• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Which had the better Nintendo games: Wii or Wii U?

Which console had the better Nintendo-published games?

• Wii

Votes: 102 67.5%
  • Wii U

Votes: 49 32.5%

• Total voters

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
The retro tag is a bit cheeky, don’t let that derail the thread please 😉

If you compare the Nintendo-published games on the Wii and the Wii U, which console comes out on top? We’re only talking about Nintendo-published here, because if we take the entirety of each’s console’s libraries into consideration, it seems pretty clear that the Wii would come out on top. And heck, it maybe still does in this discussion too? That’s what we’re here to find out! I think I have my answer, but I want to see what Fami says. I might be able to be persuaded.

It’s the battle of the ages. Galaxy vs 3D World. Mario Kart Wii vs Mario Kart 8. Brawl vs Smash 4. Returns vs Tropical Freeze. Skyward Sword vs BotW.

Let’s go!

Xenoblade X > Xenoblade 1. fite me

but the Wii U games were almost all bangers over their Wii counterparts (whom were also bangers)

NSMB Wii = NSMB U
Mario Galaxy > 3D World
MK Wii < MK8
AC City Folk > AC Amiibo Festival
Zelda TP + SS = BOTW
Prime 3 + Other M > (No Metroid)
Pikmin NPC < Pikmin 3
Xenoblade 1 > Xenoblade X
Wii Sports + Resort > Nintendoland
Kirby RTD + Epic Yard > Rainbow Curse
(No Splatoon) < Splatoon
Mario Party 8 > Mario Party 9/10
Pokémon Battle Revolution = Pokken
Fire Emblem RD > (No Fire Emblem)
(No Mario Maker) < Mario Maker
(No Star Fox) < Star Fox Zero
DKCR < DKC Tropical Freeze
Punch Out Wii > (No Punch Out)
Mario Sports on Wii > Mario Sports on Wii U
(No Hyrule Warriors) < Hyrule Warriors
(No Pushmo) < Pushmo World
Brawl > Smash 4

Final Score:
Wii 14 - Wii U 10

It’s close, but the Wii prevails in my book.

Last edited:
Galaxy VS 3D World would most likely mostly be a matter of what one prefers out of their Mario game. Outside of that, I'd say the quality (not quantity, because the poor WiiU has no chance if we did that) of their game on the WiiU was probably some of their very best in their history. Mario Kart 8 is nearing its ten year anniversary and it was doing such insane numbers that they decided to pump out some more content for it almost eight years after the original release date. Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU by far was the better game over Brawl, which while fun, is an absolutely broken mess. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers ever made. NSMBU while still really derivative, has way more interesting ideas over the Wii game. Pikmin 3 is an amazing game and outdoes everything the first two do (NPC re-release). BOTW redefined not just the series, but an entire genre.

Not so say that the Wii games are bad, they had amazing games that generation and way more spread out. But their WiiU period, despite how dry it was and problematic it was, the quality was unmatched and I'd argue still is to this very moment for the most part with a handful of (unfortunate) outliers.

As far as Nintendo games go, personally Wii U had higher highs but Wii had a more consistent library. Some Wii/Wii U games I only played via their Switch port, like Mario Kart 8 and Xenoblade 1, so it's a bit harder to gauge.

My gut says Wii but it's close for me.

Last edited:
I think I am going to have to go with the wii on this one. I think both consoles have great games, but more often than not, I just want to go back to wii games. I love the metroid games on the system and super mario galaxy is amazing, and honestly I kinda prefer Brawl over the Wii-U smash. There still great games on there like mario kart 8, Nintendo Land, and Donkey Kong, but overall I think the Wii was able to do much more with Nintendo's more obscure titles. Add to the fact that the Wii-U doesn't really have a Zelda game to call it's (Yes I know BotW started as a Wii-U game, but lets be real, it will be remembered more for the switch release), I think there is a clear winner for me.

I think in terms of more “hardcore” stuff, it’s a pretty even split. Both have their strengths.

With that said, the casual stuff on the Wii easily outpaces the Wii U, so that’s the decider for me.

Breath of the Wild solos the entire Wii library minus Mario Galaxy. Throw in Xenoblade Chronicles X to get it over the hump, and the Wii U clears.

Wii also had Other M which is subtraction by addition. So yeah, Wii U by a country mile.

WiiU and it's not even close for me. The Wii library is a small handful of actually good titles and then an absolute truckload of games that were hamstrung by the controls or the intense casual-ification that dominated the vibes of the console (I don't care how much people like the cutscenes from Brawl, it's a game where sometimes your character just randomly trips for no reason). For every Mario Party 10 or Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival on WiiU, there's like 3 Wii Musics and Link's Crossbow Trainings on Wii

Even sticking just to Nintendo's own output, the WiiU has some of my all-time favorite entries in their respective series and the Wii has maybe the greatest number of "my least favorite [insert Nintendo series here]" games of any Nintendo console. There's also this weird look to a lot of their Wii games that I kinda just hate, where it feels like they were trying to, like, approximate HD on an SD console and it just made things look bad and age worse (Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, and Twilight Princess jump to mind) whereas WiiU was I feel Nintendo really nailing how to take that Windwaker-esque "style over raw graphics" approach and apply it to their whole catalog

(also screw it, I'll just say it. Even at the time I didn't get the hype around the Galaxy games and I've only been more baffled by their elevated status as time goes on)

A lot of this comes down to how much of the games eventually brought to Switch you give the Wii U credit for, because Mario Kart 8, BotW, Pikmin 3, 3D World, and the Bayonetta games are all heavy hitters. The Wii U also has the better Smash Bros., and several great games still exclusive to the console like Nintendo Land, Game and Wario, and Xenoblade X.

