• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware Will Nintendo Stick with the Hybrid Nature of the Switch, or will they split their handheld and console divisions again?

Hidden04

Like Like
Banned
Pronouns
He/Him
I have been thinking about how successful the Nintendo Switch has been, and I have been wondering if Nintendo will continue the hybrid format of the Switch. We know about how they combined their handheld and console divisions, broke away from the Wii branding, and changed their marketing strategy to appeal to a wider audience.

Do you think that Nintendo will stick with the hybrid nature of their console, or will they pull a Nintendo move and spilt their divisions again?

Feel free to speculate.

Next to zero chance their handheld and console divisions are split going forward. Nintendo saw where the industry was going years ago which is why they consolidated the way they did then, and clearly the market has rewarded them. There really isn’t any going back.

Why on Earth would they willingly walk away from something that's been a roaring success?

Why on Earth would they willingly walk away from something that's been a roaring success?
Only thing i could think about was to have a more powerful console, the switch has been struggling forever and modern ports are running terrible on it, wonder how long they can keep a weak console on the market

Nah they're not going to split their handheld and console divisions again.

They may not always stick to a hybrid though. I could see them doing stuff with a home console and a cloud console or something like that one day in the future but they will still absolutely share the same software ecosystem.

Considering that Nintendo achieved a huge amount of success with the hybrid console concept with the Nintendo Switch, I think Nintendo would be downright idiotic to go back to having separate home console and handheld console divisions again.

Hybrid. Nintendo is NEVER going back to stationary consoles unless...

(1) They make a console that is super high end like an Apple Mac Pro and we know that's not happening or...
(2) This stationary console has a feature that is essential that cannot be replicated by a portable.

I just wanted them to give a better hardware option for people that plays on tv only. The same games with improved resolution, better loading, better draw distance...

The decision of having all the hardwares belonging to the same ecosystem is the right thing to do... I don't see them changing this.
But please, I don't want to PAY FOR A SCREEN THAT I DON'T USE anymore Nintendo....Please, fix this...XD

Last edited:
There should definitely be a poll on this topic, haha. That said, I don't see them ever shifting from this model again. If there is a future for Nintendo beyond the Switch concept, I doubt it's hardware-related. But, they're pretty good at surprising me, so we'll see.

Only thing i could think about was to have a more powerful console, the switch has been struggling forever and modern ports are running terrible on it, wonder how long they can keep a weak console on the market
Despite what us enthusiasts on forums think, the general public doesn't really care about performance enough to actually tank sales. The 360/PS3 era was chock full of games that ran like garbage, but people still bought them in droves. The Switch is on pace to easily whup the PS4 in total sales, and is still competitive with the new consoles in both hardware and software sales. Nintendo will replace the Switch when it needs to be replaced, not when people on the internet say so.

They may not always stick to a hybrid though. I could see them doing stuff with a home console and a cloud console or something like that one day in the future but they will still absolutely share the same software ecosystem.
At this point, why have a home console? Once streaming is viable for Nintendo I'm sure that it'll be the only way to play.

Come to think of it :unsure: Nintendo may go back to the Wii U model and create a stand alone console and have the controller be a Swich-like device that is fully portable.

Main reason why they merged their platforms is because they couldn't effectively support two different platforms in same time,
so split them again in time where game development takes more resources than ever before, doesn't make any sense.

Nintendo doesn't really care about power if console is selling, and they will definitely not a ditch hybrid nature because power when Switch is still like crazy and will be 2nd best selling Nintendo hardware ever despite "has been struggling forever and modern ports are running terrible on it".

Wait, what does this mean exactly?

Think of the Switch as it is right now, but when you dock it, it interfaces with another more powerful device that is like a traditional console and provides a second screen to interface with. Both will be sold together. Kind like a Wii U where the controller is fully portable.

Think of the Switch as it is right now, but when you dock it, it interfaces with another more powerful device that is like a traditional console and provides a second screen to interface with. Both will be sold together. Kind like a Wii U where the controller is fully portable.
So the home console would be sort of like an eGPU? And there's a separate "Wii U gamepad" from the "Switch" that comes with it?

