• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

TV ‘Cowboy Bebop’ Canceled By Netflix After One Season

Animation and live-action are different versions of the same medium (television/film). Comic books are a different medium entirely without motion, sound, etc. Fundamentally, what is accomplished by a live-action version that isn't accomplished by its animated counterpart? Especially in television where you will always have to make compromises thanks to the budget.

Speed Racer is the only live action anime adaptation where I felt it actually brought something to it the original didn't have with its bombastic direction.
If the argument is about live-action adaptations of animated shows/movies that have no print source material, such as Cowboy Bebop or Avatar, then I would agree that they may not be adding anything new that wasn't or couldn't be explored in the original medium. But I also don't think that makes live-action inherently bad. A faithful adaptation isn't automatically a bad one, or even necessarily a pointless one. Sometimes the only point is to entertain you.

But my question was more broad, since the mood of this thread seems to be that any live-action adaptation of anime is going to be bad, because that's just how it works. But I'm not really seeing an innate difference between live-action adaptations of American comic books and live-action adaptations of Japanese comic books, and why only that first group can have good movies.

If the argument is about live-action adaptations of animated shows/movies that have no print source material, such as Cowboy Bebop or Avatar, then I would agree that they may not be adding anything new that wasn't or couldn't be explored in the original medium. But I also don't think that makes live-action inherently bad. A faithful adaptation isn't automatically a bad one, or even necessarily a pointless one. Sometimes the only point is to entertain you.

But my question was more broad, since the mood of this thread seems to be that any live-action adaptation of anime is going to be bad, because that's just how it works. But I'm not really seeing an innate difference between live-action adaptations of American comic books and live-action adaptations of Japanese comic books, and why only that first group can have good movies.
I think one of the issues when it comes to translating animation to live action is how characterization is told through animation. Animating single frames is expensive and time consuming, so animation makes the most out of key frames that convey expressions and body language, this is especially the case for anime which is infamous for limited animation and holding poses for long periods of time. The physicality of this doesn't always translate to live action; compare Jet to Spike, whereas Jet is Netflix Bebop is almost universally praised for being accurate to the anime, Spike's portrayal is more divisive. There's a lot of reasons for this but one of the biggest I think is Jet was very much the "straight man" of the Bebop crew, so his physical expression and gestures were much less exaggerated compared to someone like Spike, who had so much characterization conveyed through the way he walks, poses, fights, etc. And attempts to draw on the more exaggerated nature of physical acting in anime can come across as campy.

Now, you can tell by my avatar, I am a fan of Kamen Rider. I am no stronger to campy live action effects-driven shows. But those shows are also designed from the ground up with those limitations in mind.

As for the differences between adapting American comic books and manga, I think one of the biggest is American superhero comics don't really have a linear narrative. There's smatterings of books across decades with wildly different writers, stories, and tones. Characters like Batman and Spider-Man have had such a wide variety of portrayals that adaptations can draw from multiple sources, mix and match, and feel like their own thing while staying true to the source material. Most ongoing manga is more serialized in general, with a clearly defined narrative. This means adaptations tend to stick closer to the manga's story beats and narrative, which will constantly draw comparisons. Manga adaptations in Japan are also usually done mostly to promote the brand and bring up merchandise sales, which is why most will stick to anime, because it's cheaper and easier to translate to animation. Live action adaptations of manga tend to be rather slapdash and done just to promote the brand, like Fullmetal Alchemist and JoJo. There are exceptions I'm sure, I've heard the Kenshin movie is good (which makes sense as a straightforward samurai story would be much easier to adapt), but very rarely do these studios put people in charge who want to tell a hand crafted story, but instead often just something to promote brand synergy.

tl;dr, manga adaptations tend to stick to anime and that's where the quality is, most live action manga adaptations are hastily made to make some easy money.

There's been a lot of stinkers no doubt, but I can't subscribe to the idea that live-action anime is inherently bad or can't ever be successful.

I mean, when you get down to it, what's the difference between a live-action adaptation of an anime and a comic book movie?

Also Oldboy (the South Korean one, haven't seen the Spike Lee one) was pretty great.
The main differences are budget and the fact that most anime and manga are a lot more outlandish/fantastical than American comic books

American comic books are probably unusually well suited to adaptation in general, with their constant self-reinvention.

Specifically on the subject of anime/manga adaptations, though, while a good live action adaptation is probably something that's possible, more often then not they tend to get made in unfavorable conditions and often feel like they're made by the sort of people who view animation as a lesser medium.

I'd say bummer, but I've seen live action Radical Edward. The prospect of more live action Radical Edward terrifies me, so I'm glad the show ended before it came to that.

For those that HAVEN'T Seen live action Ed, well...

at the end of the day, this just proves that it's important that live action one piece sticks to the Manga as 1:1 as much as possible

I really enjoyed it, out of all the anime live action adaptions this one was pretty decent and did a lot of work changing problematic story elements from the original and evolving the characters and story to move past the original show and have a more compelling and fun story.

But they didn't really hit a lot of the vibes they needed to hit and a lot of the acting and writing felt very goofy at times rather then noir and serious apart from one episode with Jet.

I'm disappointed, I would had given this the Netflix two season try just so they could wrap it up. For what it was in a sea of terrible live action adaptations, this is probably going to be a prime example for a while of a show doing a good job.

But man if Cowboy Bebop of all animes couldn't last more then a single season, how in the hell will One Piece get a pass?
And isn't a Naruto adaption in the works too last I heard?

Sounds to me that Netflix just really doesn't want to give anime a chance unless it's a breakout success. But honestly it's very weird to see the show canned so early on. How are they even doing the metrics for this show?

I really enjoyed it, out of all the anime live action adaptions this one was pretty decent and did a lot of work changing problematic story elements from the original and evolving the characters and story to move past the original show and have a more compelling and fun story.

But they didn't really hit a lot of the vibes they needed to hit and a lot of the acting and writing felt very goofy at times rather then noir and serious apart from one episode with Jet.

I'm disappointed, I would had given this the Netflix two season try just so they could wrap it up. For what it was in a sea of terrible live action adaptations, this is probably going to be a prime example for a while of a show doing a good job.

But man if Cowboy Bebop of all animes couldn't last more then a single season, how in the hell will One Piece get a pass?
And isn't a Naruto adaption in the works too last I heard?

Sounds to me that Netflix just really doesn't want to give anime a chance unless it's a breakout success. But honestly it's very weird to see the show canned so early on. How are they even doing the metrics for this show?
Show ratings cratered after the first week. Netflix gives almost all shows a second season so ratings and WOM would have to be really bad to get canceled.

Back
Top Bottom