But…

The Super Mario Galaxy games alone make a compelling argument for Wii, then you have classics like Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Super Paper Mario, Xenoblade 1, Wii Sports, games that we haven’t really seen the likes of in a while like Rhythm Heaven, and even if I prefer the sequels, Mario Kart Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Brawl are still all great games.

I think I’d have to give the edge to the Wii for sheer quantity.

Ignoring the lightning in the bottle that was the Wii itself, and all the quirky games that adopted motion controls, it's definitely the Wii. A lot of Nintendo's output during the Wii U years felt like retreads. Captain Toad, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Bayonetta 2 we're all great in their respect, but the big hitters were mostly ports or what call safer adaptations. The Wii had a little of everything; new Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Wario Land, the project rain titles, and then obscure stuff not from Nintendo like Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, etc to pad the gaps between Nintendo's output. For the most part the Wii U had very little. Lots of late ports and nothing particularly standout from Nintendo themselves.

Breath of the Wild would have been a big one but simultaneously launching alongside the switch makes me lean towards it being less of a selling point.

The Wii had a Fire Emblem Excitebots game and the WiiU didn't. The Wii wins by default
This.

In all seriousness, if we are just talking about quality in terms of reviews, I think Wii U may win. Which one I like more? Wii. Games like Wii Sports, Warioware or Excitebots may not have reviewed in the 90s, but I made more good memories with them than with any Wii U games.

Metroid, Punch-Out, Rhythm Heaven, WarioWare, Sin & Punishment, ExciteTrucks/Bots, Endless Ocean and Fatal Frame tip this one in favor of the Wii by a non insignificant margin for me.

Overall, I don't find myself going back to the Wii U entries of most series that often. Either they were a step down compared to previous games (Star Fox, Kirby), or they were quickly eclipsed by their Switch follow-ups (3D Mario, Splatoon, Smash, Pikmin)

The one exception is—you guessed it—Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Thank you @Jbone916 for the neat format! I'm borrowing it if that's okay.

NSMB Wii < NSMB U

Mario Galaxy + 2 > 3D World

MK Wii < MK8

Zelda TP + SS > BOTW

Pikmin NPC < Pikmin 3

Wii Sports + Resort < Nintendo Land

Mario Party 9 > 10

(No Captain Toad) < Captain Toad

Super Paper Mario = Color Splash

Wii Fit = Wii Fit U

Wii VC Zelda games < WWHD + TPHD

(No NES Remix) < NES Remix 1+2

(No Yoshi game) < Yoshi's Woolly World

I only listed games I play/enjoy.

Let's see how the scores shake out ...

Ties - 2
Wii - 4
Wii U - 11

Wow, that was a stronger Wii U showing than j expected. I thought it'd come out on top but not quite that high. I love pretty much all the games listed above, though.

Wii U is my favourite Nintendo home console, and not by a small margin, but a lot of the love is from the fact it's a Wii, too. Wii Mode makes the Wii U whole. In terms of first party releases, while Wii U had a half dozen heavy hitters I loved, Wii had a handful of great games and a large swathe of very good games. Meanwhile, Wii U had Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival.

Remove its retrocompatibility across Wii Mode and Virtual Console, and Wii U falls to third behind Switch and Wii.

Wii U has my least favorite entries in a number of series, along with a number of no shows. Only real exceptions are Donkey Kong and Xenoblade tbh

Really bad era for Nintendo tbh!

I actually think its Wii by a rather wide margin. Wii U is almost coughing baby tier depsite having the first HD and pretty good 3d mario, mario kart and botw.

And not just in quantity. After a quick check I had more Wii games sitting above 8 and 8.5 than Wii U and waaaay more above 7. For every BOTW on Wii U, you have a Metroid Prime 3 or Galaxy on Wii, or a couple even. And that's before even getting down to the variety and wealth of decent titles sitting below the top hitters.

The Wii had some shovel ware, but it had a lot of actual decent to excellent games from Nintendo themselves, the Wii U really floundered overall in release cadence and imo has less top hitters too (subjectively but also the Wii has a greater variety among its 8.5 or higher titles). Makes sense, The Wii U barely got 4 years in development and several franchises skipped it entirely.

thank you Jbone916, I'm stealing your list to start, (warning meta critic like “7 is the top of the bell curve”, underdeveloped impression scores incoming).

NSMB Wii 7.5 < NSMB U + Luigi 7.5 (very close), repetitive games but both funish

Mario Galaxy 1/2 9+10 > 8.5 3D World, its still good, but 2 galaxy games though, generally excellent creative level design and concepts that Nintendo still cribs from in 3d world and odyssey. Tonnes of variety and polish. And I PREFER free-er, looser gameplay for platforming like the other 3d titles and more sandboxy areas and I still can't stop stanig games that execute their intended goals so well.

MK Wii 9 > MK8 8.4, Wii is more fun overall imo, but the dlc for 8 is pretty great

AC City Folk 7.5 > AC Amiibo Festival 1 (bruh, I'm not paying a single point for this crime)

Zelda TP 8.5 + SS 8 (+ links crossbow training 6.9) < BOTW 9, Zelda is great in general though.

Prime 3 9 + Other M 6.9 > (No Metroid), enormous Wii U L, also consider the prime trilogy pointer controls (honestly and give the wii another 9 title for that even)

Pikmin NPC 8 < Pikmin 3 8.4, yeah 3 is good, but don't underrate the pointer controls for the older games

Xenoblade 1 8.9 > Xenoblade X, 8.4, yeah I like them both a lot, X has some quirks that really grind my gears despite its incredible world

Wii Sports 7 + Resort 8.4 (yes really) > Nintendoland 8, I guess, but nintendo land is great too.