So the home console would be sort of like an eGPU? And there's a separate "Wii U gamepad" from the "Switch" that comes with it?

No, it would be a full console just like the Wii U with its own separate GPU/CPU. But the controller would be exactly like the Switch as it would have its own SOC. Again, think of the Wii U, but instead the Wii Pad has its own SOC.

The only reason that could make any sense in that regard is to improve the velocity of their hardware output - having big budget titles à la BOTW for home consoles and lower and middle ones like ALBW for handheld, thus maximizing their releases thanks to those lower and middle budget games. That would be the logic. But I think that is a logic that only applies to past times - I can not see a foreseable future where Nintendo releases a handheld that it is not an HD console. What does that mean? That their bottleneck (games that must go to those sweet 720/1080p) is going to remain there. Nintendo not having to achieve HD output was the main reason their releases were more frequent for the 3DS and all the consoles before that, but since they adapted to HD gaming, budgets and time constrains have gone way up higher. So splitting the userbase to trying to maximize gaming releases in vain would not be precisely their best idea ever.

there is no going back. Especially considering how AI-assisted programming and asset creation is taking off. Nintendo will be fine always having less powerful hardware than Sony or Microsoft.

Come to think of it the regular and OLED Switch (joycons and the Joycon shell) minus the dock (but not the Lite) could become a future controller for the Wii U2.

At this point, why have a home console? Once streaming is viable for Nintendo I'm sure that it'll be the only way to play.
Once streaming is viable globally, sure. But until then it'll most likely only be viable in certain areas in the largest markets. So they'll probably need a stop-gap or two along the way.

No, it would be a full console just like the Wii U with its own separate GPU/CPU. But the controller would be exactly like the Switch as it would have its own SOC. Again, think of the Wii U, but instead the Wii Pad has its own SOC.
So two Switches? A home Switch and a portable Switch, that connect wirelessly? Are you proposing Wii U style two-screen play?

They really have no choice but to stick with hybrid. With HD development they simply can’t support two platforms at the same time. Imagine taking the Switch’s library and cutting it in half.

Even if Nintendo abandons the hybrid idea, it'll be in the other direction, making a dedicated handheld.

Home consoles have practically been always a gamble at best for Nintendo while handhelds are at worst still a home run

Move away from the hybrid model, I'd argue is extremely unlikely.

Maintain backwards compatibility, that might be tougher to gauge. Nintendo might attempt to keep it but if Nvidia breaks compatibility with their chips, might be a lot harder to let Switch 1 games be playable on Switch 2/3

So two Switches? A home Switch and a portable Switch, that connect wirelessly? Are you proposing Wii U style two-screen play?

No, not two Switches. Think of Nintendo's next console being a standalone stationary console that comes with a dock-less OLED Switch as the controller. You will mount the Switch in that system on a Wii U like dock where you can fully see the screen and charge it. It would still be a hybrid because Nintendo wont sell the stand-alone console by itself because the Switch IS the controller.

Hybrid will be a part of Nintendo platforms for a long time in the future, but I can see them dropping the tabletop play mode. People either go for docked or handheld mode, tabletop is nothing but a cool extra. Attachable joycons makes the system fragile and I'm hoping they replace the thing with better gimmick next gen. Joycons will stay, probably, as non-attachable "Wiimotes".

We can't know for sure what Nintendo's long term plans for their system are but there is no way they will ever split their development teams into two divisions ever again. It is tough enough supporting one system as much as they do, let alone two different ecosystems.

I admit, I wouldn't mind if Nintendo creates a handheld type device next to something like a "main" console like the Switch. For portability reasons or even just to experiment with certain functions like other types of screens or controlling things or something.

The cances of that happening ar very slim to none though. At least for the near future.

Makes no sense to go back to developing for two (technically three with mobile) different ecosystems.

I just wanted them to give a better hardware option for people that plays on tv only. The same games with improved resolution, better loading, better draw distance...

The decision of having all the hardwares belonging to the same ecosystem is the right thing to do... I don't see them changing this.
But please, I don't want to PAY FOR A SCREEN THAT I DON'T USE anymore Nintendo....Please, fix this...XD

If they take out the screen it’s going to be for a cheaper SKU, not a more powerful one.

