• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

TV ‘The Sopranos’: WarnerMedia In Talks With David Chase About HBO Max Prequel Series

E

Emily

The-Sopranos.jpeg

According to Ann Sarnoff, WarnerMedia and HBO Max are having discussions about possibly creating a prequel TV series to "The Sopranos". If the TV series were to be greenlighted, the story would likely take place after the film ("The Many Saints of Newark") and before the original 1999 series ("The Sopranos").

Ann Sarnoff, CEO, Studios and Networks, WarnerMedia, told Deadline that the company was “thrilled” with the results of The Many Saints of Newark.

“We’re talking to David about a new series, Sopranos related, on HBO Max,” she said.

Chase said that if he was to return to The Sopranos world, any such potential story would take place after the film, which is set in the late 1960s and 1970s and before the original series, which starts around 1998. “There’s only one way that I would do it, and that was if Terry [Winter] and I could write the script together. That I would do.”

Sarnoff admitted that a final decision as to whether the project becomes a series or a feature film has not been made, but a Sopranos prequel series is an intriguing possibility.
She conceded that the box office numbers for The Many Saints of Newark, which stars Alessandro Nivola as Dickie Moltisanti and James Gandolfini’s son Michael Gandolfini as a young Tony Soprano, were not quite as big as the company would have liked, but pointed to the demographics of the people returning to movie theaters as one reason. She added that the film had a positive effect on the show, which launched on HBO in 1999.

“You see The Sopranos pop into the top ten of viewed series on the service and it’s given it an entirely new life,” she said. “It’s literally lifted all of The Sopranos franchise in a new way. You can’t measure just by the box office.”

Sarnoff’s comments come after Chase signed a five-year, first-look deal with WarnerMedia that covers film and TV across HBO, HBO Max and Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

Source: Deadline

I would definitely watch a prequel series with all the actors from Newark. I didn't realize how much I missed these characters until I watched the movie. And Gandolfini's son just nailed it as a young Tony Soprano.

I'm IN for more Sopranos. Newark as not been released where i live but i'm very excited.

If this is confirmed i hope that Chase can bring the original team of writers and directors.

I’m down for more I enjoyed Saints of Newark I just hope they cut down the fan service.

Back
Top Bottom