Kirby RTD 7.9 + Epic Yarn 7.9 (+ Kirby 20th anniversary collection)> Rainbow Curse 6.5

(No Splatoon) < Splatoon 8.4

Mario Party 8 8 > Mario Party 9/10

Pokémon Battle Revolution 5 (much more limited rental system, weird card system, no minigames, its a much worse stadium, shovel ware game apart form its animations) < Pokken 8 perfectly reasonable fighting game, cool visuals, fun 3d to 2d gimmick.

Fire Emblem RD 7.9 > (No Fire Emblem)

(No Mario Maker) < Mario Maker 8.5

(No Star Fox) < Star Fox Zero 6, its not that good but I'll take it over nothing.

DKCR 8, barrel blast 6.9, jungle beat 7 < DKC Tropical Freeze 10 masterpiece.

Punch Out Wii 8.5 (great game) > (No Punch Out)

Mario Sports on Wii 7.9 *3 (generally pretty decent, tennis 7.9, sluggers 7.9, soccer 7.9 + sports mix (never played heard it was mid) ) > Mario Sports on Wii U (beta release ass tennis game) 4

(No Hyrule Warriors) < Hyrule Warriors 7.9

(No Pushmo) < Pushmo World 8

Brawl 9 = Smash 4 9, 4 is more fun/faster/bigger roster, but the overall package of Brawl is great (also an excellent party/casual game on top of that).

Super paper mario 8.2 > Color splash 6.9 (no discourse please)

Excite trucks 8 + excite bots 8 > nothing exciting for wii U

Wii party 6.8 < Wii U party 7.3

Wii music 3 (its kind of cute I guess?) = nothing

Rhythm heaven fever 8.3 > again, jack all

Sin and punishment 8.4 > nothing

endless ocean 6.9 (don't kill me) > nothing

pokepark 7 > nothing

fortunte street (idk 7.9? it can be very good with the right friends group) > diddly squat

WARIO LAND SHAKE IT 8.39 + smooth moves 7.99 > Game and Wario 6

Wii fit/plus (??? no idea what I think of it) > nothing

Nothing < ninja gaiden 3, (idk 7.5 or so, I barely remember it)

Nothing > devils third

Nothing < Bayonetta 1+2 8.4,

Nothing < captain toad 7.9

Nothing < tokyo mirage sessions 7.4

fatal frame 2 = fatal frame 7.5

Nothing < nex remix I guess

There's also other Nintendo published stuff on the Wii like Samurai warriors 3, fling smash, mystery case files and other small things no one played. and I'm sure I've forgotten some Wii U stuff.

I did a little scoring system like this and the Wii crushed it at like 70:40. (at any rate, total wins per franchise or missing franchises, gives the Wii an easy win also).

<4-6
0.1​
6.1-6.9
0.5​
7-7.9
1​
8-8.3
2​
8.4-8.7
3​
8.8-10
4​

DS vs 3ds is waaaay harder for me. I have no idea where I would end up, I think I like the ds more than the Wiis line up, but the 3ds is excellent in its own right.

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned the only front Wii has Wii U beat on is Mario. Every other franchise entry that I've played makes this a Wii U sweep for me

I'm not sure this is considered a hot take but it sure is searing to me. Ow!
It's not much of a hot take if you're an RPG guy tbh. 3DS has better Fire Emblem games (sorry New Mystery) and is an absolute machine when it comes to Atlus games. Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey everywhere - including remasters of some of their DS output - plus heavy hitters from other studios like Fantasy Life, RPG-adjacent titles like Zelda, etc. Not to mention being able to play the DS hits too.

Some of that may definitely be nostalgia talking though.

It's not much of a hot take if you're an RPG guy tbh.
220px-Scott_The_Woz.jpg

Well go ahead and guess what I'm not.

It's not much of a hot take if you're an RPG guy tbh. 3DS has better Fire Emblem games (sorry New Mystery) and is an absolute machine when it comes to Atlus games. Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey everywhere - including remasters of some of their DS output - plus heavy hitters from other studios like Fantasy Life, RPG-adjacent titles like Zelda, etc. Not to mention being able to play the DS hits too.

Some of that may definitely be nostalgia talking though.
DS RPG lineup is no slouch. Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light, FF3, FF4, DQ 4-6 and 9, FF Tactics A2, Mario and Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story (the best of these plus partners in time), the first 3 EO games, most of the 3DS Atlus games original form, multiple FE games (I will agree 3DS is better here), Chrono Trigger, TWEWY, arguably the best generations of Pokemon, plus (and some of these were bad but publishers were trying) a lot of actual releases in many classic series (Mana, Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, various FF spinoffs). Probably even more Japan only stuff. Not to discount the 3DS lineup which is also great.

When judging these things though I’m usually exclude backward comparability from the discussion because it’s sort of makes the choice obvious from a system to own perspective but not necessarily an individual library perspective.

Wii had better Nintendo games and third party games. It was like the NES with all the arcade style goodness. Just so much fun. So many good games, both high profile and hidden gems.

Since this is a list thread, I’ll make a list of excellent Wii games that don’t have a counterpart on WiiU. I played the heck out of my Wii and skipped the WiiU.

First Party games:

Punch Out!
Wii Fit
Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Wario Land Shake it
Kirby Return to Dreamland
Animal Crossing
Wario Ware Smooth Moves (just pure silly fun distilled in disc form)
Kirby Epic Yarn
Excite Truck
Sin and Punishment Star Successor
Link’s Crossbow training
Metroid Prime 3

Third Party games:

FIFA
Madden
Madworld (same developer as Bayonetta but very different gameplay)
Samba de Amigo
Capcom vs. Tatsunoko
Zak and Wiki
Contra Rebirth
De Blob
The Conduit
Call of Duty
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Colors
Other Tony Hawk games
Guilty Gear XX
Super Monkey Ball games
Muramasa Demon Blade
Epic Mickey

Boy did I play the heck out of the Wii. It’s an all time great system for me after the Dreamcast, NES, and Switch.