Makes no sense to go back to developing for two (technically three with mobile) different ecosystems.

If they take out the screen it’s going to be for a cheaper SKU, not a more powerful one.
I didn't phrase it on a good way but, if they released some pro model, I would be happier if they provided a cheaper option as some components like screen, speakers and battery wouldn't be needed.

I mean we have a handheld only switch, all the hardware will run the same OS and have the same chips, the form-factor will just change no different to iPhone, iPad etc. Does that mean we also get a home console only sku? Maybe, but the halo product will always be the hybrid which is here to stay, I would think.

Let's say the next Nintendo console is called the "NES7". We could have been playing games on the NES7's future controller all this time 😲 The NES7 is a stand-alone beastly console with the Switch as a controller. Maybe the analyst who predicted that the Switch would sell over 200 million saw Nintendo's long term strategy. When the NES7 comes out, Switches will still be selling for that entire generation because it is the NES7's controller. The NES7 would be fully BC with all Switch games and come with its own Switch cartridge slot for people who bought physical Switch games. And when the NES7 launches you already have its controller, so its a smooth transition for all current Switch owners. But that's my pure speculation. 😁

No, not two Switches. Think of Nintendo's next console being a standalone stationary console that comes with a dock-less OLED Switch as the controller. You will mount the Switch in that system on a Wii U like dock where you can fully see the screen and charge it. It would still be a hybrid because Nintendo wont sell the stand-alone console by itself because the Switch IS the controller.
Wait, how is it the controller if it's mounted to the home console? I am very confused by this idea but it intrigues me, especially technically

EDIT:
I was a bit too late, but I'm still confused as to how it is the controller and physically mounts to the home system

Wait, how is it the controller if it's mounted to the home console? I am very confused by this idea but it intrigues me, especially technically

Its not mounted to the console. You will take your Switch out of its current dock and put it like this....

maxresdefault.jpg

The stand alone console is the future Nintendo console and the Switch is now its controler sitting on a small dock where you can see the screen and it remains on all the time, just like the Wii U.

Raccoon:​

I was a bit too late, but I'm still confused as to how it is the controller and physically mounts to the home system

Forgive me, I'm trying to explain it the best I can. :LOL:

Having two lines of hardware doesn't make sense anymore. Hybrid is the future.

Its not mounted to the console. You will take your Switch out of its current dock and put it like this....

maxresdefault.jpg

The stand alone console is the future Nintendo console and the Switch is now its controler sitting on a small dock where you can see the screen and it remains on all the time, just like the Wii U.

Forgive me, I'm trying to explain it the best I can. :LOL:
This is an interesting idea, and it's increasingly feasible thanks to the scalability of modern games. I think I would personally find it frustrating to effectively own two devices that can't be used concurrently, though.

Nah I don't believe they'll ever go back for the foreseeable future.

I predicted they'd do a hybrid back in 2014 because it was literally their only way forward that made any sense for them. Clearly, that's since been proven accurate.

No way they go back now. It simply wouldn't work. As mobile technology continues to improve exponentially, future Switch consoles make more and more snese.

Will they have separate handheld and console variants within the hybrid ecosystem? Definitely, we've already got that with the Lite.

Will they have separate handheld and console devices with different line-ups, no way.

I really hope they stick to this hybrid nature, not only because of the hardware but for software reasons.

That sounds absurdly expensive.

i'd like to state the obvious as well, that theres absolutely no way and we'll probably see a switch 2. but with nintendo you kind of just absolutely never know.

but i still believe that. i think we get at least one more "generation" (even though i hate that term) of a full blown new hybrid nintendo console. after that, who knows? i'm not sure they'd split divisions again but also they might do something completely different.

The consolidated platform is Nintendo's future.

We should expect that they'll be trying to expand just how many 'forms' that successor platforms can be comfortably leveraged - VR being a prime, untapped candidate (Labo was them already experimenting in this space).

Having two branches of hardware and software is not a viable solution for Nintendo so no I don't think that happening ever again
*Touch wood

I think Nintendo will stick to the hybrid form factor for a while.
The problem with this is that the seamless switching from docked to portable mode just isn't feasible with this sort of design.

Back
Top Bottom