinels without spoiling it, but I could not disagree more with the RPG Site review. The plot “twists” are a mess and deeply unsatisfying, and the misogyny/fan service is disgusting. “Yakisoba pan” memes only go so far.

I will say that it’s not as disappointing as Zero Time Dilemma.
Shut up.

Don’t skip this. It’s an excellent game and a story that justvkeeps getting better and better as you play.

Already bought it before the reviews but I'm even more excited to get into it now. Can't wait.

Preordered(was planning to get it but circumstances and the likeliness of a limited physical release pushed me up

Mine is pre-ordered. Never bought it on first release because I said I would wait for a Switch version like I said for Persona 5 (which I actually own but haven’t played).

One of those hopes came true lol

I am getting this soon-ish, if only because knowing Atlus they might produce a grand total of 13 physical copies. But I won't get to play it before I am done with BD2, which will be a while.

This and Triangle Strategy were two of the games I was most excited about entering this year so I'm glad both are great on the Switch. I've been a Vanillaware fan since Odin Sphere on the PS2, but 13 Sentinels was the first title I skipped since the Vita version was canceled and I didn't see the point of buying a PS4 for one game. Hopefully this will be the first of many Vanillaware titles to come to the Switch; I've got my copy preordered and have spread word of this game to everyone I know with a Switch (which isn't many, mainly my sister and a few cousins).

It's also great that all those console warriors can put their "concerns" that the Switch couldn't possibly run this game to rest.

13 Sentinels is amazing. I may double dip this game and just play it again. It is that good.

This and Triangle Strategy were two of the games I was most excited about entering this year so I'm glad both are great on the Switch. I've been a Vanillaware fan since Odin Sphere on the PS2, but 13 Sentinels was the first title I skipped since the Vita version was canceled and I didn't see the point of buying a PS4 for one game. Hopefully this will be the first of many Vanillaware titles to come to the Switch; I've got my copy preordered and have spread word of this game to everyone I know with a Switch (which isn't many, mainly my sister and a few cousins).

It's also great that all those console warriors can put their "concerns" that the Switch couldn't possibly run this game to rest.
To be fair, it think there is/was some legitimate concern around how the Switch will do with some of the later RTS portions of the game. There is a ton of stuff on screen at times, that caused even the PS4 version to chug. So I'd be curious to see how the Switch version handled that.

I am very curious about the game, but given the studio's long-running penchant for Studio Trigger-style treatment of gender (even as far back as Odin Sphere, which was my first title by them and I loved dearly for what it was), I have my reservations

Are there folks in here who could talk about the game's treatment of gender and sexuality? Extra appreciation for women or NB folks

(also if there's any weird whiffs of nationalism I'd like to hear about that too)

Play this game, it's an instant classic that tells a story full of amazing twists and crazy revelations.

Vanillaware drastically changed the gameplay style compared to their classic 2D action games, and this blend of tactical strategy and narrative sections is perfect for the game, also the art/music are great.

13 Sentinels is something special that everyone interested in mechs and crazy plot twists should experiment.

I am very curious about the game, but given the studio's long-running penchant for Studio Trigger-style treatment of gender (even as far back as Odin Sphere, which was my first title by them and I loved dearly for what it was), I have my reservations

Are there folks in here who could talk about the game's treatment of gender and sexuality? Extra appreciation for women or NB folks

(also if there's any weird whiffs of nationalism I'd like to hear about that too)

Well, as a big fan of studio trigger myself, and for that reason, I love Vanillaware’s art style, so if that is something that would bother you and take away your enjoyment, I would recommend you skip it. If his art style is a deal breaker, and it’s fair that it is to some, you know what to expect.

There are games I tried to play because everyone says how good they are, but the art style throws me off to the point it takes me out of the experience. And I’m someone that enjoys sexuality in games, but I like Vanillaware style or Heavy Metal magazine style or pin up.

But I tried to play some really well regarded dungeon crawlers and RPGs, that went towards the other direction of that cutesy rainbows and sparkles sexuality, and I just couldn’t. Shelved within ten minutes.

So many games to play, with some, I decide to not feed the backlog.

Well, as a big fan of studio trigger myself, and for that reason, I love Vanillaware’s art style, so if that is something that would bother you and take away your enjoyment, I would recommend you skip it. If his art style is a deal breaker, and it’s fair that it is to some, you know what to expect.

There are games I tried to play because everyone says how good they are, but the art style throws me off to the point it takes me out of the experience. And I’m someone that enjoys sexuality in games, but I like Vanillaware style or Heavy Metal magazine style or pin up.

But I tried to play some really well regarded dungeon crawlers and RPGs, that went towards the other direction of that cutesy rainbows and sparkles sexuality, and I just couldn’t. Shelved within ten minutes.

So many games to play, with some, I decide to not feed the backlog.
I guess more explicitly I'm asking how much the camera ogles the high schoolers

A certain degree of that is just part and parcel of the genre and the studio, but I'm wondering if it's Odin Sphere levels or, you know, something else

I guess more explicitly I'm asking how much the camera ogles the high schoolers

A certain degree of that is just part and parcel of the genre and the studio, but I'm wondering if it's Odin Sphere levels or, you know, something else
It’s less gazey than all other VW games. There are scenes that heavily imply the high schooler cast are unclothed in their mechs, and remark on it a couple times towards the beginning of the game, but then that talking point falls off as well. There is a certain plot point that contextualizes WHY they are unclothed in their mechs as well, but of course, I can totally get why that might not be enough to make up for that being in the game at all. Fwiw, as I mentioned, it’s a talking point just at the start of the game, and then it’s never really remarked on (nor does the camera do the thing other VW games do and call attention to the nudity or sexualization either).

13S has a certain character who is presented as gender fluid. They were handled surprisingly well, at the very least I didn’t see anything that felt like the game’s treatment of them was offensive or antagonizing like many other Japanese games can often feel like in this regard. The sense I got, from my very narrow and limited perspective, was that the developers were making an effort to be as respectful when approaching that content as possible (at the very least the localization gave me that sense, I couldn’t speak for what the original Japanese is like).

I want to note that 13S’ handling of this issue is not something I’ve had the chance to discuss with others. All I am saying is based on my own perspective, and my perspective on this is less valid than others’ might be. While I feel it was handled well enough, I will fully concede to others with more relevant takes on this matter who may feel that the character in question could have been handled better.

Back
Top Bottom