Galaxy obliterates basically everything on the Wii U, bar BOTW, which doesn't technically count as a wholly a Wii U game. I think the only games I preferred more on Wii U were Mario Kart 8 and Tropical Freeze.

Tropical Freeze clears the entire Wii library but the Wii just has so many games that are also fantastic while the WiiU has like... less than 10 games worth playing, and the only exclusives at this point are either basically unplayable without Pretendo or are trash. (Or are Xenoblade X, I forgot about that. Please don't kill me Xenoblade fans)
I'm gonna give it to the Wii.

NSMB Wii = NSMB U
Mario Galaxy > 3D World
MK Wii < MK8
AC City Folk > AC Amiibo Festival
Zelda TP + SS = BOTW
Prime 3 + Other M > (No Metroid)
Pikmin NPC < Pikmin 3
Xenoblade 1 > Xenoblade X
Wii Sports + Resort > Nintendoland
(No Splatoon) < Splatoon
Mario Party 8 > Mario Party 9/10
Pokémon Battle Revolution = Pokken
Fire Emblem RD > (No Fire Emblem)
(No Star Fox) < Star Fox Zero
Punch Out Wii > (No Punch Out)
Mario Sports on Wii > Mario Sports on Wii U
(No Hyrule Warriors) < Hyrule Warriors
Brawl > Smash 4

Final Score:
Wii 14 - Wii U 10

It’s close, but the Wii prevails in my book.
You also forgot Warioware, Wario Land, Sin & Punishment, Excite Truck, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Pandora's Tower, Endless Ocean, The Last Story and Another Code that favoured Wii and Yoshi's Wholly World and Captain Toad, The Wonderful 101 that favoured WiiU.
Paper Mario is a toss depending on the style you like more.
In general Wii had more games.

EDIT:
Left out external IPs like Fatal Frame (IV and the remaster of II on WII, V on WiiU) and Bayonetta (1 & 2 on WiiU) and lesser remembered stuff on Wii like Disaster Day of Crisis.

Last edited:
Decided to a ds vs 3ds check as well, and surprisingly it was very one sided on the 3ds side, I though it would be closer.

Personal review/impressions range to given score:
<4-60.1
6.1-6.90.5
7-7.91
8-8.32
8.4-8.73
8.8-104

CONSOLESCORE
3ds135.75, 101 titles included
ds103.00, 79 titles included
(even if you divide it by titles included the ds still loses, so the 3ds had quantity and quality).

I was shocked the 3ds seemed to have more published "nintendo style" games than the DS, (there were a lot of brain training style/puzzle/board gamey titles published on DS too, and a loooot of Japan only games. If anything I was more familiar with a lot obscure ds games than 3ds games, so I think I ended up benefiting its score a little and it still lost a lot.

There were plenty of ds/3ds games I was either not familiar with, or barely familiar with, or its just another puzzle game sequel or mini game sequel and decided to disclude (actually more common on 3ds with download titles). Lots of 3ds games were published by Nintendo that I forgot about or didn't know (for example I discluded the dragon quest ports because nah those aren't nintendo titles really). Even if you exclude some of the 3ds console ports or remakes I think it would still edge it out a little.

Several franchises were better or at least equal on the 3ds for me, I expected this to be much closer.

Maybe there were DS games that are nintendo titles I am forgetting or something. I used wikis. Maybe in my mind I remember the ds era a little more fondly or there are more 3rd party titles that are entering my mind that aren't really nintendo titles.

