• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Steam “RunMan: Race Around the World”, the 2009 indie game by Tom Sennett and Maddy Thorson (Celeste). is coming to Steam.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

mainly done to promote the impending newest installment of the series. “RunMan Turbo”, which Maddy Is not working on, (it was more of a one-off collab from I can tell, previously beta-testing an earlier installment before getting more directly involved with this one.)
aside from the historical interest relating to Maddy’s involvement, you might recognize the character for appearing in Super Meat Boy.
runman_DSbXYxQ.jpg

in fact, there’s multiple characters from her older titles represented there. as Ogmo from the Jumper series was also a playable character. likely as a joke owing to the characters similarity to Meat Boy.
jumper004.png

the other devs represented in the game generally stayed at the same level of popularity (outside of maybe Derek Yu, as Spelunky was represented by the original freeware version rather than the more famous remake that launched about 2 years after Super Meat Boy.) but this wasn’t always the case. as Edmund McMillen wanted to include the monitor man from “Mondo Medicals” (bottom right image) as a playable character.

the developer of that, Jonatan Söderström. would go on to found Dennaton Games and create the hugely popular Hotline Miami series.

As Ogmo from the Jumper series was also a playable character. likely as a joke owing to the characters similarity to Meat Boy.
jumper004.png
Well, more like Meat Boy's similarity to Ogmo. Thorson had McMillen beat by 4 years. It was a nice way for him to give her some credit. It's more than just the characters that are similar.

I'm a huge fan of those early Thorson games. I hope they add Untitled Story to Steam next so more people can get a chance to play it.

This is cool. I tried to play this years ago, but it would always crash pretty quickly. It definitely started, I remember the bluegrass music, but I couldn't get anywhere. It's nice that they haven't been forgotten, I think these old Maddy Thorson games are a pretty important part of the genre's history.

Back
Top Bottom