Style Savvynot for meds
Art Academynot for meds
Tomodachi Collectionnot familiarhonestly didn't know tomadachi went this far backds
DS Rakubiki Jitennot familiarit’s a dictionaryds
Tottoko Hamtaro: Nazonazo Q Kumonoue no? Shironot familiarpuzzle/learning gameds
Hana to Ikimo no Rittai Zukannot familiar3ds
Daigassou! Band Brothers (2005: Daigassou! Band Brothers Tsuikakyoku Cartridge)not familiards
English Trainingnot familiards
Mawashite Tsunageru: Touch Panicnot familiards
Project Hacker: Kakuseinot familiards
Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navinot familiards
Otona no Joushiki Ryoku Training DSnot familiards
Kenkou Ouen Recipe 1000: DS Kondate Zenshuunot familiards
Touch de Tanoshimu Hyakunin-Isshu: DS Shiguredennot familiards
Suujin Taisennot familiards
Kurikin Nano Island Storynot familiards
Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Daynot familiards
Ganbaru Watashi no Kakei Diarynot familiards
Face Training: Facial exercises to strengthen and relax from Fumiko Inudo (Nintendo DSi exclusive in Europe)not familiards
Zekkyou Senshi Sakebureinnot familiards
Thetanot familiards
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heatnot familiards
Make 10: A Journey of Numbersnot familiards
100 Classic Booksnot familiards
Nintendo DS Digital TV Tunernot familiards
Kousoku Card Battle: Card Heronot familiards
Personal Trainer: Walkingnot familiards
Personal Trainer: Cookingnot familiards
Picross 3Dnot familiards
Okaeri! Chibi-Robo!: Happy Richie Daisouji!not familiards
Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Lovenot familiards
Last Window: The Secret of Cape Westnot familiards
Otona no Renai Shousetsu: Harlequin Selectionnot familiards
Eigo de Tabisuru: Little Charonot familiards
Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventurenot familiards
BoxBoxBoy!naanother3ds
Fossil Fighters: Frontiernaanother, not familiar3ds
CrashmonaI didn't play it :(3ds
Metroid Prime: Blast BallnaIm not counting this seperately3ds
Kirby's Blowout Blastnaive included enough kirby mini games3ds
Team Kirby Clash Deluxenaive included enough kirby mini games3ds
Game & Watch Collection 2nanahds
Pokémon Picrossnanot another3ds
Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moonnanot counting seperately, worse story than the original and some filler minigame,3ds
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Starsnanot paying another one of these3ds
Cooking Mama 5: Bon Appetit!nawoah woah nintendo published a mama game?3ds
3D Classics: Excitebikena3ds
3D Classics: Xeviousna3ds
Pokédex 3Dna3ds
3D Classics: Urban Championna3ds
Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!na3ds
Ketzal's Corridorsna3ds
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Swordna3ds
Sparkle Snapshots 3Dna3ds
Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone!na3ds
Style Savvy: Trendsettersna3ds
LBX: Little Battlers eXperiencena3ds
Inazuma Eleven GO Chrono Stonesna3ds
Crosswords Plusna3ds
Downloadna3ds
3D Classics: Kid Icarusna3ds
Dillon's Rolling Westernnaits already included/dupe?3ds
3D Classics: Kirby's Adventurena3ds
Pokémon Dream Radarna3ds
Pokédex 3D Prona3ds
Tokyo Crash Mobsna3ds
Fluidity: Spin Cyclena3ds
Daigassou! Band Brothers Pna3ds
Disney Magical Worldna3ds
Teddy Togetherna3ds
Gardening Mama 2: Forest Friendsna3ds
Inazuma Eleven 3: Lightning Bolt and Bomb Blastna3ds
Issho ni Photo: Super Mariona3ds
Daigassou! Band Brothers P: Shimobe Toolna3ds
Pokémon Bankna3ds
Kersploosh!na3ds
Wagamama Fashion Girls Mode: Yokubari Sengen! Tokimeki UP!na3ds
Pokémon Art Academyna3ds
Inazuma Eleven 3: Team Ogre Attacks!na3ds
Steel Diver: Sub Warsna3ds
Style Savvy: Fashion Forwardna3ds
Picross 3D: Round 2na3ds
Disney Magical World 2na3ds
Yo-kai Watch Blastersna3ds
Pokémon Shufflena3ds
Yakuman Hououna3ds
Nikki no Tabisuru Quizna3ds
Dr. Mario: Miracle Curena3ds
Daigassou! Band Brothers P – Debutna3ds
Real Dasshutsu Game × Nintendo 3DS: Chou Hakai Keikaku Kara no Dasshutsuna3ds
Disney Art Academyna3ds
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibona3ds
Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nihon!!na3ds
Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challengena3ds
Meitantei Pikachu ~Shin Konbi Tanjou~na3ds
My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princessna3ds
Tank Troopersna3ds
Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nihon!! Motteru Hito to Taisenbanna3ds
Hako Boy! Hakozume Boxna3ds
Style Savvy: Styling Starna3ds
Practise English!: Speak English Every Daynads
Moeru! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2nads
DS Bimoji Trainingnads
Wi-Fi Taiou Yakuman DSdoesn't countds
Tingle's Balloon Fight DSdidn't playds
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past8?huh, nintendo published this? I wont count if though3ds
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King8?huh, nintendo published this? I wont count if though3ds
Jet Impulse7?barely played it, but its kind of fun?ds
1​
Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe7?not sure I should could it? I did3ds
1​
Kirby Fighters Deluxe7?not sure I should could it? I did3ds
1​
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
9.5​
brilliantds
4​
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
9.3​
fantastic3ds
4​
Mario Kart DS
9​
great mario kart game, great gameplay,ds
4​
Tetris DS
8.8​
best tetris gameds
4​
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 Versions
8.8​
I'm one of THOSE peopleds
4​
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
8.8​
very standard remake/port, but its OoT, its good3ds
4​
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
8.8​
yes its got issues, but its also got big strengths (new notebook is huge)3ds
4​
Kid Icarus: Uprising
8.7​
gimme gimme (im giving 3.5 its on the edge anyway)3ds
3.5​
Kirby Super Star Ultra
8.5​
excellent kirby gameds
3​
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
8.5​
its still good, but 30fps and slightly blander3ds
3​
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey
8.5​
its still good, but 30fps and slightly blander3ds
3​
Bravely Second: End Layer
8.5​
love it despite too much world map re-use3ds
3​
Pokémon Black and White Versions
8.5​
more pokemon, I like gen 5 alsods
3​
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
8.5​
not the best way to play it, but I like it3ds
3​
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
8.5​
3ds
3​
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
8.5​
great on the 3ds honestly3ds
3​
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Versions
8.4​
despite its level curve and team/access issues having half fixes at best, I still like hgss a lotds
3​
Pokémon Sun and Moon
8.4​
despite the extended script and cutscnes I mostly like sun and moon a lot3ds
3​
Bravely Default
8.4​
hell yeah3ds
3​
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
8.4​
kirby my beloved3ds
3​
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
8.4​
overhated, not the best mario rpg but very good.ds
3​
Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
8.4​
you can turn off the exp share3ds
3​
Fire Emblem: Awakening
8.39​
awakening is genuinely good imo3ds
2.5​
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
8.39​
great gameds
2.5​
WarioWare Gold
8.39​
oh, this is a good collection3ds
2.5​
Platinum > Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Versions
8.39​
platinum is pretty good despite some gen 4 stuff, fixes a lot of the weird DP decisionsds
2.5​
Diddy Kong Racing DS
8.3​
does this count?ds
2​
Shovel Knight
8.3​
oh yeah, Nintendo published this3ds
2​
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS
8.3​
oh yeah, I forgot3ds
2​
Mario Party DS
8.39​
one of the best mario parties, I hope it gets ported one day, love the maps, minigames and cheap and spamable purchase of items.ds
2​
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
8.35​
overhated despite its flaws it’s a good gameds
2​
Super Mario 64 DS
8.3​
still good despite controls, new content and playable characters are greatds
2​
New Super Mario Bros.
8.3​
was genuinely good the first time, weird and creativeds
2​
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
8.3​
a lot to live up to3ds
2​
Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
8.3​
hell yeahds
2​
Kirby: Planet Robobot
8.29​
I prefer TD, there I said it3ds
2​
Pokémon X and Y
8.29​
3ds
2​
Mario Kart 7
8.2​
its good3ds
2​
Pokémon Conquest
8.2​
its goodds
2​
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
8.2​
weird game, loved it despite its issues, but slowly growing away from it3ds
2​
Jump Ultimate Stars
8​
another decent jump game, I like the touch screen player inventory thingds
2​
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
8​
forgot they ported this back, its actually decent on both consoles3ds
2​
Pokémon Ranger
8​
fun gameds
2​
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
8​
hell yeah3ds
2​
Elite Beat Agents
8​
hell yeahds
2​
Rhythm Heaven
8​
hell yeahds
2​
Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu., FE12 right?
8​
I liked FE12ds
2​
Jump Super Stars
8​
its actually kind of good, what happen to the Jump games?ds
2​
Super Mario 3D Land
8​
its good3ds
2​
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
8​
pretty good3ds
2​
Metroid: Samus Returns
8​
pretty good3ds
2​
Pushmo
8​
pushmo :)3ds
2​
Mario Golf: World Tour
8​
you know what, I like this one.3ds
2​
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
8​
3ds
2​
Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
7.99​
another one, not as good as almiads
1.5​
Code Name S.T.E.A.M.
7.9​
guys its good I swear3ds
1​
Animal Crossing: Wild World
7.9​
animal crossingds
1​
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
7.9​
another console port3ds
1​
Kirby: Mass Attack
7.9​
cute kirby gameds
1​
Custom Robo Arena
7.9​
hell yeahds
1​
Clubhouse Games
7.9​
hell yeah club house gamesds
1​
Miitopia
7.9​
its pretty funny, I wont pretend its not3ds
1​
WarioWare: D.I.Y.
7.9​
this one is fun to mess withds
1​
Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers
7.9​
3ds
1​
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
7.9​
3ds
1​
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
7.9​
ds
1​
Luigi's Mansion
7.8​
forgot they made this port3ds
1​
Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger
7.8​
fun game3ds
1​
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
7.8​
I actually liked the minis the first time around with touch controls, didn't have much staying powerds
1​
Chibi-Robo!: Park Patrol!
7.8​
its pretty decent chibi robo gameplay on the dsds
1​
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
7.8​
Oh nintendo published a layton, should I include it?3ds
1​
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
7.8​
pretty decentds
1​
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
7.8​
very elite beat agentsds
1​
HarmoKnight
7.9​
its cute, good job gamefreak3ds
1​
Fire Emblem Fates birthright
7.8​
what is almost a great package spoiled with a terrible plot and poor characters3ds
1​
Fire Emblem Fates conquest
7.8​
what is almost a great package spoiled with a terrible plot and poor characters3ds
1​
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness
7.5​
I have a lot of nostalgia for this one, but the dungeon randmization is extremely basicds
1​
Pilotwings Resort
7.5​
I like it3ds
1​
Super Princess Peach
7.5​
its alright despite…stuffds
1​
Ever Oasis
7.5​
not bad, but I don't love these types of games3ds
1​
Tomodachi Life
7.5​
3ds
1​
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
7.5​
3ds
1​
Kirby: Squeak Squad
7.4​
alright kirby gameds
1​
Picross DS
7.4​
hell yeah picrossds
1​
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
7.7​
its still very fun, but yeah, beginning of the end3ds
1​
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
7.4​
the superior cing ds gameds
1​
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
7.3​
its cool enough3ds
1​
Yo-kai Watch 3
7.3​
the good yokai watch, why did it take so dang long?3ds
1​
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
7.2​
its cute3ds
1​
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
7​
actually decent3ds
1​
Pokémon Battle Trozei!
7​
another trozie3ds
1​
Electroplankton
7​
cute ass gameds
1​
nintendogs
7​
cute ass gamesds
1​
Planet Puzzle League (Panel de Pon DS)
7​
cute ass puzzle gameds
1​
Magical Starsign
7​
cute rpg, nothing special overall but excellent artds
1​
Hyrule Warriors Legends
7​
even on new 3ds it didn’t run well enough imo3ds
1​
Chou Soujuu Mecha MG
7​
funky control/played the fan translation a little, didn't hook me, but i liked it well enoughds
1​
Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
7​
funny trip meme game, its certainly somethingds
1​
Mario Hoops 3-on-3
7​
I like it even though its super basic, FF characters are a nice additionds
1​
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
7​
I might be nice here, really should have had 2+1 online or a bot or something3ds
1​
Pocket Card Jockey
7​
I think its okay, don't share the huge enthusiasm some others do3ds
1​
Metroid Prime Hunters
7​
im being a bit nice if anything, and I like touch controls, I don't think its structurally very strongds
1​
Mario Party: The Top 100
7​
it’s a decent collection, but a very odd idea3ds
1​
Star Fox 64 3D
7​
its alright3ds
1​
Ultimate NES Remix
7​
its another3ds
1​
BoxBoy!
7​
its cute3ds
1​
DK: Jungle Climber
7​
its fineds
1​
Kirby: Battle Royale
7​
its fun enough3ds
1​
Club Nintendo Picross
7​
its more picross3ds
1​
Nintendogs + cats
7​
more nintendogs, its fine3ds
1​
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
7​
oh man, this could have been so good, rip golden sunds
1​
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
7​
ooh, man I dropped off these games hard, they're still cute thoughds
1​
Densetsu no Starfy 4
7​
starfy is alrightds
1​
Fire Emblem Warriors (2017)
7​
still runs meh on new 3ds,3ds
1​
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
7​
sure is another mini game collectionds
1​
Mario Tennis Open
6.9​
3ds
0.5​
Culdcept
7​
3ds
1​
Nintendo Pocket Football Club
7​
3ds
1​
New Super Mario Bros. 2
7.4​
3ds
1​
Story of Seasons
7​
3ds
1​
Stretchmo
7​
3ds
1​
Culdcept Revolt
7​
3ds
1​
Monster Hunter Stories
7​
3ds
1​
Polarium
7​
ds
1​
WarioWare: Touched!
7​
ds
1​
Big Brain Academy
7​
ds
1​
Mario Party: Star Rush
6.99999​
its….okay? Kind of like the new mode3ds
0.75​
The Legendary Starfy
6.9​
another starfy, I don't really need multiple of these per consoleds
0.5​
Pokémon Trozei!
6.9​
cute ass gamesds
0.5​
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!
6.9​
cute enough gameds
0.5​
Soma Bringer
6.9​
forgot this one exisited, very bold in its gameplay ideas, bad level curveds
0.5​
Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition
6.9​
its alright3ds
0.5​
Mario Party: Island Tour
6.9​
its fiiiiiiine I guess3ds
0.5​
Steel Diver
6.9​
its fine3ds
0.5​
Inazuma Eleven GO
6.9​
its fine3ds
0.5​
Metroid Prime Pinball
6.9​
its pinballds
0.5​
Mario Sports Superstars
6.9​
not a great colleectiom3ds
0.5​
Star Fox Command
6.9​
not amazing, but funds
0.5​
Trace Memory
6.9​
not my fav, but its neat in its own rightds
0.5​
Fossil Fighters
6.9​
oh yeah fossil fighters existedds
0.5​
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
6.9​
this one is actually okay3ds
0.5​
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
6.9​
3ds
0.5​
Brain Age: Concentration Training
6.9​
3ds
0.5​
Yo-kai Watch
6.9​
3ds
0.5​
Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls
6.9​
3ds
0.5​
Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
6.9​
3ds
0.5​
Kirby: Canvas Curse
6.9​
ds
0.5​
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day!
6.9​
ds
0.5​
Jam with the Band
6.5​
its alrightds
0.5​
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
6.5​
meh mini game collectionds
0.5​
Fossil Fighters: Champions
6.5​
sure is more fossil figtersds
0.5​
Wario: Master of Disguise
6.4​
its okay, not the best wario ware game, but has its appealds
0.5​
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
6.4​
yep, that’s enough minis for meds
0.5​
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move
6​
another3ds
0.5​
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars
6​
ANOTHER3ds
0.5​
Magnetica
6​
fine little ball match gameds
0.5​
Fantasy Life
6​
I didn't love it3ds
0.5​
True Swing Golf
6​
it’s a standard golf gameds
0.5​
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
6.3​
no discourse please3ds
0.5​
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
6​
oh, oh no.3ds
0.5​
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
6​
Why do I keep trying these, I guess I just like minigame collection, or at least want to3ds
0.5​
Yoshi's New Island
5​
:(3ds
0.5​
Hey! Pikmin
5​
0.5​
Pokémon Rumble Blast
5​
bruh3ds
0.5​
Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins
5​
didn't love it,3ds
0.5​
Detective Pikachu
5​
I didn't like this3ds
0.5​
Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash
5​
Ive played better3ds
0.5​
Game & Watch Collection
5​
mehds
0.5​
Master of Illusion
5​
mehds
0.5​
Glory of Heracles
5​
mehds
0.5​
Fire emblem fates the other dlc one
5​
this was such a let down3ds
0.5​
Yoshi Touch & Go
5​
very midds
0.5​
Metroid Prime: Federation Force
5​
you guys told me it was underated, you lied to me me and my friends, want my time back3ds
0.5​
Chibi-Robo!: Photo Finder
3​
0​
Pokémon Rumble World
3​
rip3ds
0​
Yakuman DS
3​
ds
0​
Pokémon Dash
2.9​
ds
0​

Rhythm Heaven, Sin and Punishment, Disaster Day of Crisis, Another Code R... Wii takes this one easily. It's not even close, honestly.

I don't care for Smash, Tropical Freeze, Galaxy, Skyward Sword, or BotW, and actually prefer Game & Wario to WarioWare Shake It and New Super Mario Bros Wii to WiiU, so my angle here is a little different.

The standout 1st party Wii games for me are Wii Sports and Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy. On the WiiU, my top 1st party games are MK8 and Mario Maker, but Pikmin 3, NES Remix, and 3D World are also really good. So on the quality of 1st party software I think they're really close, or maybe the WiiU is even a bit ahead. But the Wii has so many more games, novelty, and variety while the WiiU has such an awful user interface/experience that I perform that comparison in a vacuum.

For me, Wii wins.

I tend to weight consoles based on how much fun I would get from still playing them today, and that heavily favors the Wii U for me. Aside from Galaxy, you couldn't pay me to play most of Nintendo's Wii output. Wii U berthed Splatoon and Mario Maker, which slap, and a couple other games I wouldn't mind playing.

Somehow, the Wii U wins.

I tend to weight consoles based on how much fun I would get from still playing them today, and that heavily favors the Wii U for me. Aside from Galaxy, you couldn't pay me to play most of Nintendo's Wii output. Wii U berthed Splatoon and Mario Maker, which slap, and a couple other games I wouldn't mind playing.

Somehow, the Wii U wins.
You wouldn’t play Wii Music for $20 an hour in your free time (Ravi Drums is owed a royalty anytime you play drums though)?

Honestly even as someone who grew up on the Wii I think this is a lot closer than it may seem. A lot of Wii singleplayer games just aren't worth the hype, the multiplayer games are really where it's at. Wii U on the other hand had 3D World and Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2. Mario Kart 8 was peak. Hyrule Warriors was better than Galaxy.

However .... the Wii did have Subspace Emissary .... and Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop. Tough call ....

For me, it's gotta be the Wii.

As much as I loved games like Tropical Freeze and BOTW, the Wii's first party lineup is low key one of Nintendo's best; Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Sin & Punishment Star Successor, The Last Story, Mario Kart Wii, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Excite Truck, Excite Bots, Wii Sports/Resort, Metroid Prime 3...
Not just the tentpoles you'd expect but a lot of really cool quirky smaller stuff too.

Such an awesome and underrated console.

Last edited:
It's definitely the Wii for me because even outside the heavy hitters Nintendo published stuff like Disaster: Day of Crisis and put out Captain Rainbow and I love completely weird and off the wall stuff like that a lot more than what we got on the Wii U.

Sin & Punishment 2 is one of the best games Nintendo's ever put out period though so it's kind of hard to fight that from the start.

I don't know, both of these systems had some let downs but Wii wins out.

Skyward Sword for instance was pretty bad, but at least the Wii had its own Zelda game. BOTW is much better but don't really consider it a Wii U game. It came out too late and was better played on Switch lmao. So that's where I and most played it.

With Metroid. Prime 3 was a huge step back from Prime 1 and Prime 2 but it was still alright, Wii U had nothing like that.
Super Paper Mario was garbage but less garbage than Color Splash.
Xenoblade was far better than X.
I liked Returns more than TF. (Controversial I know)
NSMBU was more or less on par with NSMBW, but Wii did it first.
Galaxy 2 was on par with 3D World imo but Wii had 2 3D Mario games.
Kirby was much better on Wii
Both Smash games were disappointing but Smash 4 feels even more obsolete now than Brawl.
I would take Sin and Punishment over the turd that was Star Fox Zero any day.

Pikmin is a thing Wii U has over the Wii but even then i didn't think Pikmin 3 was as good as the Gamecube entries. So it's not a huge loss on the Wii side.

There is Mario Kart which is much better on Wii U than Wii.

Huge thing is Mario Maker and Splatoon which did almost redeem the Wii U but not enough and Splatoon took forever to get to a complete state.

But yeah even with those few exceptions in mind, Wii had the stronger lineup during it's lifetime. It had more games.

I don't miss either era of Nintendo tho.

This is hard, I went with Wii because I feel it had the more interesting mix of titles. That being said, I would also add that a lot of them had waggle controls that I wish they didn’t as I wasn’t a fan of the motion controls outside of a few games (Wii Sports was made for it for instance, some games it felt motion controls were forced onto it for the sake of it)

Wii had a proper Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Metroid, and Kirby on top of stuff like The Last Story, Punch-Out, and Sin and Punishment as well as it's Mario's and Zelda's being great games too. So for all of that I'd pick the Wii

Wii U did have it's moments, Mario Maker and Splatoon were incredible, Tropical Freeze was a step up from Returns but when it comes to some of the franchises I'm most passionate about (like Fire Emblem, Metroid, Animal Crossing) it just didn't have much or anything to offer. I will give Tokyo Mirage Sessions a shout out for filling the RPG boots quite well

And on the Xenoblade front, I love both but I prefer XC1. Oh the Wii also had a proper WarioWare game as well as a Wario Land, Another Code, Disaster: Day of Crisis, and Battalion Wars
Yeah it's Wii for me

I preferred the Wii U. Mario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World were some of my faves. BOTW although I played that on Switch.

I think only Galaxy really stands out to me from the Wii.

For me it'll have to be Wii U. I don't have particularly fond memories of the Wii lineup. I enjoyed DS games more at the time, except for the phenomenal Galaxy games. I don't think the Wii U was a great console or that it had enough to play, but there was more for me there from Nintendo.

Wii had better Nintendo games and third party games. It was like the NES with all the arcade style goodness. Just so much fun. So many good games, both high profile and hidden gems.

Since this is a list thread, I’ll make a list of excellent Wii games that don’t have a counterpart on WiiU. I played the heck out of my Wii and skipped the WiiU.

First Party games:

Punch Out!
Wii Fit
Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Wario Land Shake it
Kirby Return to Dreamland
Animal Crossing
Wario Ware Smooth Moves (just pure silly fun distilled in disc form)
Kirby Epic Yarn
Excite Truck
Sin and Punishment Star Successor
Link’s Crossbow training
Metroid Prime 3

Third Party games:

FIFA
Madden
Madworld (same developer as Bayonetta but very different gameplay)
Samba de Amigo
Capcom vs. Tatsunoko
Zak and Wiki
Contra Rebirth
De Blob
The Conduit
Call of Duty
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Colors
Other Tony Hawk games
Guilty Gear XX
Super Monkey Ball games
Muramasa Demon Blade
Epic Mickey

Boy did I play the heck out of the Wii. It’s an all time great system for me after the Dreamcast, NES, and Switch.
You can add Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on Wii. I played that more than any other first party game on either console. Sin & Punishment too.

I vastly preferred DS and 3DS to Wii/WiiU though.

I mean Wii has Galaxy 2, and Wii U doesn't have Galaxy 2

and no Metroid on Wii U so, its officially a bad console. (sorry N64)

Back
Top Bottom